tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

road man

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Florida
I have been thinking about getting a Tivo to use on Directv. Anyone have any suggestions?

Which part? The Tivo or the Directv?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think he means the TiVo. I've been thinking about the TiVo myself, since I have one for OTA, but I can't tell you whether it's a good idea for having one for DirecTV since I don't have any experience in that area.

I have been thinking about getting a Tivo to use on Directv. Anyone have any suggestions?
The ONLY TiVo box currently available for use with Directv is the THR22 DirecTiVo box. The main complaint with it is that the software is ancient compared to the TiVo Roamio. The DirecTiVo box is basically an old HR22 Directv HD DVR with old TiVo software installed instead of Directv's. No other new TiVo box will work with Directv,not the Premiere & not the Roamio. Also the THR22 does not work with Directv's whole home DVR system. It cannot see any other Directv DVR in the house,including another THR22. Your best bet is to go with the Genie for Directv,& if you have OTA,use the TiVo Roamio for that.

Reactions: dfergie
Yes, if you go DirecTV, don't go TiVo. As royrdsjr says, the THR22 is based on an old DirecTv DVR, with old TiVo software, and with apparently no likelihood of anything changing. If you go DirecTV, get a Genie (preferably HR44).
If you have FIOS available in your area, then TiVo is a good option with that service.

No, no, no, no, God no, heck no, run away! Stay away from TiVo!

For everybody else, don't get a TiVo! For the love of all that's right in this world (given it's not much anymore) don't even let it simmer in your mind! No to TiVo!

;)

I'd take it in a different direction and ask if you have used the DirecTV HD-DVR interface. The HR24 and Genie lines operate very well, have strong on-demand libraries, decent storage, reliability, etc. They have improved significantly over the past couple years.

Tivo has an excellent system as well with their Roamio lines, but they are cable only and will not support either satellite service.
As mentioned, the DirecTV Tivo is very outdated and was nearly obsolete the day they launched it.

I decided to go with the Genie and keep one of the HD dvr's. Thanks for all the input about the Tivo. I could have made a two year contract mistake!!

The ONLY TiVo box currently available for use with Directv is the THR22 DirecTiVo box. The main complaint with it is that the software is ancient compared to the TiVo Roamio. The DirecTiVo box is basically an old HR22 Directv HD DVR with old TiVo software installed instead of Directv's. No other new TiVo box will work with Directv,not the Premiere & not the Roamio. Also the THR22 does not work with Directv's whole home DVR system. It cannot see any other Directv DVR in the house,including another THR22. Your best bet is to go with the Genie for Directv,& if you have OTA,use the TiVo Roamio for that.

Good reply post. Just to add: THR22 is based on the OLD Series 3 (648, HD/HDXL) software and UI (since S3, we have seen Premiere [Series 4] and the now the Roamio [Series 5]). That's how OLD the THR22 platform is. Series 3 platform came out back in 2006!

Further, the THR22 lacks just about all the features found on the retail versions such as transferring recordings to other TiVo boxes, access to OTT services such as Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus just to name a few. I don't think the THR22 can even access podcasts and other on-line content like CNET, Revision 3, and Twit, just to name a few.

The THR22 is really only for hardcore TiVo fanboys who simply prefer the (OLD) TiVo UI and the general "TiVo Experience" (little critter, colors, and "ba-doops" sounds) or just simply view a TiVo in any form superior or preferred to any DVR out there today no matter how OLD the platform. This box was made as part of an agreement on the condition that TiVo agrees to NOT sue DirecTV for patent infringement, as TiVo sued just about other MVPD.

Agreed, if one is going to subscribe to DirecTV, go with a Genie and get the most out of your subscription. The THR22 is all bout limitations and obsolecnse.

Maybe someday there will be a Genie with Roamio software and all the Tivo perks.

Maybe someday there will be a Genie with Roamio software and all the Tivo perks.
Perhaps in the event that AT&T buys TiVo.

I would imagine that DIRECTV has already lost quite a bit of money on the TiVo deal that they made in 2008 (marketing requirements, etc.).

DIRECTV's current agreement with Tivo expires February 15th, 2015. We'll know more about what to expect if DIRECTV takes the option to extend the TiVo agreement to 2018 in the next six months or so.

I do have a Tivo 2 (lifetime) I thought I would try it in the Motorhome on OTA when I camping.I have it on the cable box now, and that was the big factor helping me decide against another Tivo.

wow... Tivo is so awful, etc. -
well maybe so, I have a genie with 3 mini's, and a HD Tivo. After 6 months I casually checked the two, and, surprise, family members used the tivo more. Thinking it was location, I moved it to another room where a mini had been - use remained the same.
oddly enough the watch anywhere option seemed to make little impact- I think I may be the only really using it (genie only of course).
I suppose if you are hung up on tivo, or hung up on anti-tivo, you can get all excited about one one or the other, for me not so much. Having used direct's own SD units, and SD tivos, I have to admit direct has made progress with their interface.
having been with direct since it was only available in Louisiana , Mississippi, etc., I do hope that they will continue to improve.
While my only business with AT&T has been POTS, the many horror stories do worry me a bit as to what may be coming.
But I'll keep the torches and pitchforks in storage for the moment.

Tivo's are good boxes but only for cable service or OTA like the Roamio's mentioned, But Directv version... well everybody already said how outdated they are, No Whole Home Service with it is a big no no.

I liked my TiVo Premiere box. When I put up an OTA antenna I plan on breaking it back out to use with that. Since the OTA channel options are so few here in the Augusta,GA CSRA area,I figure the Premiere will be good enough for that. Now if I lived in Atlanta,GA area with more OTA choices,then I'd upgrade to a Roamio.

I do have a Type two Tivo to try with OTA when in the Motor Home next summer. It didnt cost much and came with Lifetime. Right now it is conected to a cable box that only has basic tv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts