Tnt HD Error??

BASDSucks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
PA
I just got my HD dvr system installed yesterday and i was browsing all the HD channels and when i went to TNT i got this error message.. "Due to the Features on your tv, this even is not available to view in HD format"

Is that caused by me using a component connection? I got a hdmi cable ordered from amazon and its on the way.. am i out of luck on watching that channel until then?

I don't think it's your component connection then. Do you have TNT SD available? It might be an authorization issue and you will need to call them.
ya the sd is fine, when i hit "Ok" Or "Cancel" on the error mesage it automatically changes the channel to the sd feed

i called, and the guy i talked to said that hes gotten a few calls of the same error message today and the only thing that was done was he submited a support ticket..

EDIT...

I did the check switch thing, it seemed to work, but it took about 2 minutes for it to change from a black screen to the channel

Last edited:
TNT HD Problem

This is the screen quote I got when I tuned to TNT HD tonight:

New Program provider rules for viewing this channel require a High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)-capable connection between your satellite receiver and your television.
If your television does not have a HDCP-capable connection or if it does not support HDCP standards you may watch this program in lower-than-high-definition signal quality.
Please contact your television manufactuer or visit
DISH Network -- Home

I've had the following setup ever since my 622 install in April 2006
Current set-up:
Toshiba 50HX70 and vip622 connected via Y,PB,PR Colorstream-there is no HDMI connection on this tv as it was built before HDMI.
The owners manual states that Colorstream 1 HD and Colorstream 2 HD provide 1080i video and to my eye appears as such.

Any thoughts?

New Program provider rules for viewing this channel require a High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)-capable connection between your satellite receiver and your television.
If your television does not have a HDCP-capable connection or if it does not support HDCP standards you may watch this program in lower-than-high-definition signal quality.
DISH Network -- Home

Current set-up:
Toshiba 50HX70 and vip622 connected via Y,PB,PR Colorstream-there is no HDMI connection on this tv as it was built before HDMI.
The owners manual states that Colorstream 1 HD and Colorstream 2 HD provide 1080i video and to my eye appears as such.

Any thoughts?
Three

1) I was getting that message on History HD but the Check Switch restored it. Whew! (and mine is hooked via HDMI...see below)

2) Component (i.e. Colorstream) connections are NOT HDCP compliant (some DVIs were...all HDMIs are)

3) It is doubtful that HDCP will ever be used for "normal" HD channels.

DISH Network -- Home

Current set-up:

Any thoughts?

Now TNT HD is working I have no idea what is going on either. All other HD channels came in fine before this message came up and they all are now working fine including the off-air HD channels. I'm not about to buy a new tv just to get HDMI

That pretty much answers the question. This was a problem earlier this year for some DIRECTV receivers. The issue was that the flag for HDCP was being incorrectly interpreted. This is probably just an accident, but it will become an issue down the road.
Current set-up:

Any thoughts?
HDCP requires a digital connection such as DVI-I or HDMI and your set doesn't support either of those standards. As the programmers start demanding HDCP adherence, component connections are going to become quite undesirable. IIRC, HBO has stated that they are going to be using HDCP features in the near future.

Three

1) I was getting that message on History HD but the Check Switch restored it. Whew! (and mine is hooked via HDMI...see below)

2) Component (i.e. Colorstream) connections are NOT HDCP compliant (some DVIs were...all HDMIs are)

3) It is doubtful that HDCP will ever be used for "normal" HD channels.

This spring after a nasty storm that destroyed my old dishes, Dish installed a new Dish 1000 and took out the 44 switch saying it was not longer necessary. Can you still run a check switch without a switch?

Now TNT HD is working I have no idea what is going on either. All other HD channels came in fine before this message came up and they all are now working fine including the off-air HD channels. I'm not about to buy a new tv just to get HDMI
Perhaps it was some type of HDCP "switch" that was inadvertently "left on" when the channels came back online after the fire and they have subsequently turned it back off.

The Check Switch cleared mine up "instantly" but perhaps it will do on its own when it checks back to some "home" transponder.

This spring after a nasty storm that destroyed my old dishes, Dish installed a new Dish 1000 and took out the 44 switch saying it was not longer necessary. Can you still run a check switch without a switch?
Yes....they use a type of LNB that has the switch built-in.

Do menu 6/1/1...select Check Switch, then slide over and click "Test".

After a few minutes it will come back to the Switch summary page.

Cancel all the way out and wait another 5-10 minutes as it reacquires the satellite, then DLs the guide.

That why I put "instantly" in quotes. :D

This is potentially bad news. As most of you may know, HDCP is a copy protection format that allows degradation of signal if you are not using an HDCP compatible connection. Component is not HDCP compatible.

This is because component is an analog signal, and allows you to plug in your DVR to a DVD burner and make a copy. Theoretically if you have an all digital connection with HDCP, then if the "no copy" flag is set, you would be unable to copy in HD.

So it looks like we got an interesting glimpse into how Dish is handling this. One of the posters above said that when they tried to select the HD channel, they got the error and then were switched to the SD version.

We will see more and more of this unless we all complain. Dish does not advertise that in order to have full HD you have to have an HDCP compliant connection. If they are going to start that then they need to do a full education campaign, and they shouldn't be doing it to people who were nto told of the limited functionality of their expensive DVR's.

And keep in mind that Dish Network is not alone in this. Once HDCP starts "rolling out", anyone with DirecTV, Digital Cable, HD TIVo, etc., could be affected. If the broadcaster requires it, they have to comply.

DISH Network -- Home

Current set-up:

Any thoughts?

I'm on D* but yesterday there was some kind of strange DRM testing. So has Turner decided that nobody can record any of the what little HD they actually show? Is this the no copy flag? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)