TiVo Rolls Out New DVR

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
TiVo Inc. began selling a new “Series2 DT” digital-video recorder Tuesday, designed to allow cable subscribers to record two channels at the same time.

The DVR, priced at $99, allows basic-only cable subscribers to record two analog channels simultaneously. Digital-cable subscribers who connect their set-tops to the DVR will be able to record one digital channel and one analog channel at the same time.

TiVo is also developing a digital-cable-ready DVR that will contain a smart-card slot that subscribers can use to decrypt cable programming -- eliminating the need for a cable set-top -- if they lease a CableCARD from their local operator.

That product -- which won digital-cable-ready certification from Cable Television Laboratories Inc. earlier this month -- is expected to hit retail shelves by the end of 2006, a TiVo spokeswoman said.

The new Series2 DT DVR is also compatible with the TiVoToGo service for portable media players, and it contains Ethernet and universal-serial-bus ports that enable home networking.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6328089.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2226

Why would I pay $99 for a Tivo and on top of this pay a monthly subscribtion fee for guide data that supports Tivo when a cable DVR can be gotten for free (besides the monthly dvr fee)?

The Tivo interface and it's functionality I think is much better than the cable's DVR.

The interface is that much better but the functionality is what really differentiates the Tivo from a 'regular' DVR.

Name / channel / time based recording vs having to go find a show in a grid guide.
Two weeks of guide data
Better guide data (first run flags etc).
Multi-room viewing (can watch / transfer recodings between Tivo Boxes - even resume from pause point in another room)
Schedule recordings from anywhere via web interface with e-mail confirmation
Tivo suggestions (which you can disable)
Transfer shows between the Tivo and your PC and vice versa.
View photos / listen to MP3s from your PC on the Tivo
View photos / listen to music from the Internet.
HME applications (Internet based games / music / information - whatever people dream up)

There is a bunch more I'm missing but Tivo is much more than a tapeless VCR. If you get a chance to try one out - do it. I was skeptical when I bought my first one and now watching TV without Tivo is annoying to me. I'm addicted - lol.

Finally two tuners. Now where is the TIVO HD box with two tuners. And I do not count Directv. Unless they can get two tuners and HD for OTA broadcasts, their time in the industr is limited. Maybe they can just survive off of lawsuits against other companies using DVR technology.

zman said:
Finally two tuners. Now where is the TIVO HD box with two tuners. And I do not count Directv. Unless they can get two tuners and HD for OTA broadcasts, their time in the industr is limited. Maybe they can just survive off of lawsuits against other companies using DVR technology.
The Series 3 will do just that. Due out any time now as it is slated for 2nd half of 2006. I plan on getting two. Two tuner, ATSC / QAM / Cablecard capable.

It's only for cable / off-air which at first I was pretty upset about... but then I realized that an external box that'll record uncompressed HD isn't going to come in anywhere near a consumer price point.

Most of what I record now is from off-air ATSC so this box will work out great for me. I'll have to switch back to Cox to record HD cable channels.

Is the series 3 really coming anytime soon? I checked tivo's page and there's nothing there about it. With google all I find is some report from january at the CES!

Shawn95GT said:
The Series 3 will do just that. Due out any time now as it is slated for 2nd half of 2006. I plan on getting two. Two tuner, ATSC / QAM / Cablecard capable.

It's only for cable / off-air which at first I was pretty upset about... but then I realized that an external box that'll record uncompressed HD isn't going to come in anywhere near a consumer price point.

Most of what I record now is from off-air ATSC so this box will work out great for me. I'll have to switch back to Cox to record HD cable channels.

Fgsilva said:
Is the series 3 really coming anytime soon? I checked tivo's page and there's nothing there about it. With google all I find is some report from january at the CES!
Well - The Tivo reps over at TCF wouldn't get any more specific than 2nd half 2006. Could be tomorrow, could be new year's eve.

I know I'm ordering at least one (probably two) as soon as they are released.

Sean Mota said:
Why would I pay $99 for a Tivo and on top of this pay a monthly subscribtion fee for guide data that supports Tivo when a cable DVR can be gotten for free (besides the monthly dvr fee)?

Why? Because your cable DVR is merely a glorified VCR. Simple as that.

Can your 'free' cable DVR...

1.) Differentiate between reruns and new airings and not record reruns?

2.) Automatically alter the recording dates or times if there is a change in programming? (ie. Extra episodes on a different night. 'Extended' episodes with longer times.)

3.) Automatically record a different showing of the same programming if one of your recordings will conflict with the same time slot?

4.) Allow for wishlist recordings? (ie. Automatic recording of specified actors' shows or recordings based on keywords in the program description.)

What happens when the TV seasons change? You start recording things you don't want to watch that fall in the same timeslot that something you previously liked was recorded. I don't have to worry about that. I have 'Season Passes' set up for every program I like. When new shows aren't airing it doesn't record. It also knows the difference between something that's in the same time slot in various seasons. I can set up two different Season Passes for the same time slot for two different shows and it knows the difference because Tribune Media assigns a program code to every show that plays. I don't care what time shows play because it takes care of that for me. As a matter of fact, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what any show's time slot is because I never have to deal with that. I tag the show once and let it figure out when the best airing occurs.

I can also download domestic or foreign programs off BitTorrent that I might not get otherwise and send them into my Tivo to be watched like any other program. Can your DVR do that?

Last edited:
pretzelboy said:
Why? Because your cable DVR is merely a glorified VCR. Simple as that.

Can your 'free' cable DVR...

1.) Differentiate between reruns and new airings and not record reruns??

Yup, mine sure can I have the SA 8300

pretzelboy said:
2.) Automatically alter the recording dates or times if there is a change in programming? (ie. Extra episodes on a different night. 'Extended' episodes with longer times.)?

Sure can I have mine set up to record lost and that is always ending at different times sometimes usually between 10:00-10:05, my dvr doesnt miss a beat and automatically adjust.

pretzelboy said:
3.) Automatically record a different showing of the same programming if one of your recordings will conflict with the same time slot?

I can schedule two programs to record at the same time, but if i tried to record a third in the same time slot it would inform me that I would have to cancel one of the other two recording

pretzelboy said:
4.) Allow for wishlist recordings? (ie. Automatic recording of specified actors' shows or recordings based on keywords in the program description.)

Never had it and it doesnt bother me that I dont have it

pretzelboy said:
What happens when the TV seasons change? You start recording things you don't want to watch that fall in the same timeslot that something you previously liked was recorded. I don't have to worry about that. I have 'Season Passes' set up for every program I like. When new shows aren't airing it doesn't record. It also knows the difference between something that's in the same time slot in various seasons. I can set up two different Season Passes for the same time slot for two different shows and it knows the difference because Tribune Media assigns a program code to every show that plays. I don't care what time shows play because it takes care of that for me. As a matter of fact, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what any show's time slot is because I never have to deal with that. I tag the show once and let it figure out when the best airing occurs.

Once again it knows the show is not on it work similar to a Tivo in that it goes by the show not the time slot

Well, apparently SA is licensing use from Tivo because every one of the items I listed are patents held by Tivo.

Pretzelboy,

I'm a huge Tivo fan and I've had both. As a matter of fact my 1st DVR was a SA8300HD.

While what hbk says is true, it's different. You schedule via the grid guide so the finding another recording in another timeslot is kind of a non-issue. You drill through the guide to record whatever. It will let you record other episodes via a function similar to tivo's season pass. I found that the guide data was MUCH better / reliable on Tivo but that could vary by market.

If one was to use both for a month I'm betting most would prefer te Tivo. I never got away from watching Live TV with the SA box. With the Tivo this happened inside of a week.

I'm ordering aTivo Seriess 3 the day they are on the market.

Last edited:
pretzelboy said:
Well, apparently SA is licensing use from Tivo because every one of the items I listed are patents held by Tivo.

I am not sure you are correct about that, my Comcast Moto DVR also will do items 1) and 2) on your list, it will not do 3) automatically, but it will warn me if their is a conflict and it is easy to find latter showings and easy to set it to record at a latter time using the info butten. It has 2 tuners to record 2 shows at once, if I am not mistaken all except the newest SA Tivo has only 1 tuner, not 2 like most cable and satellite DVR's. I agree that the Tivo may have less bugs and a nicer interface then my Comcast DVR and it does not do # 4), but I can record 2 digital channels at once or 2 analog channels at once or one of each, can your Tivo do that without 2 extra digital STB's? My DVR is my digital STB, if you have a SA Tivo and digital cable, you will need to have at least 2 STB's on top of your TV, at least 1 Tivo and at least 1 digital cable STB. :)

Comcast is licensing a Tivo-powered box to be out soon so their existing software may be covered.

Tivo definitely has the patent on 1 and 2. That falls under Tivo's "Time Machine" patent.

Yes, the most recent Tivo is Dual Tuner. That's the first for them. Unfortunately, it only does 1 analog and 1 digital. I imagine that's just an issue of how to control two boxes using the same IR codes. The series 3 will have multiple tuners.

Shawn95GT said:
I found that the guide data was MUCH better / reliable on Tivo but that could vary by market.

Really? I wouldn't imagine the guide data would be any different since most everyone, if not everyone, uses Tribune for their guide data. I'm not even sure that's there's anyone else out there providing data any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)