Too many Fortec Choices

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katrinasucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
I hope someone can deconfuseafy me.

After much reading I've figured out that the Fortect Lifetime Classic apparently has a more customizable blind scan than the Fortect Liftetime Ultra and that is what most people prefer.

Just as I was about to squeeze the trigger, I see the Fortec Lifetime Classic NA. Why we needed a non-alcoholic version I wasn't real sure.

Actually I learned the NA stands for North America. It is a few bucks cheaper than the other two and it seems to have more features.

What am I missing?

It just strikes me as odd that the one that cost less does more.

In googling I saw someone say that it was not hackable. (slowdown Iceberg ;-) I don't know if that is true and I don't care about that, but it would expalin why it is cheaper. (and it might be Ice's new favorite receiver ;-)

I've not been able to find any better reason for it being cheaper including at the Fortec site. The NA would lend me to belive it was NTSC only but at least 1 spec sheet says otherwise.

Anyone who can explain why I want one over the other would be apprecaited. I'm confused.

Last edited:
I have an NA and really like it. Don't really know how it compares to anything else since I've never experienced another FTA receiver. It does have a door with a "fake" card slot. Looks like it's made for another model. I was told that the Classic has a more user friendly interface.
Didn't really answer any of your questions did I? If you want me to check anything specific - let me know. I'll get back in a couple of hours and check on this.
Good Luck!

Edit- There is an s-video output on the back of mine.

Last edited:
I guess I'm going to have to print the spec sheets and go bullet point for bullet point.

The NA is only about 30 bucks cheaper. I'd gladly pay the 30 bucks if I thought the Classic was better... But on the surface, it looks like I'd be spending more to get less. And that's no good.

If I come up wih specific questions, I'll ask, thanks for the offer.

Sounds good. Let me know.

When I said that I was told that the Classic has a more user friendly interface, I meant to say the Classic NA.

Hi KS

Only Classic NA is available in North America. The CLASSIC (without NA) is available outside of NA.

Outside of the USA, they use different connectors to connect receiver to TV. That is is the main difference. Both models support Pal / NTSC.

Attachments

• Fortec-Star-Classic3.JPG
    Fortec-Star-Classic3.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 125
Sadoun said:
Hi KS
Only Classic NA is available in North America. The CLASSIC (without NA) is available outside of NA.
Outside of the USA, they use different connectors to connect receiver to TV. That is is the main difference. Both models support Pal / NTSC.

OK, not to be arugmentative but can you explain this to me....

From the Fortec website:

Lifetime Classic Receiver
Digital Free-to-Air Satellite Receiver
3,000 Channel Memory (TV & Radio)
Store up to 5 Favorite Channel Lists

Lifetime Classic NA
Free-to-air Digital Satellite Receiver
Program up to 4,800 channels
Flexible Power Scan controls for Blind Searches

Is it different model years? It sure sounds like two different models to me. I dunno, but I hope you can see why I'm confused.

Edit: So what you are telling me is that if I order a classic in the states even if they don't call it an NA it is? Your site doesn't even call it an NA but it list the 4,800 channels.

Edit2: heh- OK your site doesn't call it an NA on the "receivers" page but does when you click the link. -- Now I know why I'm confused.

Last edited:
Katrinasucks said:
OK, not to be arugmentative but can you explain this to me....
Is it different model years? It sure sounds like two different models to me. I dunno, but I hope you can see why I'm confused.
KatrinaSucks, The Classic NA model replaces the Ultra.

I'm glad someone asked this. I just ordered my first Fortec from Sadoun last week. I looked closely at the specs for the Fortec receivers on their page and decided the "2006 model" of the Lifetime Classic was ever so slightly superior to the Lifetime Ultra. I think it had 2M of flash vs. 1M or something, but that was the only difference I could see. I went with the Classic, and this thread tends to confirm that I made the right choice.

KatrinaSucks,

Your note is well taken and we updated the receivers page by adding NA so that it is not confusing.

Again, just to make it clear, only the CLASSIC NA is sold in North America. :)

Ok I guess the channel thing just confused me. If it is the only one availible than I guess it really doens't matter what the other one is. ;-)

Thanks again.

I had the same dilemma. Couldn't tell which was better (between the Ultra and Classic Na). Ended up with the Classic. I've had it for about Three weeks. I think that it's great. If you wait around here, I think that Sadoun will clear up any questions. He seems pretty good at that. Their email support is pretty good too. (Shipping has some problems :))
The only defect is the manual. It doesn't leave any room for beginners to set up their own system. (No basic information at all.) I had to rely on this forum and Sadoun's website.
I see that you get a free satellite meter kit if you order today. Looks like you get a compass too. Bummer for me.

Maybe you need to read it agian... I was wondering about the Classic vs Classic NA.

Not a single website (including Fortecs) did much to explain the difference. Apparently the "Classic" as we know it in the states is the NA, just some websites use the NA designation and some don't.

Apparently there are 2 models the Classic. The "Classic" which is availible overseas and the "Classic NA" that we get here. My guess is that Fortec made the NA a little after the overseas version so it has slighly better specs. (ie: 4,800 channels vs 3000)

Bottom line, it sounds like if you are buying a "Classic" from a reputable dealer in the states you're getting an NA even if the sales information does not use that designation.

Or that's what I've figured out anyway. ;-)

And from many previous posts, most people prefer the Classic over the Ultra, user interface and customizable scan being a main reasons.

Last edited:
I did know that you were questioning the Classic vs. the Classic NA. I went wrong by forgetting about that and going into my own problems. Sorry.

Anyway, for what its worth, I do like the NA.

It is likely that the same software will work in both receivers in any case. If the main differences are in hardware, such as the euro connectors, the units are probably identical otherwise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts