To Buy or Not to Buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
I just spotted a 4DTV receiver at a local thrift shop. It didn't have a price on it, but judging by other items there, it would probably be about $15. The front cover was falling off (all cables were still attached but the entire face was flopping off of it).

Worth the gamble? If it doesn't work are there parts on it that would make it worth parting out?

Edit: Oh yeah, no remote, I presume.

Last edited:
See if the shop would take like $10 for it, considering the shape it's in. There's a concern about its battery, since a dead battery would render it useless.

Any way to check the battery just by plugging it in and looking at lights and whatnot? Is there some sort of indication I can see without hooking it to a television?

As far as I know, it must be connected to a TV, and need a remote to access the menues

O.k. So I need to get at the menus to see if it's dead or not? Hmmm.....think I'll go pick it up if I can get it on the cheap. I need to buy a couple of other things there tomorrow, anyhow.
I love thrift shopping. This is actually the first time I've seen a usable (maybe) receiver in a long time. Dozens of Dish and Direct receivers but never a 4DTV or FTA receiver

Unfortunately you won't know until you get it home and check the ID. Someone in this forum can tell you more about it than me.
I hope everything is ok with it when you get it.
I live 100 miles south from Memphis.
Maybe I need to come up and check out the thrift shops...

possible remote:

There was a discussion here a while back, about using a Voom remote.
You'll have to find the info to see if it will run your unit or not, as I don't keep close tabs on 4D stuff.

AND, I was somewhere recently (on a web site) and found a bunch of Voom remotes for cheap.
I want to say $10, but certainly not 20, as that wouldn't have been attractive.
You could search eBay if the Vooms turn out to be useful.

I kinda want to say maybe it was on the Global-CM.net web site...
edit: yes, here ya go... now it's just a question of whether it'll work for ya or not. - :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you won't know until you get it home and check the ID. Someone in this forum can tell you more about it than me.
I hope everything is ok with it when you get it.
I live 100 miles south from Memphis.
Maybe I need to come up and check out the thrift shops...
There are quite a few good ones that I try and check out a couple of times a week. I mainly look for stuff I know I can resell. I like collecting junk, but then the junk just sits around and gets my wife all grumpy. Now I focus on stuff I like, buy what I know I can flip (of course, there's bound to be a few t hings I want to keep :). So, I get to collect junk with the understanding it will be on its way out the door soon after I bring it home. My ROI isn't great, but it's still fun.

So I brought it home and took it apart. I don't have a remote, and haven't even powered it up yet, but the battery has 3.64 volts according to my multimeter. I'm hoping that's a good sign. If it's working, I'll go ahead and replace the battery.

Oh yeah, I think it's a 920. I don't see that anywhere on the box, but that's what google gives me when I pop in part # 407829-001.

Cross your fingers!

I plugged it in after getting it back together. Under options it say something to the effect of "Press 9 for VideoCipher Setup." Is that where I need to go to make sure it's still good (hence the reason for needing a remote)?

Options 6,5 look for unit ID it should be the same as the sticker on the back. 3.6v is very good, you should be okay.

VC II is dead so no reason to worry about that ;)

So, I really don't know much about V2 II. I did read wikipedia and it seems it's been gone for a while? I am a complete n00b when it comes to encryption :)

If it's not FTA, I don't mess with it. :up

If it's got a VC2 module in it pull it out it will run cooler and faster. I finally took out my VC module and noticed it locks up on analog channels faster and runs cooler.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)