Tomorrow Morning I get DN Installed

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Tomorrow morning I get Dish Network installed. After reading all the horror stories about certain installers I am kind of worried. I just hope everything goes ok.

We signed up for the top 200 with locals, DVR advantage and Cinemax for a penny a year (instead of the 3 months HBO and 3 months Cinemax) along with HD free for 6 months. I'm glad to have gotten into this deal before February 1st when the promos change.

I am hoping to receive the VIP722 HD DVR receiver, Dish 100 plus dish and DPP44 switch. Although the work order calls for a Dish 500 plus a D1000 + kit. I am also hoping that I can convince the installer to install the switch downstairs within a small communications room instead of at the dish. I realize that the installer will need to bring 4 coax cables into the house instead of 2, but this is the way I prefer it to be installed. I have a piece of plywood installed where I have all my cable runs, splitters, etc located.

Cross your fingers for me to get a good installer. :)

Welcome Aboard! Good Luck on everything hope things go well for you.. THE DISH ROCKS! :)

I received a recorded phone message last night reminding me of my scheduled 8-12AM installation time this morning. It has now been 2.5 hours and no phone call or installer. Perhaps the installer should have received a recorded message last night reminding him of the installation. :) I hope this doesn't become one of those installation horror stories I often hear about.

I believe I am going to love having Dish as well. Possibly having the installer show up late is a good thing. It shows that he takes his time and gets the job done right. When I had DirecTV installed the installer didn't ground the dish and just ran the coax in our gutters just to save time.

I am hoping to receive the VIP722 HD DVR receiver, Dish 100 plus dish and DPP44 switch.
If you wanted a bunch of cable strung, you should have done it yourself. The DPP44 allows them to get away with running a single cable to the receiver, so there's little motivation to run four down to the closet.

If you wanted a bunch of cable strung, you should have done it yourself. The DPP44 allows them to get away with running a single cable to the receiver, so there's little motivation to run four down to the closet.

This is true. Even if he installs the switch outside I can always rewire it sometime in the future.

I just received a call from Dish Network. The installer will be here between 12:30 and 1:30. Not within the 8-12AM window, but this is ok as long as the installation goes well.

Don't let him install the switch outside if you want it inside, if he can get cable into you distribution room he should do the install the way you want it done not the most convinent way.

I believe I am going to love having Dish as well. Possibly having the installer show up late is a good thing. It shows that he takes his time and gets the job done right. When I had DirecTV installed the installer didn't ground the dish and just ran the coax in our gutters just to save time.

Grounding?, Whats that?.........(joking)

I just received a call from Dish Network. The installer will be here between 12:30 and 1:30. Not within the 8-12AM window, but this is ok as long as the installation goes well.
I had a 722 installed after Thanksgiving. When testing it, the box was bad. He had one other in the truck for his next appointment which he used for me. He had to go back to the distributor to get another, hence he was late for the next guy. Crap happens!

here is what i would do.when he gets there he will probably tell you what he is going to do as far as line runs and so on.now if it is easier for the switch outside that is probably what he will do.ask him if he would put it inside and run extra cable for a good tip. he might just go for making some extra money.especially if it is a subcontractor.

I had a 722 installed after Thanksgiving. When testing it, the box was bad. He had one other in the truck for his next appointment which he used for me. He had to go back to the distributor to get another, hence he was late for the next guy. Crap happens!

Yep!, As an installer myself I can tell you that we never know how long the jobs are going to take untill we get to the house.
I could go to your house for a remote controll issue (example) and be there for 2 hours. Di$h network requires that we bring every TC/Service call up to spec. So, even if your issue should take just a few minutes, I might be there 2 hours or more replacing cable, replacing diplexers, wall plates ect. So, When I route out my day, I try to route out the Trouble calls/service calls first so I can get to the installes before noon or 5pm.
Some installes take 45 minutes to an hour and some take 2-3 hours. Depending if I have to run a lot of cable, attic work and any problems that might come up.
When I call my customers the night before, 99% of the time they ask "What Time?"..... It's very hard to say.... Some customers are very persistant on a time. Some want a exact time and that's impossible to say unless you are my neighbor and you are the first stop in the AM.

Just had to get that off my chest........