Tivo with External Hard Drive Features

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
tivo-s3-drive.jpg

TiVo let on that November was going to be the month that both TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing became a reality, and now with only a week to go it's finally here. But that's not all TiVo's taken the occasion to announce: in addition to being able to stream shows between your TiVos (MRV) and copy programming from a TiVo to your PC (TiVoToGo), TiVo has also announced (hack free) eSATA drive support along with Western Digital's My DVR Expander, which, for $199, will expand your TiVo with 500GB of space (a good 65 hours of HD). Another new feature included with this release is progressive downloads, which means you won't have to wait for TiVoCast and Unbox videos to finish downloading before you can start enjoying them. Instead, the TiVo will figured out how much of a buffer is required for uninterrupted viewing and let you start watching as soon as possible. While most of these features have been a long time coming, we can only imagine how excited TiVo owners are to know that the wait is over -- assuming they've already signed up for the priority list to received the 9.2 update.

Here is Link:TiVo Series3 and HD FINALLY get TiVoToGo, MRV, eSATA drive, other new features - Engadget

Watch out dish.. Tivo might file a lawsuit, claiming to being first with the external hard drive feature on there dvr models. I will be a witness and testify dish came out with this feature first.

DISH may claim to have the best DVR and they may be right as far as interface goes, but Tivo is rocking the feature set. Multi-room viewing and Tivo2Go are super hot features that would be killer on the 622 or 722. Too bad DISH will never let their receivers work with anything other than an Archos plugged straight in to the STB. I would love to be able to archive to my NAS and manage my shows through my PC.

I guess hollywood is really to blame though. If the studios would just open up and let the consumer have the fair use rights we deserve, I think they'd find that they'd make more money than they'll make by resisting the changes and making life difficult for the consumer and trying to bleed us dry of every dime they can every chance they get.

TIVO always was open to adding new features and allowing the user to move content. As for the out of pocket price of that unit and everything it needs, HELL NO.

The real question will be can you download to the HD stream to the PC without degradation. I will be quite surprised if the HOLLYWOOD MOB let tivo do that.