To all you embracing the great 622 deal

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
It's hard to tell where the consensus lies on this whole upgrade deal but I think I see it leaning more in the dissatisfied direction than those that think the whole thing is just honky-Dorey. That's probably good.

However, in the interest of helping all to make a more informed decision, I want to point out / remind those getting ready to jump on their respective deals:

The last 3 HD receivers that customers are still "beta testing" for Dish (the 811, 921 & 942) have all had very significant problems for most users. I don't know how long the 811 has been out (at least 2 years) and it's only recently started to show signs of stability. The 921 has been a dog since day one and continues to be for most. The 942 came through the gate in relatively good shape but has definitely been degraded for many / most with various software upgrades.

In light of this, I find it curious that so many of you are ready to jump blindly into another new Dish receiver, especially when there's really very little feedback out about it. It probably won't be but what if it is as bad as the 921 ? Or even if it only has some of the similar problems the 942 is currently experiencing ?

If you look at what having an HD receiver has actually cost you this past year or two plus how much of that investment you're going to loose with the upgrade and what you're going to end up with, that's the true cost for this 622 for many. What are the odds it will be worth it ?

Just a little devil's advocate here, that's all.

I want a HD-DVR capable of receiving all E* programming, I'm all ears, provide me with an alternative to the 622.

I have no delusions about E* receivers, I had an E* DVR (501) as soon as they became available, you think todays units have stability problems? You have no idea. I'm not making excuses for E* poor QC, there are none, but I will take a flaky HD-DVR over none at all. Just my opinion.

NightRyder

waltinvt said:
The last 3 HD receivers that customers are still "beta testing" for Dish (the 811, 921 & 942) have all had very significant problems for most users. I don't know how long the 811 has been out (at least 2 years) and it's only recently started to show signs of stability. The 921 has been a dog since day one and continues to be for most. The 942 came through the gate in relatively good shape but has definitely been degraded for many / most with various software upgrades.

Have 811 and 942 since May 2005, when Voom dissapeared.
Very satisfied with both receivers PQ and audio. The only initial small problem with HDMI output to my projector was fixed by software update.
I think to order 211 and 622 in order to be safe from glitches in one or another receiver. But I am pretty confident.
BTW if you are impluing then D* receivers are perfect from the start just visit D* forum and have a good time by reading all problems users have with new D* HD receiver.

Maybe I look at it differently than other people do. I first bought a 6000 when Dish sold them for $150 in 2003. When they marked down the 921 to $549 I sold my 6000 for $250 and bought the 921. My local cable company charges $15.95 a month for their dvr and up until last September all you could get was a single tuner. So I look at it like I would have needed 2 dvrs from my cable company to give me the same viewing/recording power. By the time I am able to get a 622 I feel I will have covered the cost of my 921.

I've had two 811 and one 942 receivers since I got booted from VOOM DBS back in May. For the most part, the receivers have worked "as advertised" and we have experienced very few problems.

Overall, with one notable exception, I feel the MPEG-4 lease/upgrade plans are more than fair; that notable exception is the poor 942 owners who get shafted higher, harder, and more often than a young cowboy on Michael Jackson's Brokeback Mountain. The disdain and compempt directed toward 942 owners alone is reason enough to make this is Brokedick offer IMO.

One 942 that I just recently bought (less than a year). I have two 6000u receivers which I bought about 3 years ago. You tell me should I upgrade to new receivers now or wait until april to get the full rebate. It is not a questio if I am going to upgrade. It is a question of when in my case. The 6000u are a piece of junk but I've got everything I wanted from them. The 942 has been for the most part the best DVR that dish has produced (I previously owned a 721).

I also have a 721 that I have had for years. If Dish will let me swap that early, then I will wait for the rebate with the 921.

My position is the same as Sean's. When, not If, but my When is constrained by the end date on the upgrade offer. These "current customer" deals are few and far between so i want to take advantage of it, and it within the limits of acceptability to me. Also my main driver is HD major networks, however i get them national or local, So that also will control when. I also have a 942 for 6 months, not 1 issue, and frankly i cant even consider watching TV without one now.

NightRyder said:
I want a HD-DVR capable of receiving all E* programming, I'm all ears, provide me with an alternative to the 622.

Like I said, just playing devil's advocate.

NightRyder said:
I have no delusions about E* receivers, I had an E* DVR (501) as soon as they became available, you think todays units have stability problems? You have no idea.
I started with a 3000, then 4000, 7200, 501, 508, 811 and now 942. Believe me, I DO have an idea:D . But just as an example of how Dish receivers can work great for one sub and the same receiver be a dog to another:

I had my 501 for years with basically no problems. Gave it to my brother-in-law, who's going on 2 years with no problems. Had my 508 for years and it's still solid as a rock. My 811 was a bear right up until I deactivated it for a 942. My 942 was flawless when I first got it but started having problems about 3 software downloads ago and still isn't right.

NightRyder said:
I'm not making excuses for E* poor QC, there are none, but I will take a flaky HD-DVR over none at all. Just my opinion.

NightRyder

I basically agree and was just attempting to add some prospective

Maybe I have been luckier than most, but my experience with Dish DVR's (501,508,510 and 942) has been pretty good. With the exception of a few hiccups my 942 has performed wonderfully and as a result I have no reason to think the 622 won't as well. I want to receive all of the HD programming Dish has to offer so i will get the 622 as soon as Dish will give me one.

I liked my 942 so much, that I got a second one! No major problems AT ALL. I will upgrade, but I'm in no hurry whatsover, as I will continue getting all my current HD for quite awhile. I can live without the new HD channels for now, and I get my local in REAL HD (OTA)! I will probably wait until May-June-July before I upgrade.
Tom in TX

waltinvt said:
Like I said, just playing devil's advocate.
I started with a 3000, then 4000, 7200, 501, 508, 811 and now 942. Believe me, I DO have an idea:D . But just as an example of how Dish receivers can work great for one sub and the same receiver be a dog to another:
I had my 501 for years with basically no problems. Gave it to my brother-in-law, who's going on 2 years with no problems. Had my 508 for years and it's still solid as a rock. My 811 was a bear right up until I deactivated it for a 942. My 942 was flawless when I first got it but started having problems about 3 software downloads ago and still isn't right.
I basically agree and was just attempting to add some prospective

I know. I'm just playing the Advocates Devil. :devil:

NightRyder

Last edited:
I've had a 501 for about 5 years with no problems at all. My 921 has had few problems ... the only annoyance is that it gets stuck in the widescreen mode from time to time.

I've been pretty happy with my Dish equipment for the most part -- I've had a 3700, 811, 522, and 942. Except for the 811, which I had for a year and hated, because Dish could never solve the Dolby Digital optical output problem for me, despite numerous software downloads and promises. Plus, it would spontaneously lose the signal, and have to go through the whole signal aquisition process at least once a week (my 522 didn't have this problem, and my 942 has never done this). Finally, I sent the 811 back and got a 942, which I've been happy with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)