Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
guys ,

ive talked a lot of crap on the peace-nicks/libs/pseudo pinkos on here.

now ill back it up. i have a best friend, his name is mark. we worked together on a recycling truck from 1992 to 1995. this is a 45 mile friendship, we sometimes dont talk for three to six months at a time. sometimes we see each other 3 times in a week. and it is always like we just saw each other 6 hours ago. you know ...a best friend.

well i got hurt at home and he was hurt at work and we havent talked since after thanksgiving. until today.

his middle son nick who my oldest son adores, joined the army around thanksgiving.

my thinking has not changed, he told his mom , it is time for me to step up and do what pap and dad did to protect us, now its my turn.

to my best friends son ,

PFC McKEEVER, NICHOLAS
1-5 INF, BRAVO CO

and a ranger candidate, i salute you

GODSPEED NICK and may GOD watch over you, i am VERY PROUD OF YOU. so is CHRISTIAN, he will be writing you and you two will be riding the quads together again when you are 22 and hes 16.

keep the head down dude. take care of business, and thank you.

....bob:)

Last edited:
That is AWSOME to hear. According to the liberals NO ONE volunteers to join the service. Only the "poor Americans" ie the liberal base are the ones in the service and they are forced into it by Bush's tax cuts to the rich, I love liberal thinking.

Eric Goempel said:
Only the "poor Americans" ie the liberal base are the ones in the service and they are forced into it by Bush's tax cuts to the rich, I love liberal thinking.

May be off subject but has anyone ever got a job from a poor man. When the rich spend money it is good for everyone.

eric , thank you.

tate,yes you can, tax the middle class to death to give the welfare class $$$, COMMUNISM!!

The Tate said:
May be off subject but has anyone ever got a job from a poor man. When the rich spend money it is good for everyone.

When the rich man spends money (well it was 1st stolen, because all rich people are thieves) it hurts EVERYONE on the face of the earth and puts another hole in the ozone layer!! Plus 60 gallons of fuel ( that was stolen in an illegal war on Iraq) had to be used for a rich man to spend money!!

Eric Goempel said:
When the rich man spends money (well it was 1st stolen, because all rich people are thieves) it hurts EVERYONE on the face of the earth and puts another hole in the ozone layer!! Plus 60 gallons of fuel ( that was stolen in an illegal war on Iraq) had to be used for a rich man to spend money!!

Classic.

Bob this thread is for people who are proud to be Americans. Go back over to the CNN thread, please.

In other words this is NOT the thread to say ANYTHING negitive in!!!

I have a friend I met thru work. His son just turned 18, and for the last year he's been involved in a program for young people who are interested in becoming Marines. His ambition is to serve in Afganistan or Iraq. I told his dad, if thats what he wants to do, to surround himself with the best of the best ie: SpecOps (Marine Force Recon) just as Nicolas, Ranger Candidate is doing. Much higher chance of being placed in harms way, but much higher chance of survivability due to a higher caliber of training, profesionalism and teamwork. God Bless and Good luck to both.--Ray

My son joined the Army Reserve in 2000, after finishing high school. He had other choices. He was a valedictorian with a GPA over 4.0, due to AP classes. He spent a year on active duty, between boot camp and AIT, then he went to college at OU.

Shortly after he started school, 911 hit. His unit wasn't directly affected, but when troops went to occupy Iraq and Afganistan, he knew his time would come. In December of 2003, his unit was called up, and in March of 2004 they went to Baghdad. They spent a year there coordinating engineering efforts to rebuild the infrastructure of the city. In March of 2005, they came back. They didn't lose a man, but did have casualties from an IED.

Now that his six year commitment is about up, the unit is pressing him hard to re-up. The fact is, the Reserves are having a very hard time retaining soldiers now, not because of any reluctance to serve, or lack of patriotism, but because many soldiers have now been to Iraq and back, and are disillusioned with the Army’s mission there. Many say that they are not interested in being an army of occupation for the foreseeable future, and I can’t blame them. No one hates war more than a soldier, but they go, because they see the need. Many are now seeing the occupation of Iraq now as different. They aren’t seeing the need, and how the US benefits from the continued occupation. In this aspect, his service matches my Vietnam era service. The main difference is, the country is still solidly behind the soldiers.

So, my son is still undecided on what to do. The Army has said they will give him a direct commission in the Reserves if he re-ups. If he doesn’t re-up, he still has a two year inactive reserve commitment, during which he could still be called to active duty if his unit is activated again. He’s dead set against going back to Baghdad as a sergeant. Most soldiers don’t have his options, not being so close to a degree like he is.

Do I have a point? Well, I guess my point is that the country is divided on the need to be in Iraq, and so are the soldiers that have been there and back. Both sides have a right to their opinions, and that’s what makes America great.

Mike D.
USAF 1970-1977

mike,

you and your fine son have my thanks. if he doesnt go back, there will be no ill-will on my families part. he served and protected us.

we salute you and him. you are both fine americans.

mdonnelly said:
My son joined the Army Reserve in 2000, after finishing high school. He had other choices. He was a valedictorian with a GPA over 4.0, due to AP classes. He spent a year on active duty, between boot camp and AIT, then he went to college at OU.

Shortly after he started school, 911 hit. His unit wasn't directly affected, but when troops went to occupy Iraq and Afganistan, he knew his time would come. In December of 2003, his unit was called up, and in March of 2004 they went to Baghdad. They spent a year there coordinating engineering efforts to rebuild the infrastructure of the city. In March of 2005, they came back. They didn't lose a man, but did have casualties from an IED.

Now that his six year commitment is about up, the unit is pressing him hard to re-up. The fact is, the Reserves are having a very hard time retaining soldiers now, not because of any reluctance to serve, or lack of patriotism, but because many soldiers have now been to Iraq and back, and are disillusioned with the Army’s mission there. Many say that they are not interested in being an army of occupation for the foreseeable future, and I can’t blame them. No one hates war more than a soldier, but they go, because they see the need. Many are now seeing the occupation of Iraq now as different. They aren’t seeing the need, and how the US benefits from the continued occupation. In this aspect, his service matches my Vietnam era service. The main difference is, the country is still solidly behind the soldiers.

So, my son is still undecided on what to do. The Army has said they will give him a direct commission in the Reserves if he re-ups. If he doesn’t re-up, he still has a two year inactive reserve commitment, during which he could still be called to active duty if his unit is activated again. He’s dead set against going back to Baghdad as a sergeant. Most soldiers don’t have his options, not being so close to a degree like he is.

Do I have a point? Well, I guess my point is that the country is divided on the need to be in Iraq, and so are the soldiers that have been there and back. Both sides have a right to their opinions, and that’s what makes America great.

Mike D.
USAF 1970-1977

Theres a bunch of iraq veterans running for congress on a get us out platform...

Whitehouse predicted last summer that public opinion would go critical against war by this summer, well its nearly here...

I HOPE verterans of this war get treated better than vietnam vets, most of which didnt want to go, and were treated badly when they got home:(

dragon002 said:
guys ,

ive talked a lot of crap on the peace-nicks/libs/pseudo pinkos on here.

now ill back it up. i have a best friend, his name is mark. we worked together on a recycling truck from 1992 to 1995. this is a 45 mile friendship, we sometimes dont talk for three to six months at a time. sometimes we see each other 3 times in a week. and it is always like we just saw each other 6 hours ago. you know ...a best friend.
....bob:)

Bob, I am sorry, but meaning no disrespect to you personally, I simply don't see where you are stepping up here. This is the son of a guy who you say is your "Best Friend", but you knew him closely for 3 years and see him every 3-6 months by your own statement. I can't speak to the closeness of your relationship, but it doesn't seem all that committed to an outsider. However, what happens to your life if something happens to this kid? I expect it is a week of sadness and a pat on the back of the buddy with an "If there is anything I can do..." followed by closing ranks and getting on with your life.

It would be different if it was your son going over, or for that matter, yourself. I believe you have stated that you are in your early '40s. That is still young enough to step forward and make a real commitment.

I really believe that you are actually capitalizing on this situation to reinforce your political agenda. "See, I actually know someone who is over there". Well, most of us do these days.

I have stated that I am a vet in another post. Caught a fair amount of flack about being closed minded over that one, but the truth is that I am proud of my service, and I continue to support troops, if not the assh*les who put them in harms way for no good purpose. I am a partner in a small engineering company. We have 5 partners with an equity position. One of these partners is a warrant officer in Army Reserves. He has now been deployed a total of 20 months out of the last 30. That is a big and real commitment by our company to the military. When a Motorola or an HP loses someone to active duty, they bitch and close ranks. For us, it was 20% of the company resources. We were forced to drop programs where we had placed significant resources.

So please, tell me where I am wrong in my logic. I simply don't see any sacrifice here.

jayn_j said:
Bob, I am sorry, but meaning no disrespect to you personally, I simply don't see where you are stepping up here. This is the son of a guy who you say is your "Best Friend", but you knew him closely for 3 years and see him every 3-6 months by your own statement. I can't speak to the closeness of your relationship, but it doesn't seem all that committed to an outsider.

NO DIS-RESPECT TAKEN, MARK AND I ARE BEST FRIENDS, IM NOT GOING INTO DETAILS, BUT I SAID SOMETIMES EVERY 3-6 MONTHS, SOMETIMES 3X PER WEEK.

However, what happens to your life if something happens to this kid? I expect it is a week of sadness and a pat on the back of the buddy with an "If there is anything I can do..." followed by closing ranks and getting on with your life.

