TN Titans owner Bud Adams sounding off (somewhat) about the NFL Draft

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
I heard this via the NBC affiliate in Nashville,TN (WSMV) during the sportscast on their 10pm news.Titans owner Bud Adams was quoted earlier today as saying,"Having the third pick in the draft,we should get a pretty good quarterback".It appears the Titans will go after a QB (Leinart,Young,Cutler?) with their first pick (3rd overall) in the upcoming draft after all.QB Steve McNair had been quoted a few days earlier as saying that he didn't want to go through the process of training/grooming a QB for their future,which is what the Oilers/Titans done for him when he was drafted.Looking at McNair's age and questions about his health,he doesn't figure to be in the Titans plans much longer anyway.He is currently signed on for one more season.

steve615 said:
I heard this via the NBC affiliate in Nashville,TN (WSMV) during the sportscast on their 10pm news.Titans owner Bud Adams was quoted earlier today as saying,"Having the third pick in the draft,we should get a pretty good quarterback".It appears the Titans will go after a QB (Leinart,Young,Cutler?) with their first pick (3rd overall) in the upcoming draft after all.QB Steve McNair had been quoted a few days earlier as saying that he didn't want to go through the process of training/grooming a QB for their future,which is what the Oilers/Titans done for him when he was drafted.Looking at McNair's age and questions about his health,he doesn't figure to be in the Titans plans much longer anyway.He is currently signed on for one more season.

If Steve McNair doesn't want to help groom a young Qb like the Oilers/Titans did for him then I hope he breaks both legs in a Mini-camp, and hope he gets cut.

Not wanting to return the favor of helping groom a QB after a teams keeps you for years...bad times and good is just selfish.

Steve McNair would not be half the QB without the grooming he got.

A good example of what can happen to a good QB prospect without the proper grooming is Joey Harrington.

RVD420 said:
Not wanting to return the favor of helping groom a QB after a teams keeps you for years...bad times and good is just selfish.

Steve McNair would not be half the QB without the grooming he got.

A good example of what can happen to a good QB prospect without the proper grooming is Joey Harrington.
I agree RVD420.I wonder if McNair is suffering from Alzheimer's from all of the hits that he's taken over the years.:confused: I guess he's forgotten what Warren Moon and Chris Chandler had done for him in his younger days as a pro QB when they were in Houston.On another note,Bud Adams has also been quoted as saying that he "likes the kid down the street." referring to Jay Cutler from Vanderbilt.It appears that Cutler's star has risen considerably recently.It's been reported in the local (Nashville) media that several NFL teams have an eye on him these days.I've noticed that even Mel Kiper,Jr. from ESPN is moving Cutler up on his projected draft scenario.

Agent:Titans want McNair's contract status resolved

From www.espn.com Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair was asked to leave the team's training facility when he reported Monday for offseason workouts,his agent and team sources confirmed.McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract situation is resolved,according to James "Bus" Cook,who represents McNair."Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out,he wasn't welcome at the facility," said Cook."Heck,he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason."Cook said there had been no warning of the team's position.Titans sources said it was a decision made by owner Bud Adams,who apparently fears that an offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract.Titans coach Jeff Fisher,who was in Los Angeles observing USC QB Matt Leinart in a private workout Monday,declined to elaborate but said,"Things got blown out of proportion....We'll get it straightened out."McNair is scheduled to make $10 million in 2006,including a $1 million team penalty because the Titans declined to exercise a three year option.His salary cap charge is almost $24 million,and the team is trying to get McNair to restructure his deal.It has been speculated that the team could release McNair if there is not a new contract in place in the near future."The reason his salary cap is $24 million is because they kept asking him to restructure every year to create space," Cook said."This guy has done everything for the team,and he has two or three really good years left.Now they treat him like this."

There is also some speculation on www.foxsports.com that McNair could possibly end up in Baltimore if things aren't resolved between him and the Titans.

