TIVO Romeo with Brighthouse M-Card cannot access International Channels

BillB4543

Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
United States
I am in Orlando Florida with Brighthouse cable service.
I bought TIVO Romeo to replace the rental Brighthouse DVR I have now. We pay for TV Japan [wife is Japanese] which is an SDV channel. I called Brighthouse before I bought the TIVO and asked if it would be able to receive this channel. I was told yes - I would need an M-Card and a Tuning Adapter.
So I bought the TIVO Romeo and went to Brighthouse and picked up an M-Card and Tuning adapter. Brought them home and set them up, and tried to initialize, without success.
I have had 2 techs and their resident M-Card/Tuning Adapter expert come to my house to try to get this setup working. At first, I only got basic channels. The second tech managed to get standard channels enabled after much confusion. I still can not get TV Japan, which is SDV.
Now their expert is telling me that the Tuning Adapter is sending the correct code to Brighthouse to tell them to stream TV Japan to me. He claims the M-Card can not decrypt the channel because there is no "Billing Code" set up to tell the M-Card in the TIVO to send. There is no hardware based limitation to receiving the channel. They just don't have a "billing code" set up to program into the M-Card. I said well go type one in. He said they cant' do that. Only the Brighthouse "engineers" can do that.
No TV Japan is a deal killer in my house. Without it, the Romeo will make a great door stop. Its been too long to return it. Can anyone chime in here and advise if there is any solution that I can pursue. Interesting side fact is one guy said it will work with a Spanish channel. The expert said no international channels - including TV Japan, India TV etc.

Help and Thanks !

It sounds like complete incompetence with the cable techs. I have tuning adapters and they work. I wonder if there is a way to complain to the FCC, they are the ones that are supposed to police the cable companies with respect to cable cards.

What I would do is wait until M-F 9-5 and call then. That is when you have the best luck of getting a senior tech on the line that can probably fix it. Most cable companies have a special phone number for cable card support. Look under setting and cable card to see if they have a special call number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts