To many Receivers?

knkayotte

Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a VIP 222 for the guest bedroom, plan on using the second tuner in the kids play room (currently have old standard def. receiver in there).

I also have two Vip 622's and one old Standard Def receiver I use in the kids room.

I'm using a DPP 44 switch, so far it work flawlessly.

Am I going to run into any problems with to many receivers since the 622's and 222 are dual tuner receivers? Conceivably, I could be pulling down 7 different shows at once.

Any insight is appreciated.

Keith

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a VIP 222 for the guest bedroom, plan on using the second tuner in the kids play room (currently have old standard def. receiver in there).

I also have two Vip 622's and one old Standard Def receiver I use in the kids room.

I'm using a DPP 44 switch, so far it work flawlessly.

Am I going to run into any problems with to many receivers since the 622's and 222 are dual tuner receivers? Conceivably, I could be pulling down 7 different shows at once.

Any insight is appreciated.

Keith

If you buy it, no. If you lease it, maybe. There are others that frequent here that have several receivers. Others have had to go through the ceo's office to obtain additional leased receivers. The nominal limit is 4 leased tuners. The 622 and 722 count as 2 tuners each. The 612 since it is limited to 1 TV is counted as one tuner although it has two tuners. There is some limit on total receivers, owned or leased, per account as well. It might be 6 but I don't recall for sure.

even though they are dual tuner they are 1 box. 1 box equals one receiver.

I've bought all my receivers to date and will buy this one as well.

I didn't know if there would be trouble with bandwidth.

I'm guessing that's why they keep the second tuner SD only.

Sorry, I know I'm not as technically knowledgeable on this stuff as some of you all.

Thanks,

Keith

All 3 tuners are HD. What is SD is the output from the second side. As for bandwidth, you can have 2 Sat and 1 OTA recording while watching 2 HD show (one displayed in SD) and transferring an HD show to/from an EHD. That's 6 streams of HD. The transfer seems limited (low priority) but does not change much with activity. This is for 622/722.
-Ken

A single DPP 44 switch will support up to 4 dual tuner receivers for a possible total of 8 tuners. No problem there.

Dish doesn't have a definitive limit on the number of tuners per account other than to state it is in their "sole discretion".

Confusing. I am getting an install next week. Two HD DVR's and two SD TV's as well, they did not tell me that I would only be getting the two DVR's I do not want my other two tv's running off the HD DVR's, do? Doesn't that mean that if I am watching one, and my kid wants to watch something in his room, and I have two recordings going something wont work?

Man I am going to have to call and ask that tomorrow.

It sounds like you want to be able to record on the HD tvs without having to interrupt the tv2 side which would be recording when you set up a timer and tv2 is the default. Your kids would probably stop your timer and you would have to revert to recording on the tv1 side to get it recorded.

I would request 2 Hd receivers and have another 322 dual tuner receiver for the kids, provided you only have sd tvs in the other 2 rooms.

I know having a 722 or any dvr in dual mode can be irritating for the people watching tv2 and unfortunately your timer default for the recording is going to tv2 unless you change the timer to record to tv1 ( that defeats the purpose though of recording and watching something else) .

Its not going to hurt to ask for 2 HD receivers, but you may have to pay for adding the 3rd receiver if you request it.

Yes I do not want them interupted. I am going to call them tomorrow to make that known just incase. Still gotta come up with another one down the road I actually have 6 tvs...

A single DPP 44 switch will support up to 4 dual tuner receivers for a possible total of 8 tuners. No problem there.

Dish doesn't have a definitive limit on the number of tuners per account other than to state it is in their "sole discretion".

To clarify: stated limit of 4 "leased" tuners per household account and maximum of 6 STB's--that is absolute; customers are entitlted to the 4 lesed tuners and the 6 STB's as that is their policy. However, for anything beyond that, the customer will have to plead their case to Dish. Then it becomes discretion of Dish to allow you more than the polciy.

To clarify: stated limit of 4 "leased" tuners per household account and maximum of 6 STB's--that is absolute; customers are entitlted to the 4 lesed tuners and the 6 STB's as that is their policy. However, for anything beyond that, the customer will have to plead their case to Dish. Then it becomes discretion of Dish to allow you more than the polciy.

This is what it says in their Residential Customer Agreement:

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

Nowhere is any "absolute limit" mentioned in regard to number or receivers, tuners, or set-top boxes.

Here is the link to the entire RCA:

DISH Network - About Us - 1.888.825.2557

So could you please back up your assertion with a tangible reference?

Thanks for the clarification guys. I think I'm going to use TV2 on the one of my 622's to power the TV in the play room. Kids mostly watch DVD's in there anyway.

I'll get a stand alone Vip 211 for the guest room which will replace one of my older SD receivers.