TiVo with 211?

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
I have two DISH-powered television sets, the first is in our primary viewing area, which has the 622 ViP and a 57" Sony HDTV. The second is in our eating area, where my original DISH 301 is, now playing thru a new Polaroid 26" LCD HDTV (awesome) , with a TiVo Series 2. When I bought the 622, I kept the 942 I just got in October, thinking I would put it where the 301/TiVo is. However, the 942 is not going to get me a lot of HD content now, and will be essentially an SD box, with OTA HD in March 2007. I bought the lifetime service plan with the TiVo, and, notwithstanding their suing DISH, I do like their system as a PVR. I am thinking about a 211 for this location, with the TiVo to allow time shifting, pause and play, etc., realizing I will not be able to record HD content. My question is whether anyone out there has a TiVo hooked up with their 211, and, if so, any bugaboos I should know?

Thanks

The 211 has a screen saver that kicks in after a period of idleness. There is a disable button, but it does not work. Therefore, the screen saver will kick in while the TiVo is recording and ruin your recording. Wait until Dish fixes this problem, before buying a 211.

jerryez said:
The 211 has a screen saver that kicks in after a period of idleness. There is a disable button, but it does not work. Therefore, the screen saver will kick in while the TiVo is recording and ruin your recording. Wait until Dish fixes this problem, before buying a 211.

That is good to know, many thanks:)

Can you not record down-rezzed/letterboxed HD channels (simultaneously output via the S-Video) on the 211, as you can on the 811? No, it's not HD, but you can record those channels on the Tivo, right?

And is there any workaround for the screensaver issue at present?

You can set the screen saver to kick in after 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. I set mine at 8 and it still kicks in many times sometimes before the 8 hours is up. I also set timers to change channels every 8 hours, to keep the screen saver from kicking in, but sometimes the timer changes channels while the TiVo is recording another channel. SO the answer is there are not work arounds. Dish needs to fix the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts