TomTom iPhone App

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Has anybody used the TomTom iPhone application? I just noticed that they have the application for 30% off right now and I was thinking of breaking down and purchasing it.

I am going to download it today anyway. I just need to get a general auxiliary/recharge car mount. What is a good car mount? I want one that I can plug into the stereo to use iTunes, ex.

Downloading now and it is very very very slow.

3 hour estimated download using cable internet. The server at their end must be slow and plus this app probably uses a lot of bandwidth

Just finished downloading to the computer. It took about 2.5 hours. I will install it when we get back from dinner. Have a feeling it will take at least an hour to install.

Tested it out. So far, so good. Really easy to use and did a good job at keeping up with me and informing me of turns ahead of time. I just now need some mounting system so I don't have to put the phone on my lap.

DodgerKing-

I used TomTom for quite a few years, mostly for rental cars since my cars all have built in GPS. I had several mounts but one thing you may try is what I finally ended up with becayse the windshield suction cup mounts were just too bulky to carry around. What I did was carry a few #64 rubber bands. I could loop these through the AC vents and then fit the rubber band over the phone. Couple of adjustments allowed me to quickly mount the phone for easy viewing.

I tried to upgrade my TomTom software for my new TP2 but TT said they don't support the higher resolution screens. TomTom isn't cheap so be careful about getting too invested in their stuff as their support for US market phone apps really sucks.

Another consideration is that Google is supposed to release their free voice activated one like they have on droid next year for the iPhone.

Dodger, any updates on your thoughts of the application.
I've used a Magellan for several years, until it was stolen out of my wife's car. Comparing the two I like the Magellan a little better (that probably has to do with the fact that this is a phone app and not a true stand alone navigation system and I was familiar with the Magellan). The main thing I like about the Magellan is the "Most use of Freeways" option, which is not available on the Tom Tom app. Living is SoCal, freeways are more used than surface streets.

With that said, this App has performed well.

It has clear text to voice communication when on the computer voice. Although it can be a little too much as the app will tell you stay on the freeway when passing every intersection. After about 5 miles I had to mute it.

It has good rerouting options, good 2D and 3D maps (although the maps on Magellan were slightly better as it showed every lane).

What I like about it better than the Magellan is the fact that maps are frequently updated. On the Magellan we had to pay for updated maps.

All in all, it is a very good app with no glitches so far. Worth the reduced price. I don't think I would have paid the normal $100 to put it on the phone when I can pay a little more and get a stand alone one.

Thanks for the info Dodger. I didn't purchase the app for the last discount but am really thinking about it again as they are giving a special discount for Christmas right now.

Thanks for the info Dodger. I didn't purchase the app for the last discount but am really thinking about it again as they are giving a special discount for Christmas right now.
It is only $50 now. When I got it, it was on sale for $70. Man, I wish I waited. It is worth $50, but I wonder if in the next year it will be even less?

Since I got myself a car dock for my iPhone I have been using the Tom Tom app a lot. I am very impressed with it. The only thing I wish it had that my Magellan used to have is an option in navigation that states, "most use of freeways". Living in SoCal, most use of freeways is often an important option; more important than "Avoid Freeways" option that it does have.

The new update is friggen awesome.

• Google search integration
  • Updated maps (now addresses of neighborhoods and housing tracks that are still being built near me already appear)
  • Real Time traffic added
  • Music fading feature (now you can listen to iTunes through the Tom Tom app and with the voice command on, the music still plays. You can adjust what percent of the voice command to music)
  • Auto Day and Night mode option
  • Add location feature (you can add locations from other apps, website, ex very quickly)
  • Much better looking map (the POI icons are so much nicer)

Since I got myself a car dock for my iPhone I have been using the Tom Tom app a lot. I am very impressed with it. The only thing I wish it had that my Magellan used to have is an option in navigation that states, "most use of freeways". Living in SoCal, most use of freeways is often an important option; more important than "Avoid Freeways" option that it does have.

What kind of car dock did you get?