Today's finds and Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
I got some good stuff today: 1 brand new Channel Master 75e Primestar/Starband dish, with mounts and hardware.

1 1.0 meter Channel Master, tripod LNB mount. - Also got another 1 meter Primestar dish that seems identical, but doesn't say Channel Master on it, but it might be.

Also got some misc items like scalar rings, feedhorn etc. - All for free. That makes it even better.

Questions:

-I don't have a multi-switch but will be ordering some. Can you use just H or V to get those TPs? i.e can I run H or V to a diseqc port, then select that port on the receiver just until I get a switch? Or will that affect the LNB somehow?

-Once I get the multi-switches, I just run H and V from the LNB to the switch, then from the switch to the Diseqc, correct? Then on the receiver, do I just choose Universal LNB and whatever Diseqc port it is in?

-Am I correct in assuming that this Chapparal feedhorn is C and Ku?

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Thats an old chap c-band feedhorn , c-band only. For your channel master 2port lnbf, there's always been a question about those. I have read, and had the experience , that if you wanted video out of the thing-the V-side has to be powered(cable from rec connected to it). I have messed with several on occasion, and got nothing out of the H=side without the multiswitch. Some of them may work independently, from either port. To be sure, when I had one of those, and did not have a switch, I picked a V-transponder, tweaked the dish, and if I wanted an H-transponder , I would just turn the lnbf in its holder until the H freqency popped in. Park on a satellite that has plenty of channels and see which method works for you. The 3x4 switch will make it work like intended, giving both polarities, and you can power more than one receiver from it. Looks like you cleaned house somewhere=nice haul!

Thats an old chap c-band feedhorn , c-band only. For your channel master 2port lnbf, there's always been a question about those. I have read, and had the experience , that if you wanted video out of the thing-the V-side has to be powered(cable from rec connected to it). I have messed with several on occasion, and got nothing out of the H=side without the multiswitch. Some of them may work independently, from either port. To be sure, when I had one of those, and did not have a switch, I picked a V-transponder, tweaked the dish, and if I wanted an H-transponder , I would just turn the lnbf in its holder until the H freqency popped in. Park on a satellite that has plenty of channels and see which method works for you. The 3x4 switch will make it work like intended, giving both polarities, and you can power more than one receiver from it. Looks like you cleaned house somewhere=nice haul!

Thanks for the reply. I will order up some 3x4 switches. - If I am just trying it with V hooked up do I set it as Single 9750 on the receiver?

In regards to the Chap, it looks like it uses two LNBs. Is this just dual C then?

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Thanks for the reply. I will order up some 3x4 switches. - If I am just trying it with V hooked up do I set it as Single 9750 on the receiver?

In regards to the Chap, it looks like it uses two LNBs. Is this just dual C then?
It is a C band orthomode feed that requires 2 LNB's...one for horizontal and one for vertical. When using with a regular 3x4 multiswitch there is a problem with the vertical polarity only giving it's LNB ~13-14 volts when it wants at least 15 and will love you if you give it the normal ~18 volts. This can cause the LNB to draw more current than normal and possibly run a bit hot, or many times it will just not work at all. The proper way to use a C band ortho is to use a power inserter after the multiswitch to make sure the LNB's are getting enough voltage to be happy. And yes I am putting in a plug because I have some power inserters for sale in the classifieds...:)

The C band LNB receiver setup is single 5150. To test you will want to tune in a horizontal transponder so that the receiver will be giving the LNB 18 volts. To me there is no better LNB setup than an ortho...I have 2 C band and one C/KU ortho in operation.

Locked the dish on 97W, with just V hooked up. I just set it using the dish marks and a compass. - Without tweaking I am getting 79 on all TPs.

I was having issues picking up Ku on my BUD on 97W and was getting in the 60's. So this is much better. I got an Eagle Aspen multiswitch on the way.

I want to look into motorizing this setup now and setup the BUD just for C-band. Not sure what motor I should use.

Not sure what I want to do with the other 1.0 meter and 75e. I know the 75e dishes are great though, especially for Starband. Using another for it. - I might swap it on just to compare to the 1.0 meter. Or just store them until I get any ideas.

Looks like you've got two 1 meter Channel Masters there! Congratulations!

One of them has the "Dove Bar" LNB mounted to it, which will get you both polarities. The other might be a single polarity LNB mounted to the feedhorn with a waveguide. When you open the LNB cover, take a pic, and we'll be able to let you know...

very nice dishes! Congrats on the pickup

Questions:

-I don't have a multi-switch but will be ordering some. Can you use just H or V to get those TPs? i.e can I run H or V to a diseqc port, then select that port on the receiver just until I get a switch? Or will that affect the LNB somehow?
3x4 or 4x4 multiswitches work fine and yes you can hook them to a diseqc switch. If you want to not use the multiswitch you can hook both ports into the diseqc but then you need 2 satellites of the same one set up in the menus since port 1 would only get vertical and port 2 would only get horizontal (as example). Get a 4x4 multiswitch....then you can hook 2 LNB's into it (2 duals)

-Once I get the multi-switches, I just run H and V from the LNB to the switch, then from the switch to the Diseqc, correct? Then on the receiver, do I just choose Universal LNB and whatever Diseqc port it is in?
correct. Those LNB's are standard but yeah just whatever port its hooked up to

You're right, AC has better eyes than I do! DIdn't look at all the pictures either, but I didn't see that 2hole feedhorn, you might like that , no polarity motor to mess with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)