Too many breaks in the line - bad idea?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kymics

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Currently I just have one cable run into the house, but I've ordered a 4x4 multiswitch for my Invacom quad. I want to run 4 cables into the house, so I'm ready to add more receivers over the winter.

My original plan was to run each cable just inside the basement wall into a quad grounding block and then run cable from the block to wherever I need them. Seems like a good plan because the dish needs to be grounded anyway. I'm wondering though, if I was to add a grounding block just outside the house with a short cable run in between the two blocks, if that will hurt my line signal.

Just seems like it would be easier if I had to fix a faulty cable or change wiring for future dishes that I could just easily detach/attach cables. I've just finished reinsulating that basement wall this summer, and I'm not crazy about the idea of pulling cable through at a later date and making things worse.

Anyone try this?

think of future changes

I favor the philosophy of easy replacement to troubleshoot.
And to that end, I put 6' cables on each LNB.
They connect to a grounding block under my eaves, out of what little excuse for weather we have here. :)
Another dish has the grounding block down on the pole below the motor.

The trade off with more connections is that you have more places to fail... but you also have more places to cross-tie your equipment to test for bad switches, cables, LNBs, etc.

It's just a personal call, but I don't like exposing the switches to the elements.
Mine are inside.
If I were to want some outside, I'd put them under the eaves, or in some sort of protected area.

I can troubleshoot by accessing both the cables coming into and going out of my switches.
They are readily accessible just inside one bedroom window.
A location inside a dry basement would be dandy, too.
I don't favor putting switches in an inaccessible attic or under the house, if it makes you cringe, crawl, or sweat to go there. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.