WHAT HAPPENS IN MY FRIENDS LIVES IMPACTS ME GREATLY. MY DAD DIED, MY EX CALLED MARK AND HE WAS RIGHT HERE. HIS FATHER DIED (TENDING BAR AT THE VFW IN PLUM PA) HIS WIFE SUE CALLED ME AND I WAS RIGHT THERE. ATTENDING THE BURIAL AS WELL AS BEING PALL BEARER. MY SON AND NICK BECAME FAST TRIENDS WITH NICK BEING A ROLE MODEL FOR CHRISTIAN.

It would be different if it was your son going over, or for that matter, yourself. I believe you have stated that you are in your early '40s. That is still young enough to step forward and make a real commitment.

YOU READ WRONG, IM 49, TRIED GOING TO THE AIR FORCE IN 1979. MY KNEE KEPT ME OUT , THANKS TO CARTER AND HIS MILITARY POLICIES. WE WENT TO CONGRESSMAN MURPHY AND I HAD SURGERY TO CORRECT IT, SECOND AFEES TESTING, STILL NO WAY.
WAS GOING TO BE A CREW CHIEF ON A FIGHTER JET, OH WELL I TRIED. MY SON WANTS TO JOIN THE AIR FORCE, BTW

I really believe that you are actually capitalizing on this situation to reinforce your political agenda. "See, I actually know someone who is over there". Well, most of us do these days.

WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS, I HAVE NO AGENDA.

I have stated that I am a vet in another post.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, SINCERELY.

Caught a fair amount of flack about being closed minded over that one, but the truth is that I am proud of my service, and I continue to support troops, if not the assh*les who put them in harms way for no good purpose.

THAT IS YOUR OPINION AND YOU SERVED OUR NATION, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO IT, YOU EARNED THAT RIGHT.

I am a partner in a small engineering company. We have 5 partners with an equity position. One of these partners is a warrant officer in Army Reserves. He has now been deployed a total of 20 months out of the last 30. That is a big and real commitment by our company to the military. When a Motorola or an HP loses someone to active duty, they bitch and close ranks. For us, it was 20% of the company resources. We were forced to drop programs where we had placed significant resources.

I FEEL REAL BAD YOUR COMPANY HAD TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE. THE GUY HAD TO HAVE KNOWN THERE WAS A TIME HE MAY HAVE TO SERVE. THERE ARE FAMILYS WILLINGLY LOSING A DAD AND SONS AND BROTHERS, AND YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT AN EQUITY PARTNER??? HIRE A TEMP FROM AARP (IM SURE YOU CAN HIRE A RETIRED ENGINEER WHO NEEDS SOME EXTRA $$$)

So please, tell me where I am wrong in my logic. I simply don't see any sacrifice here.

and i dont see yours either.

sorry about the caps, it is the only way i know how to quote seperate lines, i was not yelling.

dragon002 said:
I FEEL REAL BAD YOUR COMPANY HAD TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE. THE GUY HAD TO HAVE KNOWN THERE WAS A TIME HE MAY HAVE TO SERVE. THERE ARE FAMILYS WILLINGLY LOSING A DAD AND SONS AND BROTHERS, AND YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT AN EQUITY PARTNER??? HIRE A TEMP FROM AARP (IM SURE YOU CAN HIRE A RETIRED ENGINEER WHO NEEDS SOME EXTRA $$$)

I guess I didn't explain well. Yes, we know this person is expected to step up, and we took the hit. You seem to be implying that this person joined lightly, without understanding the consequences. Well, I mentioned that the person was a warrant officer. He is 59 years old and has put 29 years into the military. He has served 2 tours in Vietnam. He served in Croatia. He served in the first Gulf War. He and we did understand and accept the situation.

Now about the company. We are all ex-<big company> engineers who banded together after the mass layoffs. We have a good and solid idea for products. However, they are mostly aimed at DoD and Homeland Security. Building toward these contracts takes a LOT of time and networking. None of us have taken a salary for three years and all of us have made substantial capital investments in getting these products off the ground. Perhaps you can see that a senior military member with significant connections can be an irreplaceable asset? The loss of this person pretty much killed networking that was going on in several key areas. It may very well make the difference between success and losing our houses through bankruptcy. I guess I can see how this pales to you in comparison with your friend, whom you hadn't seen in 4 months and weren't even aware his son had enlisted, but it makes a great deal of difference to us.

jay,

again i salute you for your service, as to your friend and business partner, my hat is off to him. he is a fine american!

his time over there is very important to you as is nicks to his family. are you somehow suggesting he is somehow worth more than an 18 year old?

i hope not.

my father died of end stage renal failure, he served in the army air corps in WW2 in N. Africa and Italy and re-upped in the air force and the OSS. he was asked , do you want a kidney transplant, he thought for 24 hours and told the doctor, NO, ive lived my life, give the kidney to a young person, who needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts