To 811 or not to 811 and/or other suggestions?

Harry said:
Keep in mind that if you watch a lot of OTA with the 811, you will constantly be rebooting the darned thing. You will lose the guide info and will get sound but no picture when you go back to watching satellite alot of the time. At least that is what mine does.

Thanks...and by rebooting do you me just powering down and back up again? Or is there something more?

Dang, the 811 would be a no brainer for the deal they are giving me except with all the problems people report. And while I don't mind "messing" around and tweeking, as mentioned I travel a lot for work. So for the wife and kids, they just "want it to work".

sdallnct said:
Besides my REAR row of seating is only 14' so any bigger screen and I think I would get sick watching it!
I only have 1 row of seating and it's at 14' from my screen and it is perfect. It' actually at the THX recommended viewing angle for that size and distance and I love it. That distance is just right for eliminating any screen door effect (and I have 20/10 vision). You would think it would make you sick or dizzy, but it really doesn't but it did take me some time to get used to the sheer size of it (at least 5 minutes ;) ).

I would advise not buying/leasing a 942. With their plans for mpeg4, starting with new HD channels, it would be obsolete as soon as they add new HD channels. Most likely the rest of the voom channels in early 2006..

I've seen some used OTA tuners on ebay for around $100. You can also usually get a used 6000 or 811 off ebay for 100-150. Make sure you find one with a yellow card. If you buy one with a blue card you'll have to get dish to send you a new card, and they might charge $50 for that..

DarrellP said:
Ditto dfergie on the 6000, I've had mine for almost 5 years now, it is an antique but delivers a great pic and has a VGA output for connection to a computer monitor.
Forgot about the VGA output:D the X1 has a VGA in... I'm running about 75" and sitting way too close 9' but the SDE does not bother me... last month I projected it on a shop wall on a Ranch and had about a 10' picture.. was pretty dim but watchable... I'll open a thread or find on in the HT forum so we can chat about or PJ's if y'all want or y'all open one...:)

HokieEngineer said:
I would advise not buying/leasing a 942. With their plans for mpeg4, starting with new HD channels, it would be obsolete as soon as they add new HD channels. Most likely the rest of the voom channels in early 2006..

I've seen some used OTA tuners on ebay for around $100. You can also usually get a used 6000 or 811 off ebay for 100-150. Make sure you find one with a yellow card. If you buy one with a blue card you'll have to get dish to send you a new card, and they might charge $50 for that..

Yea, I think I'm passing on the 942 right now. I called Dish again this morning and they still are telling me no $250 deal for the 942.

If I buy a 811 on eBay, will Dish still charge me the $5.00 equipment fee when I have it activiated?

I'm leaning toward trying another Voom box :rolleyes: I know, I know, but I found a guy that sells them really cheap (because no remote, no parts except the card - and I have other the other parts from the old box) and he has confirmed it has the newest firm ware. So I might try ONE MORE TIME with that rout. As mentioned I'm very impressed with the Voom box, just can't get a lock on one channel.... :no

sdallnct said:
Thanks...and by rebooting do you me just powering down and back up again? Or is there something more?

Dang, the 811 would be a no brainer for the deal they are giving me except with all the problems people report. And while I don't mind "messing" around and tweeking, as mentioned I travel a lot for work. So for the wife and kids, they just "want it to work".

Rebooting an E* reciever- hold the power button down for about ten seconds. The receiver will reboot, takes about 2-3 minutes and the program guide will download.

If you want to watch mainly OTA HD, consider an STB (set top box) and go with a different receiver from E*.

I have had an 811 for 1 1/2 years and it has been "buggy" at times, but overall it has worked out just fine.

OK, thanks for all the help. I decided to try a voom box one more time. Cheap price, I have all the needed items already including a mounted antenna that I know works well. I really hoping to "get buy with this" for a year or so. Then when MPEG4 settles I will upgrade everything (well my SD reception, Tivo, DVD Player and HD receiver), putting all this current stuff in my bar that I'm going to build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)