Today my favorite thing is…

Backup Brain

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Healdsburg, CA
…the info, help and community here at Satellite Guys. It's because of this place that I avoided the 922 debacle (Breaking a long string of early adopter mistakes. Yes, I had both Betamax and Laserdisc. Don't point and laugh.). And on the eve of the Hopper/Joey rollout, it's because of this place and the people who care enough to make it, maintain it, and post here that I feel comfortable enough to order it first thing tomorrow. Of course, that's PDT; I'm not ordering at 4 AM PT; I'm not crazy. :)

And with Hopper/Joey, I can finally make good on my promise to my wife that going with HDTV didn't mean we were going to lose the whole-home DVR capability we had with the two ReplayTVs we used to have. Well, it did mean that. But not anymore.

Anyway, big thanks to Scott, navychop, Scherrman, BobaBird, and many others for their contributions. All that typing isn't in vain, guys.

I've been lurking around here since 2008, but satellite TV isn't my life; just the way I get my entertainment. But when I need the Real Dope on Dish information, it's great to know that there's a place that will always have the right answers, first.

Just now, I coughed up for a Pub membership. The info I've gotten here isn't exactly priceless, but it's certainly worth $20! If you agree with most of what I said above, I urge you to reach for your wallets, too.

(Breaking a long string of early adopter mistakes. Yes, I had both Betamax and Laserdisc. Don't point and laugh.)

LOL! (Oops, forgot to point. ;)) Please note that I'm laughing with you, not at you. I wonder if my Sony Betamax still works? I've thrown out 3 VHS decks already.

…the info, help and community here at Satellite Guys. It's because of this place that I avoided the 922 debacle (Breaking a long string of early adopter mistakes. Yes, I had both Betamax and Laserdisc. Don't point and laugh.). And on the eve of the Hopper/Joey rollout, it's because of this place and the people who care enough to make it, maintain it, and post here that I feel comfortable enough to order it first thing tomorrow. Of course, that's PDT; I'm not ordering at 4 AM PT; I'm not crazy. :)

And with Hopper/Joey, I can finally make good on my promise to my wife that going with HDTV didn't mean we were going to lose the whole-home DVR capability we had with the two ReplayTVs we used to have. Well, it did mean that. But not anymore.

Anyway, big thanks to Scott, navychop, Scherrman, BobaBird, and many others for their contributions. All that typing isn't in vain, guys.

I've been lurking around here since 2008, but satellite TV isn't my life; just the way I get my entertainment. But when I need the Real Dope on Dish information, it's great to know that there's a place that will always have the right answers, first.

Just now, I coughed up for a Pub membership. The info I've gotten here isn't exactly priceless, but it's certainly worth $20! If you agree with most of what I said above, I urge you to reach for your wallets, too.

amen +1 :) I know i just renewed for 2 years but i may renew for another 2 years and this is the best site going today :)

The Internet is pretty cool that way. You can get lots of info on almost any obscure topic you can think of, and forums that focus on a lot of things that you'd never have found anyone to talk about with in the old days.

I'm young enough that I first got the Internet when I was 14, but that means I'm just old enough that I can remember life pre-Internet and still find it amazing that "Whoa, I'm reading a newspaper from halfway around the world" or "Whoa, I have more access to information at my fingertips than a full edition of Encyclopedia Britannica would have had.".

It was also a great way for me as kind of a socially awkward person to make social connections. Both the kind that always stay on the Internet and are totally in my comfort zone, and real life ones. It's how I met a lot of girlfriends in the old days, for example. Not sure that would have happened if I had had to try to rely on my social skills to pick up women at coffee shops or something.

And today it helps a lot with keeping my life organized- online banking, online bill pay, all sorts of stuff like that. And the stuff you can do in terms of organizing your music collection and expanding it with obscure music- whoa. Plus, with e-readers, it's brought me back into the world of reading books now that I can get a big font size that doesn't hurt my eyes, have access to a big selection right from the comfort of my own home, etc.. I mean, it's a really cool era we live in in some ways.

I mean, there are a lot of negatives to this era, too, no question. But the Internet and technology is a net plus IMO. And forums like this are pretty cool, even though I wind up in arguments with people and stuff from time to time. I still over all am glad the place is here. So, I agree with the original poster, mostly. Cool stuff. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts