Too heck! With those Premium Channels

Mojoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
OK City
Wondering? How many feel as I do. Give me Netflix by mail and the streaming service and I say the heck with those premium service channels. I pay the same as having HBO itself and I feel I get a lot more! Those movie reruns on the premiums are just a pain! Those special series movies may be the only thing that keeps people coming around. Even with the special series I find I can still leave them alone. What do ya all think? Is the premee's subject too extinction.:eek::popcorn

Is this another trolling question? It sounds like this is a question from the desk of the Netflix CEO. Perhaps this post belongs on the Chat portion of the Forum as this really isn't a MVPD sat service question.

They run Netflix ads on here all the time. I feel I can get a complaint about premium channel problems too! And no I'm not an Netflix employee...

HBO was bad when it was 1 channel..(too many repeats) It is even worse now that it has more than 10 channels!! Just the same old series and movies played again and again..atleast with netflix I can chose what I want to watch (DVD service)....

Is this another trolling question? It sounds like this is a question from the desk of the Netflix CEO. Perhaps this post belongs on the Chat portion of the Forum as this really isn't a MVPD sat service question.
If an opinion question such as this is considered "trolling" we might as well close the site.. i wqs not aware that only happy feel good comments about dish services (HBO) are what is allowed..

I'd say your post is closer to trolling. Have you read the announcement posted above in every forum? If a thread does not interest you then please move on.

If it was just for movies, I would agree and wouldn't have any of the premiums.

But HBO and Showtime have some excellent series that I enjoy, and they both have a lot of boxing that I really enjoy watching. Those two alone are what keep me signed up for them. If you want to watch many of the series, the cost to 'subscribe' to them with a streaming service will be very expensive. And live boxing just isn't readily available on the low cost or free streamers, or at least not any legal ones.

As to the other premiums, I start and stop them based on which series they are running at the time.

If an opinion question such as this is considered "trolling" we might as well close the site.. i wqs not aware that only happy feel good comments about dish services (HBO) are what is allowed..

agreed. scott would be the first one to say he wants honest feedback whether it be good or bad. I don't see where the OP is trashing Dish. Premium channels are expensive with Dish,Directv and every other provider who offers them.

I watch series on all 4 of them, and buy my movies so no Netflix does not interest. HBO especially holds its value by keeping original series close to the vest and forcing you to subscribe. This is fine with me because of the quality these series, and now even Cinemax is pumping out some good stuff. On the other hand Ive cancelled Netflix and BB online because I get these long waits, or they just dont ship stuff that is available.

Now if you only subscribe to HBO/Showtime/Max, etc... because you are looking for movies, I feel your head should be examined because there are cheaper routes :)

I never pay full price for Premiums, or have least been lucky so far. Currently I have two. I also have Amazon Prime, so lots of included shows/movies to augment. Netflix is of no interest to me.

For me, I need both Amazon Prime and Netflix to fill the holes that one doesn't have that the other does.

Free 2-day shipping is just a bonus with Amazon Prime.

I haven't payed full price for HBO in a while. I had 3 months free and now on 1/2 price for 6months. I just can't justify $18.00 a month for one premium service. For $16.00 a month I could get both streaming and dvds by mail with Netflix. Of course Netflix is not what it used to be. No selection of new movies and I really don't like waiting for dvds by mail. If it weren't for series tv like True Blood , Boardwalk Empire and Bill Mayher, I wouldn't watch Hbo at all. Same movies can be seen on any premium service as they rotate through. I think Premiums are too highly priced and most people can't afford them anymore. My half price HBO runs out come June, just in time for True Blood. So I can wait till September and pay for one month of HBO and watch all the episodes on HBO GO and then drop it again. I think that the premium channels must be losing subs ,since they are giving away their service at 1/2 price or free for 3 months.

This is individual choice. Some might prefer the premium channals for whatever reason...whereas some prefer SVOD like Netfix...again for whatever reason. Here in PR...my internet speed is inconsistant & poor...so SVOD are not really a good choice for me atleast. But again...I cant justify paying full price for premium channels....also if its just for 1 show I payed for Showtime...just so that I can watch Homeland. but cant do the same for Starz for Spartacus. Now I am still mulling over to see if I want to do the same for HBO & GoT.

But the good thing is its my choice.

I'm the opposite. I've never been into streaming and never will. Disc's by mail has never appealed to me either. I have all the premiums but I really don't watch movies on them except for older ones that are in HD and not on BD. I have them more for the series that are shown on them, and I buy all the new movies that I want on BD.

HBO is much more than movies as others have pointed out. It is one of the most watched channels in our house. Beyond that, Amazon Prime would be my choice over Netfix. (and is)

Well as the leasing fees and basic programming package rise where is the first place we look too cut (the Pre-mee's). Hence the reason I thought for this thread. By the number of free previews we are getting a year I feel their in trouble. Next thing we will start hearing is the premium mergers being talked about. What might be next, all out sports program package? Bye bye ESPN....

The Freeviews are not new at all, Showtime in particular has has freeviews for as long as I can remember, in fact maybe less now. HBO to has had a two or three a year. No doubt viewership is down as it is everywhere, but the freeviews aren't necessarily an indication of anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)