Too much good HD!! Not enough Space!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jolard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Am I the only one?

It seems like this coming TV season is a strong one, and there are a lot of shows I am very excited about!! But when I worked out how much space all the new (and returning favorite) HD shows are going to take up on my DVR, it worked out to 12 hours a week. I only have 30 hours available totally!!! I won't be able to get too far behind on my viewing. :eek:

Not that I am complaining, (too much) but I hate the idea of maybe having to start taping some of these shows in SD so I have enough room. DISH if you are out there listening, please hurry with the external HD support, I need the space. :hungry: This appears to be a great season coming up.

Here is a list of some of the HD shows I want to DVR, or my wife does. This does not include incidental HD recordings like Concerts on Rave, Get Out on HDNET etc, those are just additional problems!

Lost
The Nine
Heroes
Jericho
Studio 60
30 Rock
The Office
My Name is Earl
Grey's Anatomy
ER
Supernatural
Scrubs
Saturday Night Live

and later in the season

Just for fun, here are some of the SD shows I will be DVR'ing as well:

The Amazing Race
Battlestar Galactica :)( desperately needs to be in HD)
Extreme Makeover Home Edition
The Daily Show with John Stewart
The Colbert Report
Ebert & Roeper at the Movies

The good news is that nearly all our viewing will be in HD this year. The really good news is that there is a LOT of good TV available, and I am excited about the shows.

The bad news is I have no idea how I will find enough time to watch all of this!

What a horrible problem to have :)

Last edited:
Battlestar Galactica IS on in HD on Universal HD.

You sir are technically correct. But only on re-runs. :(

I wish I had the personal fortutude to be able to resist the lure of watching the new season, and the ability to wait for the re-run on UHD after the season is over.

Unfortunately I don't have the required level of patience :eek:

Now if they simulcasted!! :D Then add another hour to my HD list! :)

This whole issue is mostly difficult for me since I recently moved from a 522 which of course have 100 hours of recording time. I am not yet used to the smaller 30 hours I have here. I know I could get 200 hours of SD, but the whole point of moving to the 622 was the HD.

As fast as it seems the demand for hd in the world, E will need to get the Extra storageout as fast as possible. I see tivo has a brand new dvr out and it only has 32 hours of hd storage. You would think they would have made it larger in response to E only having 30 and the number of complaints of wanting more storage.

Scrubs isn't in HD (unfortunately).

But I agree with the rest of your discussion. It will be nice when the external HD's are made active.

No Scrubs in HD! :eek:

Dangit, I was sure it would be, although hey, I guess I can count my blessings, that will be more space on my DVR if I am only recording it in SD! (gives self reminder, change the Timer to the SD channel from the HD channel)

As for the HD TIVO, I was surprised to see that size on their DVR as well. 30 hours is just not enough for a DVR, although I of course understand the space implications of HD. Maybe the MPEG4 will help somewhat? Improve the size available for HD?

Personally I just want that external HD, and then I won't worry at all.

Try doing without LIL HD. Then you have to decide which 1 show to save in HD and Which 2 or 3 shows to save in SD. Kinda sucks.

That is awful, I have to admit, although at least you won't have the space issues ;)

Poor consolation I know.

At least for the past season, they showed BSG on Universal HD after the series had finished on Sci Fi. I haven't heard anywhere that they are planning on doing otherwise, and honestly I would be surprised to see the sistuation change, as I am sure Sci Fi would object to losing their first run priveledges.

wayne231 said:
Try doing without LIL HD. Then you have to decide which 1 show to save in HD and Which 2 or 3 shows to save in SD. Kinda sucks.
Tell me about it. Thankfully I have CBS-HD from a waiver, so I can use that for any shows on CBS.
When I'm really screwed is when 2 of ABC/Fox/NBC/CW have something I want to watch. Not to mention E.R. screwy start a minute early game which screws up the prior hour which contains Supernatural.

Right now my hard choices are Smallville vs. 'til Death, and the last couple minutes of Supernatural and first couple minutes of E.R.. The second one is easy, I'll just record the first part of E.R. in SD.

course if I lose CBS-HD, then I'm majorly screwed, cause most my shows are on CBS

course there is always the Canadian solution...

Space contraints will be tight though, last year when the 721 was the main DVR, I easily had 30 hours saved at a time. I'll just have to be more vigilant in keeping up this year.

my solution is to have both HD TIvo (with East coast channels for time shifting!!) and the 622!! :D :D That gives me over 50 hours of HD recording! :up Though I like last fall better cause they have plenty more SciFi shows (Invasion, Surface, Threshold for example). Unfortunatelly, they all got cancelled!:mad: I can already see that I'll get hooked on the new scifi show "heroes" and it most likely will face the same cancellation destiny!

wayne231 said:

I get all of the networks via OTA and I won't be watching or recording any network programs. Nothing on the list above appeals to me. I liked the first 6 to 8 episodes of Lost Season 1, but after that, I though the quality and pacing pretty much fell off of a cliff.

Oh, just went back and saw BG on the list. I do record that one, but as it is SD, it takes little space.

But I would still like more disc space to record HD movies.

Last edited:
I'm lucky. I have a 622 (30 hours), a 942 (25 hours) and my HTPC can record 60 hours of OTA HD

And on the HTPC I can archive to my removable drive ( 30 hours)

Max Wright said:
Scrubs isn't in HD (unfortunately).

But I agree with the rest of your discussion. It will be nice when the external HD's are made active.
SCRUBS IS IN HD

Cap originally posted by DrCrawn at AVS.

You might have missed it because it didn't make the switch until last season's finale.

Last edited:
I was going to ask you guys when do you have time to watch 60 hrs of TV per week until I remembered that I average more like 80 hrs. I need a life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)