TiVo now gets sued by Motorola...relating to DVR patents

Software involves more than just the front-end that we see... the "cutsey" part... Fact is, the *concept* is what we all like and the problem is, that's the part that's patented.

The only thief here is DISH.

Kind of interesting that Moto is pointing out that the patents are before TiVo even started as a company. It will be hard for TiVo to claim that they developed the patented items first or had prior art... Dish may not have had patents to fight TiVo back with, but now TiVo has stepped in it and every high tech company involved in VZ and AT&T's boxes will step out of the woodwork and sue TiVo. Too much is patented in the high tech world for TiVo to survive without cross licenses.

The call has gone out, every company involved is searching their patent portfolios for patents that might catch TiVo. This is a worst case scenerio for TiVo. Companies like Microsoft/AT&T/VZ have more money in petty cash than TiVo is worth. They have legions searching. I wonder which company involved in the VZ/AT&T boxes will step forward next.

Does TiVo have the cash to simultaniously defend 5 big patent cases?

Would YOU invest money in them now? They sure aren't going to go on long without a cash influx, if these cases continue.

Charlie had the perfect chance to buy TiVo this time last year, but chose to waste more of our money in playing games with them. I don't think he's smart enough to buy them. He would probably pick up another bankrupt telcom with bandwidth before buying TiVo.

Charlie had the perfect chance to buy TiVo this time last year, but chose to waste more of our money in playing games with them. I don't think he's smart enough to buy them. He would probably pick up another bankrupt telcom with bandwidth before buying TiVo.

Which is smart. More bandwidth is better than a company that is being sued by everyone.

Yeah, if he was SMART he'd have built himself up from nothing to a Trillionaire instead of a mere Billionaire. :rolleyes:

D* and TiVo have agreements so I'm sure it's not them. I would presume this company has something close to DVR-like technology -- does Apple ?

Time Warner, Pioneer, Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco)... ah-hah ! Cisco bought SA a few years ago but it was speculated that SA had licensing from TiVo.

D* could sue over the lack of a new D*TIVO

I am hearing some buzz that one more MAJOR company could be getting ready to unleash on TiVO as well, if this buzz is true it may indeed be the end of TiVO.

My guess would be IBM. They have an absolutely mind numbingly huge patent portfolio, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had a few patents that Tivo infringed upon.

Would YOU invest money in them now? They sure aren't going to go on long without a cash influx, if these cases continue.

For $80 bucks you can buy a PUT with a $5 strike that expires in JAN 2013.

Huh may have to roll the dice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)