To paint or not to paint

WB0JFC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and have what may be a dumb question. I thought it would be better to ask before I did something I regreated.

I am removing a Dish 300 and Dish 500 from our old home to use on a tripod with our motorhome which we will be fulltiming in in about 6 mos. The 300 has been installed since December 1998 and the 500 about a year or so less. The finish on both is faded. I am considering painting them a flat black. This is to improve their looks and also to help with snow melt in the winter. Will painting the dishes reduce signal strength or cause any other problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Johnson
WB0JFC

:welcome Welcome to SatelliteGuys! :welcome

Bob,

I'm not an expert so don't go by me. I wanted to keep your post alive so others who are more informed can help you out. I think it's okay to paint the dishes and you certainly have a valid question. I believe others have painted theirs without a problem. Whether or not you need any special paint or special colors, I don't know. But you've come to the right place to get your question answered; I'm sure that you'll get your answer soon, in the mean time, welcome to SatelliteGuys! Good luck.

Yes painting is fine, just like another op said don't pain't the LNB, lens.

Some paint can effect the signal(some can even increase reflectivity, and some decreasing). Not sure how you can tell which ones to avoid.

I've painted the 1000.2 that I use for tailgating. See the picture beside my name.

Well I guess I'll give it a try. I wiuld think you would need some kind of metalic paint to increase reflectivity. I want to use a dark color to help melt snow after the storm passes and the sun comes out. I guess I'll try some Rest-O-leum(?).

Thanks guys

I used latex house paint and put a happy face on mine. Yellow background and Black eyes and mouth. Looks neat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts