1. SatelliteGuys will be OFFLINE for a portion of Saturday!

Due to system upgrades, SatelliteGuys will be offline for part of Saturday beginning Saturday Morning! While we are offline you will see error messages saying the site is unreachable, this is to be expected! We will be back online as soon as possible! Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Thanks for being part of SatelliteGuys!
    CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
    Dismiss Notice

Tivo vs Tablo

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by Jackonearth, May 18, 2018.

1. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

Indeed. I think when I bought mine it was below $200 with lifetime. Dont remember the particulars of the deal (found on slickdeals), but it was almost too good to be true.

2. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

TiVo is doing a pretty good job of not flooding the market with hardware. They know that the lifetime of today's OTA-capable TiVo is likely to be capped by the arrival of Next-Gen TV but if they play a little hard-to-get, interest will remain.

3. radio

radio "On the Air" in MI
    Pub Member / Supporter

I find them to be as good as any grid-based system I've used. (keeping in mind the programming is coming via the web and will take a moment to start streaming like anything else.)

Hope that helps!

4. harshness

Given that few know what pay TV services you've used, a number of seconds would be much more useful.

Early reports were 15-30 seconds.

10 seconds can seem like an eternity; especially when you're live streaming.

5. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014!
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Advantage: Satellite.

6. harshness

The advantage used to go to analog OTA with consistently instant channel changes.

7. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014!
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Different physics.

But, if 5G is remotely what they claim.....

8. harshness

So much speculation about technology that hasn't really been put to real-world application. It should go farther, be more resistant to interference of all kinds and should make every day shinier than the day before.

I don't imply that it can't be what they promise it to be. I do insist that simulations and models are just that and how things go down is subject to considerable modification.

9. Jackonearth

Jackonearth Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

Can we please get a stopwatch reading? I mean, for example, the Xfinity X1 feels slow changing channels. I'd say about 5 seconds maybe a bit more.

10. radio

radio "On the Air" in MI
    Pub Member / Supporter

Honestly? Is this a race? If you folks are that picky about changing channels, you're far above my league in being particular about electronics.
    I'm sorry if the world isn't fast enough for some of you and that you need that kind of "rating" to decide on something.
    No, I'm not going to bother. I'm happy with the Tablo, it's served me well for many years, and splitting hairs over a few seconds is not what I do on this site.
    Sorry, Guys.

11. Jackonearth

Believe me, I'm not above anyone when it comes to electronics and I don't even watch broadcast TV but the wife does and yeah, she is picky. If I get her a slow DVR, I'll never, ever, hear the end of it and then I'll end up throwing myself off the Golden Gate Bridge. :tombstone:angel

#31 Jackonearth, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  12. radio

radio "On the Air" in MI
    Pub Member / Supporter

Sorry. normally I'd jump to help another member here, really I would...and most who know me would agree..but when it's something as silly as a second or three load time I can't believe anyone, even your wife would be that worried or petty. If that's the criteria for buying something, for God's sake, take her to a bestbuy or similar, put the remote in her hand and let her decide. I'm not going to be part of something that minute. Can't nail down a reason myself except that I fight much bigger fights as a broadcaster every day, especially lately and when I finish my day, I'm GRATEFUL for the technology in my Tablo. Load time was never an issue for me. (and, it depends on factors like your internet speed in-home and the signal strength of the TV signal received.)

Good luck to your wife, and to you. I hope whatever you decide to own doesn't land you on a divorce court TV show.

satnewb and primestar31 like this.
  13. Jackonearth

The moral of the story folks, is don't get married.
    It doesn't matter now anyway, I'm taking the leap and I'm taking the X1 box with me. Tell Comcast they can go after my wife for the unreturned equipment fees. So long cruel world! Geronimo... :wave

#33 Jackonearth, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  14. harshness

A second or three isn't an issue but if it is 15-30 seconds as some had observed, that's nuts.

15. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

It's ON again, jump QUICKLY if you want one for $290.15! This is for OTA tv only, which means you need an antenna for your local channels.

P.S. You can drop in up to a 3TB drive, and it'll format and set itself up with no further work. You can go even higher (if you got guts to go more than 3TB), after running a small utility available at a link at MFS Reformatter (mfsr)

#35 primestar31, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    pamajestic, harshness and osu1991 like this.
  16. pamajestic

pamajestic SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

You can also add an after market cable card adapter and use it on a cable system. The adapters were $35 on eBay the last time I looked.

17. Jackonearth

How does that work?

18. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

Pull the cable card bracket out of any cable ready Roamio or Bolt and put it in the Roamio OTA and it becomes cable ready. Just redo setup for cable instead of OTA once you have a cable card. I’ve done it in 2 of mine.

There are a couple of aftermarket brackets that can work as the OEM TiVo bracket is hard to find, other than in old tivos.

I have a bad cable tuner in one of my Roamios, so I took the bracket out and put it in the OTA Roamio and made it my cable dvr and the other with the bad cable tuner became OTA only.

My sister has a Bolt which came with one of Service, when that one year had expired, we got a cheap Roamio OTA with lifetime on sale and swapped the bracket in and made it her cable dvr.

The Roamio and Bolts can do cable or OTA. The only difference between a Roamio OTA and Roamio Basic is the cable card bracket. Everything else is the same

19. Jackonearth

Does the bracket contain the tuners?

20. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

Separate names with a comma.

More...