TNT stretch-o-vision response

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Translated as: We don't want to field calls from the idiots who think they're getting ripped off if they see black bars...

%100 true really. The majority of people would probably think that way so its a catch-22. When it comes to ratings should channels do what the majority wants or do what the minority wants? Actually they should do something like what BBC America says about subtitles or close captions. Always use OAR but put disclaimers occasionally that tell people people to hit the stretch button if they want. Dont laugh. Sometimes the masses need to be told these things. People will have to get out their manuals if they have never done it before but in time the disclaimers wont be needed anymore. I hope.

If I set my SA Tivo Series 2 to 16X9 and feed TBS through it from the TV1 output on my 622, it compresses the picture back to its normal 4X3 width when shown on my 16X9 set. Of course it is SD, but the original material is SD too.

Watching "The True Story of Charlie Wilson" on History HD right now through my TiVo in correct aspect ratio.

622 set to 16X9. Connected S-Video to SA TiVo. TiVo set to 16X9. Use Zoom builtin to TV to fill screen with 16X9 picture.

If I set my SA Tivo Series 2 to 16X9 and feed TBS through it from the TV1 output on my 622, it compresses the picture back to its normal 4X3 width when shown on my 16X9 set. Of course it is SD, but the original material is SD too.

Watching "The True Story of Charlie Wilson" on History HD right now through my TiVo in correct aspect ratio.

622 set to 16X9. Connected S-Video to SA TiVo. TiVo set to 16X9. Use Zoom builtin to TV to fill screen with 16X9 picture.
Sounds like this would work for programs that are stretched evenly, but aren't some of the shows stretched more on the sides than in the center?

You are so right about the 50 percent have no HD services, or after spending 3K on a TV, won't spend the extra $$ to get HD.

I don't know how many people I have helped alter the Dish install, where they left in in 480P and walked off after the install. Or never hooked the OTA antenna up.

I went to a neighbors little get together and everyone was huddled around his new plazma watching football, going this is HD. I said, nope, it's not, he called me over to the corner and said don't say anything, when everyone leaves, come back and fix it.

He was watching a local channel broadcast on Dish no HD locals, reciever was also set to 480 and Best Buy hooked up an OTA antenna to his TV, but not the Dish receiver.

After a few changes, and some training on where to get HD and the OTA HD locals, he got to experience what he paid for. But a bunch of people with 3K TV's have never seen HD on them.

You know, as often as we throw this terminology around, it surprised the crap out of me to find out that "stretchovision.com" and "stretchovision.info" were available.

I think I will see if I can come up with something. Maybe we can light a fire under the butts of these broadcasters who think viewers are too stupid to find the "stretch" button if they want it to look like that.

Give me a few days to get some content online, any and all suggestions (and donations) are welcome.

s t r e t c h -O- v i s i o n > Home

Holly crap, you were serious!
http:\\s t r e t c h-O-v i s i o n > Home is now a reality!

Nice job Pepper!

I'm good at starting stuff, not necessarily so good at follow thru. Hopefully some people will join and contribute (content not necessarily money) to it.

Take this with a grain of salt, but its the best reason I've heard so far.

I talked to a friend who works at master control for DirecTV and was talking to him about stretch-o-vision for TNT/TBS/etc. He wasn't sure about TBS, but for TNT it has to do with their SD to HD encoder. I was complaining about TNT being stretched and he was telling me that DirecTV gets calls all the time about it, sometimes tech support calls master control to check on customer complaints of the signal being distorted (which it is). According to him, when TNT went HD, the encoders they installed for showing the SD material in HD can only stretch the programming and it doesn't have any other mode. They'd have to put in a whole new encoder to get 4:3 pillerboxed HD and that takes $$$.

It makes sense to me, especially since they have some featured programming in full 16:9 HD, but the regular SD stuff is stretched. He heard some rumor that TNT is looking into changing to pillarboxed, but its only a rumor.

According to him, when TNT went HD, the encoders they installed for showing the SD material in HD can only stretch the programming and it doesn't have any other mode. They'd have to put in a whole new encoder to get 4:3 pillerboxed HD and that takes $$$.

We're supposed to believe they can't afford it? More like they don't care.

I've always liked the way ESPNHD handles SD material. When they have 4:3 content that they have to broadcast, they put grey bars to the left and right with the big "ESPNHD" letters running down the side. Lets viewers know that there isn't something wrong.

I don't know how many people I have helped alter the Dish install, where they left in in 480P and walked off after the install. Or never hooked the OTA antenna up.

This is what happened when I got my 811 hooked up 2 years ago. I got the Dish HD pak, but knew nothing about the HD locals (which weren't available through Dish, but I didn't know that), and neither the installer, nor Dish mentioned anything about OTA.

About 2 weeks after thinking how different my local "HD" looked from stations like HDNet, I checked around the web and read on these forums about hooking up my rabbit ears through the 811. I scanned the channels and began getting the REAL HD experience from my locals.

2 years later I'm the "go to" guy among all my friends for getting their HDTV's set up with the correct programming.

It really is sad to think how many people are spending that money and not getting what they paid for. I chalk it up to the consumer not doing their research, but even more, I blame the greed of the corporations who want to sell, but not educate.

It really is sad to think how many people are spending that money and not getting what they paid for.

There was an article today in the paper about CalTech doing a small study on the relation between how good people think a wine is vs its price. It included 5 grades ranging from inexpensive to $90... or so they told the tasters. But in fact the testers were only given three wines with two of them being served twice (at differently stated prices). They were served the same $90 wine twice but the vast majority said the glass that cost more was better. To be fair they werent connoisseurs. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts