Too good to be true?!?!!? 65 HD channels for $49.99

Mark0

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Lowell, MA
I received my new pricing brochure in yesterdays mail. In clear print under the Turbo HD section, it says:

Turbo HD Gold (over 65 channels)..........$49.99/mo

I counted only 44, but when I spoke with a customer support rep as well as chatted with another, they both confirmed that the additional 21+ channels are Pay Per View and that they are part of the Turbo HD Gold package.

I'm tempted to watch some pay per view, but I have a feeling it's really false advertisement.

When Comcast advertises "Over 1000 HD Choices" nobody's slapping their hand. Should Dish replace their verbiage to put them on parity with Comcast's outlandish claim? ;)

I don't know if you've been watching the Fox News/Business saga unfold, but Turbo HD Gold does not include those two channels.

Comcast does have over 1000 HD choices, it's mostly ON DEMAND; movies, shows, etc. No hands to slap there, like Dish and Direct using non 24 hour, NON-HD, and PPV channels in their counts.

I would love to have those 1000 HD choices on Dish, and I'm sure you wouldn't complain if you had them also.

I'm tempted to watch some pay per view, but I have a feeling it's really false advertisement.

What are you saying? Do you think the Pay Per View is free?

It's right there in the name..."Pay" "Per" "View".

It's not false advertising, just stupid advertising.

When Comcast advertises "Over 1000 HD Choices" nobody's slapping their hand. Should Dish replace their verbiage to put them on parity with Comcast's outlandish claim? ;)

I'm no fan of Comcast, but their claim is equally as valid as Dish' and Directs' claims. Both sat providers include PPV channels in their HD counts, even though each channel only airs 1 program/movie over and over all-day, every day. Comcast has 1 on-demand channel offering nearly unlimited programming. It's all the same.

I am sure he just has the position that all 65 channels should be included in the price advertised. In principle I agree. However I bet somewhere in teeny little letters somewhere it says PPV is extra. Just like all those car commercials that show fully loaded models but only give the basic cost, with some kind of disclaimer about the additional packages in the car shown costing more. So no, because of all these teeny clauses its not false advertising. But it is misleading to the average person. :D

Let me be clear of EXACTLY what it says:

TurboHD

The only 100% HD service in America

• More than twice the amount of HD channels from last year
  • Over 120 HD channels available
  • The Best HD DVR available
  • 1080p Video on Demand - Same resolution as Blue-Ray Disc
Turbo HD Bronze (over 50 channels).........$29.99/mo

Turbo HD Silver (over 60 channels)...........$39.99/mo

Turbo HD Gold (over 65 channels)............$49.99/mo

Packages do not include channels produced in standard definition

No asterisks, no footnotes, nothing (they just spelled Blu-Ray wrong). Even on other parts of the pamphlet. Check your own, I just got it in yesterdays mail.

I took a photo with my camera:

Attachments

• 0226092147.JPG
    0226092147.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 164
So the only way I can read this is as verbatim... you get over 50 HD channels for $29.99, over 60 HD channels for $39.99 or over 65 HD channels for $49.99.

But yet there are approximately 20 LESS than what they are actually saying. Unless they mean duplicate channels on other parts of the spectrum. But that probably wouldn't hold up in court.

sOMEONE BOO-BOOED

Let me be clear of EXACTLY what it says:

TurboHD

The only 100% HD service in America

• More than twice the amount of HD channels from last year
  • Over 120 HD channels available
  • The Best HD DVR available
  • 1080p Video on Demand - Same resolution as Blue-Ray Disc
Turbo HD Bronze (over 50 channels).........$29.99/mo

Turbo HD Silver (over 60 channels)...........$39.99/mo

Turbo HD Gold (over 65 channels)............$49.99/mo

Packages do not include channels produced in standard definition

No asterisks, no footnotes, nothing (they just spelled Blu-Ray wrong). Even on other parts of the pamphlet. Check your own, I just got it in yesterdays mail.

The Blue is any easy boo boo. Since they are spelling it correctly and $ony is using a truncated version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)