With the way things appear to be going between McNair and the Titans lately,I figure that they are looking to pick up either Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler with their first pick in the draft.Leinart is familiar with Norm Chow,the Titans offensive coordinator.Chow was hired away from USC by the Titans.But,Bud Adams has made it known to the local (Nashville) media that he likes Cutler from Vanderbilt.

steve615 said:
There is also some speculation on www.foxsports.com that McNair could possibly end up in Baltimore if things aren't resolved between him and the Titans.

steve, BALTIMORE????

is he on probation or parole????:eek:

just wondering, i thought that was a requirement to play in baltimore. LOL

dragon002 said:
steve, BALTIMORE????

is he on probation or parole????:eek:

just wondering, i thought that was a requirement to play in baltimore. LOL
dragon....lol...just passing on what I read on www.foxsports.com NFL news section....with the way this thing between McNair and the Titans is turning into a soap opera :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing with another team in the near future.They still have Billy Volek,he's not an all-pro QB,but he's not too shabby either...:) come to think of it,McNair was "charged" with DUI in Nashville a year or so ago,but managed to get out of that.

McNair's agent to Titans:Rework deal,trade him or cut him

Things appear to be getting much nastier very quickly now between the Titans and McNair.This is from www.wsmv.com The TN Titans' 11 year relationship with QB Steve McNair was crumbling Tuesday,perhaps beyond repair.The Titans said they can't afford his $23.46 million hit under the salary cap a day after barring their winningest QB from working out at the team's training center.Agent Bus Cook said that means three options:"It's either rework the deal to something that makes sense for us,trade him or cut him."A deal may not be easy,either."You tell the guy who's the mainstay of the organization,the leader,to get out,that's pretty rough.I don't know what Steve will do or won't do.I imagine he would have a hard time going back over there," Cook said.The NFL's 2003 co-MVP,McNair took the Titans to two AFC Championship games and one Super Bowl.He is 81-59 in his career,but turned 33 in February and has played through a variety of injuries.Now McNair is due $9 million in salary in the final year of his contract.The Titans declined last month to pick up a $50 million option to stretch the deal through 2009,leaving McNair with a salary cap figure that takes up nearly a quarter of their cap space."We have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury," the team said in a statement."This is entirely a risk management problem." This latest move couldn't have been handled more clumsily.GM Floyd Reese,coach Jeff Fisher and a handful of other top officials were in L.A. for a private workout and dinner with USC QB Matt Leinart on Monday.The Titans hold the No. 3 pick in the draft,and owner Bud Adams wants a QB.McNair reported for the team's offseason conditioning program when a trainer told him he couldn't work out for fear of injury.The team's general counsel called Cook and told him McNair can't return without a new deal."It was unfortunate the way this thing played out yesterday,but we think both Steve and Bus understand the team's position,"according to the Titans' statement."Other clubs facing the the same dilemma have arrived at the same conclusion we did."The Titans said they look forward to McNair returning once his contract is resolved.Cook isn't sure what McNair,whom he described as confused and shocked by the team's latest move,wants now.The Titans said they have been negotiating in good faith with McNair.Cook said they talked a couple of times about the deal but that GM Floyd Reese called him Tuesday morning wanting to talk to him later this week." I don't see a way to restructure the deal and add years to a contract unless those future years have some guarantees with them,"Cook said."Why restructure the deal and in essence be paid the same amount of money this year that you're going to get anyway and add years that have no guarantees with them.It doesn't make any sense."This certainly is the boldest personnel move by the Titans,who have spent the past few seasons working themselves out of a salary cap mess.They let all-time leading rusher Eddie George attend offseason minicamps as he rehabilitated from two surgeries before releasing him in July 2004.Safety Lance Schulters kept working in their building as he recovered from a foot injury before being cut in June 2005 when they couldn't reach a new salary cap friendly deal.

Last edited:
Things are 'Cook'-ing on QB front

From www.nfl.com Tennessee told Steve McNair to stay away from its training facility,and now the QB may have little choice but to go away.For good.McNair's agent,Bus Cook,wondered aloud whether his client would be willing to restructure his deal for a team that acted the way it did April 3."I would think the way this whole thing was handled,it's going to be pretty difficult for Steve to walk back through those doors," Cook said."After (Monday),I'm not sure that anything (with the Titans) is going to make sense for Steve.He's disappointed.He doesn't understand why this happened and even if there's a reason why that's his problem,his question is,'Why did you handle it the way you did?' " Fair question.The Titans issued a release today,saying,in part:"With the offseason conditioning program under way,we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury.This is entirely a risk-management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve,for what he means to our franchise,and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person.It was unfortunate the way this played out (Monday),but we think both Steve and Bus understand the team's position."To help Cook and McNair fully understand the situation,Titans GM Floyd Reese called the QB's agent today,saying he would like to meet once he returns from Los Angeles,where Tennessee entertained Trojans QB Matt Leinart.But the two might not have alot to discuss.As of today,the Titans were a mere $462,673 under the salary cap,and that doesn't include signing the upcoming draft's No. 3 overall pick.Tennessee is going to have to find more cap room and the place it has always found it is with McNair,who carries a $23.45 million salary cap figure for the coming season.This time,it doesn't sound as if McNair is going to be so understanding.What McNair and his agent are already confused about is why the Titans have been so passive about reworking his contract.Cook said the Titans have submitted only one reworked contract offer to him,and it includes the same contract numbers,only with three more years tacked onto the deal.Cook said he submitted a counter-offer about 3 weeks ago,and never heard anything back.Now the two sides will will attempt to get together again,but they might have no choice but to head to divorce court.It is what multiple teams around the league are forecasting,cloudy skies in Tennessee.Should it go the way many now envision,Baltimore will be the first team lined up for McNair.Ravens head coach Brian Billick and GM Ozzie Newsome have made no secret of the fact that they would like to bring in an established,veteran QB.Some speculated it would be Kerry Collins,but Baltimore has not offered enough money to lure him out of the idea of retiring.Now,another QB could become available who would appeal to Baltimore even more.And no other QB would be a better fit for the Ravens than McNair,the QB who beat them so often in the past.

Ex-Titan Mason feels McNair treated unfairly by team

From www.nashvillecitypaper.com With Steve McNair in limbo with the Tennessee Titans,even former teammates were inquiring about the situation Tuesday.Former Titans WR Derrick Mason,who is now with the Baltimore Ravens,wondered about what transpired as McNair was asked to leave Baptist Sports Park Monday and stay away until his contract situation could be resolved.McNair counts $23.463 million against the Titans salary cap,and in a statement Tuesday,the organization reiterated what GM Floyd Reese had told The City Paper last week that the team cannot carry that high a cap figure into the 2006 season.Mason,McNair's favorite target for much of his time in Tennessee,expressed dismay over the situation."It's a business,and players for the most part understand that,but Steve is the guy who made that franchise-not the Oilers,but the Titans," Mason said."They basically rode Steve and Eddie (George) to a Super Bowl,and I hate to see him treated like that,not even being allowed in the facility."Mason himself was part of a salary cap purge before the 2005 season,being one of six players released in order to get the Titans under the salary cap.He signed with the Ravens where he had 86 catches for 1,073 yards and 3 TDs in 2005.With McNair's future in Tennessee very much in jeopardy,a reunion with Mason has been mentioned as a strong possibility both in speculation and in some reports from Baltimore."No one has said anything to me about it,probably because they're not really supposed to talk about player under contract to another team,but the Ravens are looking for a QB," Mason said."They have some interest in Kerry Collins,and they had some interest in Brian Griese (who signed with Chicago) and Daunte Culpepper when he was on the trading block.I'm sure if a guy like Steve McNair became available,there would be a number of teams interested in him."

NFLPA files grievance against Titans

This was reported on WTVF,CBS affiliate in Nashville a short while ago.The NFLPA is filing a grievance with the Titans on Steve McNair's behalf,seeking to force the Titans to either allow him to continue his offseason training/conditioning with the team or let him go.I figured this was going to get nasty when the Titans denied McNair access to their training facility.

