Too big a dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ecarl4100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Tennessee
I potentially have access to a couple of 30" dishes and if I get them, I'm thinking of installing them to eliminate rainfade and I've got the space. I heard you can actually install a dish that is TOO BIG? Because there are multiple satellites at 110, 119, etc, you can actually focus too much on one of the satellites, then lose signal strength on other satellites at the same constellation. It sounds suspicious to me, But I'd like any oppinions before I start laying cable and digging holes. Is this even possible? Thanks.

30" dishes are a nice size. It will help the rain fade issues, but don't expect them to go completely away. I am using 30" on 61.5, 101, 110, 119, 121 and 148. Perhaps I'll replace the 18" on 129 with a 30" someday. :)

As to the too large. In Puerto Rico they use 4'-6' dishes and have reported having to compromise a small bit on the peaking in order to get all the signals they need from a constellation.

ecarl4100 said:
I potentially have access to a couple of 30" dishes and if I get them, I'm thinking of installing them to eliminate rainfade and I've got the space. I heard you can actually install a dish that is TOO BIG? Because there are multiple satellites at 110, 119, etc, you can actually focus too much on one of the satellites, then lose signal strength on other satellites at the same constellation. It sounds suspicious to me, But I'd like any oppinions before I start laying cable and digging holes. Is this even possible? Thanks.

Where did you happen to find the 30" dishes? I would like to put up one or two 30"ers myself but don't want to pay the $75 or so that I've seen them online for plus the dual dplnb. Does anybody know a good source for finding 30" dishes less expensive that will accept a dish lnb? I really am not too excited about doing the Primestar new arm stuff.
Thanks much for your imput.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)