tony stewart hits driver

It is pretty bad. I would guess broken back the way he was laying on ground. Idiot for getting out of the car on a dirt track. I doubt Stewart even saw him in that dark suit and the car in front of Stewart nearly hit the guy and slowed. Looked like Stewart had moved up because the car in front hit the brakes

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Out of respect for the deceased young man and his family, I will not repost a working link to the video. As tragic as this is, I personally don't want to believe Tony is at fault.

Reports I've seen so far support that the track was dimly lit and Stewart probably never saw him in that dark suit until it was too late. Tragic and Sheriff's office will sort it out with any video and witness statements.

I just saw the video. There is no way Stewart saw this guy. The swerving that some say Steward did to hit the guy did not happen. The swerve happened after impact. The poor man's body was hit by the front right tire and dragged. The car swerved to the left as a toy car would swerve when a pebble gets stuck under the wheel.

I feel for the man's family. He should have never gotten out of his car!

I think that sums it up. Wow. Mistakes all around. The thing people forget in so many contexts is temper loss can get you in a situation that can cost you plenty. Even your life.

Courts will sort out blame. Nothing we can do to help.

I just saw the video. There is no way Stewart saw this guy. The swerving that some say Steward did to hit the guy did not happen. The swerve happened after impact. The poor man's body was hit by the front right tire and dragged. The car swerved to the left as a toy car would swerve when a pebble gets stuck under the wheel.

I've read that he was struck by the Rear tire, not the front tire.
A driver in front of Tony swerved to miss the guy as well.

I've read that Tony revved the engine as he passed the guy and the car fishtailed.

Had this been a Sprint Cup car it would not have reacted this way, I think the fact that it's a Open wheel car is the reason this happened.

I've read that he was struck by the Rear tire, not the front tire.
A driver in front of Tony swerved to miss the guy as well.

I've read that Tony revved the engine as he passed the guy and the car fishtailed.

Had this been a Sprint Cup car it would not have reacted this way, I think the fact that it's a Open wheel car is the reason this happened.

I watched the video, that is what I saw & heard as well.

Last edited:

the 2 in front of Stewart were able to miss the guy

I saw what I saw. Frame by frame. The swerve did not happen before impact. It happened AFTER. I did not hear an engine rev that corresponded with the impact or swerve either.

The video I saw is at deadspin.com, it has full audio.

To me it seemed TS revved the engine just as flipping someone the bird.

My opinion is 2 bad decisions made by 2 different people. It's a terrible tragedy & regardless of fault it will forever be something TS will have to live with.

Originally, Tony was scheduled to race today(Watkins Glen), once the shock of the situation wore off, Tony advised NASCAR that he would Not be racing today.

My opinion is 2 bad decisions made by 2 different people. It's a terrible tragedy & regardless of fault it will forever be something TS will have to live with.

Sprint cars have no transmission. It's a direct connection from engine to drive train. So when the engine is revved, there's acceleration. With that in mind, I think TS may have been trying to sling a little dirt and mud at the kid. Like you said, flipping the bird.

I totally agree with you. Two bad decisions. One fella will have to deal with it for the rest of his life.

Something to keep in mind watching this video... it's from a fan sitting in the front row grandstands and the accident occurred exit turn 2. As you cannot see what's directly in front of the camera, on the front stretch, as it's zoomed in on turn 2... could easily have been another car's engine that you hear. Far too many variables to make any conclusions... you'd need to have seen it from track level or from outside wall on turn 2.. and even still, there's no way this was intentional...
My condolences to all involved...

For the audio & the car's performance to be in what seems to me "perfect sync" I suppose it could be just coincidental as well.

I agree there is no way this is intentional. Sling some dirt, I believe that was intentional.

Reactions: stimpson

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)