NFLPA files greivance on behalf of QB McNair

From www.nfl.com The NFL Players Association filed a grievance against the Titans on behalf of Steve McNair,accusing the team of breaching the QBs contract when it barred him from working out at its facility.McNair was told April 3 he couldn't work out at the Titans' training property until his contract is reworked.If McNair got hurt during the offseason workouts,the Titans would be on the hook for his entire salary cap figure for 2006.The NFLPA filed a greivance for breach of contract on McNair's behalf late on April 7,general counsel Richard Berthelsen said."He has a contract and he wants to comply with that contract,especially that part that says he must remain in excellent physical condition and give the best of his ability to the club," Berthelsen said."And they're trying to keep him from fulfilling that function for the sole reason they want him to renegotiate his contract so they have a better deal with him."The Titans have 10 days to respond."We respect Steve's right to use a grievance mechanism set up by the CBA for handling player and club differences," team spokesman Robbie Bohren said."We will study the grievance and respond in due course."A good explanation could end the grievance,but Berthelsen called that rare.The next step would be a hearing before an arbitrator,which either side could try to speed up within 10 days of the team's answer."We're going to wait and see what the answer says before we expedite,"Berthelsen said.The Titans chose in February not to pay a $50 million option that would have extended McNair's contract through 2009.Tennessee hold the No. 3 pick overall in the draft later this month,and owner Bud Adams has said he wants a QB taken with that choice.The Titans have met with Matt Leinart of USC,Vince Young of Texas and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler.The NFL's collective bargaining agreement requires players to take part in teams' offseason conditioning programs and remain in good physical shape.Berthelsen said this situation is the flip side of a player who holds out for a better contract."If Steve McNair is kept at home,he's not being employed.And his right to be on club property to prepare for the preseason and the regular season and to meet his contractual obligations to become and remain in excellent physical condition,if they're depriving him of that,they're breaching his contract and breaching the CBA," he said.That might lead to the end of McNair's 11 year tenure with the team that drafted him No. 3 overall in 1995."They have the contractual right to release him," Berthelsen said of the Titans."They do not have the contractual right to ban him from the premises."

Agent:Titans ask McNair to keep working out somewhere else

From www.sports.yahoo.com Nearly two weeks ago,Tennessee asked Steve McNair not to work out on the team's property for fear an injury would give the Titans a devastating salary cap hit.Now his agent says the Titans have told McNair to continue to stay away."They've instructed him to work out somewhere else other than their facility," agent Bus Cook said Friday.The Titans have a few more days to respond to a grievance filed last week by the players union on behalf of McNair for barring him from team facilities.The NFLPA could ask for an expedited hearing to be held within 10 days depending on the response.The Titans will have to re-negotiate McNair's contract or release him to create enough salary cap room to sign their draft picks or even add other players."If they think they're going to draft a QB,whoever it is,and Steve's going to be a backup after this year,that's not Steve's thought process I'm sure and certainly not mine," Cook said.Cook said he hadn't talked to Titans GM Floyd Reese in nearly 2 weeks and hadn't received a response since he countered the team's original offer in January.Reese did not return a telephone message Friday evening.Asked if the Titans are trying to wait out McNair like they did RB Eddie George in 2004 before George finally rejected a pay cut and asked for his release,Cook said it seemed like instant replay."Steve's got alot more left apparently than Eddie did at that time.No knock on Eddie.Eddie found other employment.I'm sure Steve can find other employment.Someone in this league will take Steve McNair on their team." Cook said.

Whichever QB gets drafted by the Titans better make sure to get a guaranteed contract. I'm not ususally pro-player on contract issues, but the way the Titans have treated McNair is despicable.

dragon002 said:
steve,

why are your shorts all knotted up? with or without McNair, the titans arent going anywhere. IMHO a Steeler fan.
lol.....dragon,the shorts aren't knotted up over here in the least...I'm simply posting info that I am finding online about the situation,or "soap opera",so to say,between the Titans and McNair...I will agree with you in the short term,the Titans aren't going anywhere anytime soon....but,if you have time,take a good look at some of their recent free agent signings.....It appears that they are actually attempting to put a team together that would be more competitive...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts