TiVo now gets sued by Motorola...relating to DVR patents

Sounds like TiVo has no friends. I seem them going out of business by the time all these law suits are over. If Echostar buys them who has to show up for court? Old TiVo Group or Echostar? If Echostar then Charlie won't buy them out right.

TiVo is on the ropes now and they know it. Not sure what Charlie is planning in regards to TiVo, but he needs to make a decision soon. He waits too much longer and TiVo stock may well be worthless. Hell, maybe that's what he's waiting for.

Just let them die, would be my thought. Seems like everyone now is going after them. Of course they really may deserve it, since allot of what they did in the past sue.

I am hearing some buzz that one more MAJOR company could be getting ready to unleash on TiVO as well, if this buzz is true it may indeed be the end of TiVO.

They didn't honestly expect to throw their legal weight around and not get some return fire, did they? Legal Karma, I say. Let it rain lawsuits, they reap what they sow.

I am hearing some buzz that one more MAJOR company could be getting ready to unleash on TiVO as well, if this buzz is true it may indeed be the end of TiVO.

Let's see now the line up is E*, AT&T, MS, & Motorola. About the only ones left not suing is D* or Apple. Starting to see why some of the head people took their "golden parachutes" and jumped.

Yes! I am really glad that TiVo is finally getting what they deserve. They have not brought any innovation at all to the table. They patented things that were already done by previous companies, and they have survived by trying to sue everyone they can with their worthless patents. I don't think that anyone would want to buy TiVo now. What would they be buying? A bunch of worthless patents?

Let's see now the line up is E*, AT&T, MS, & Motorola. About the only ones left not suing is D* or Apple. Starting to see why some of the head people took their "golden parachutes" and jumped.
D* and TiVo have agreements so I'm sure it's not them. I would presume this company has something close to DVR-like technology -- does Apple ?

Time Warner, Pioneer, Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco)... ah-hah ! Cisco bought SA a few years ago but it was speculated that SA had licensing from TiVo.

Yes! I am really glad that TiVo is finally getting what they deserve. They have not brought any innovation at all to the table. They patented things that were already done by previous companies, and they have survived by trying to sue everyone they can with their worthless patents. I don't think that anyone would want to buy TiVo now. What would they be buying? A bunch of worthless patents?

The only thief here is DISH.

The only thief here is DISH.

th_coffee.gif

Sounds like TiVo has no friends. I seem them going out of business by the time all these law suits are over. If Echostar buys them who has to show up for court? Old TiVo Group or Echostar? If Echostar then Charlie won't buy them out right.
Friends? Friends? The only friends they've got are their lawyers, and that friendship ends when the first check bounces.

They don't have a viable business plan (charging for providing EPG data), they don't have what many would consider the best DVR, they don't have the customer base they once did, they don't have the revenue stream they once did (from operations), and they don't have enough money to fight all the lawsuits coming and going to the bitter end. They don't even have unassailable patents. They've stirred up a hornets nest- or, perhaps more accurately, they have sown the wind and are now reaping the whirlwind.

I suspect some company in the future will buy their assets, and not the company as a whole. No point in taking on liabilities.

Tivo's best asset is their software, which is what all the lawsuits - for and against them - are about.

I can't agree with that anymore. At one time, if you overlooked the deadly cutesy and speed, it had good features. I think today they're just keeping others from making better s/w. Heck, I think ill thoughts of TiVo every time I hit skip back and it goes WAY too far back. They're just trying to make money by being spoilers. And they don't seem to be improving the product. Too many others with software in that class, or better. Certainly Dish DVRs are faster. And from what I read here, a lot of D* customers do not see any benefit to a D* TiVo.

D* and TiVo have agreements so I'm sure it's not them. I would presume this company has something close to DVR-like technology -- does Apple ?

Time Warner, Pioneer, Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco)... ah-hah ! Cisco bought SA a few years ago but it was speculated that SA had licensing from TiVo.

Was just thinking Big Companies in the video realm, not specifically DVR service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)