Too Much TV ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
How much Tv can a person auctually watch without it effecting the rest of our Lifes.
Last year my wife and kids and myself cut our TV Package way back to Dish Absolute(we had AEP eveything package)we found ourselves watching way too much TV.Of Course Absolute is all HD and not as many channels,thats okay with us as we now limit are Household to watching 3 hours of TV a day and no TV on the weekeends.My Kids hated this at first but now its not even a problem as they find other projects to work on(their School grades have improved also)For the first time in our household last week ,we didnt turn are TV on for 4 days(we were busy doing other things around town and at home).I think we are much happier not watching so Much TV.
What this comes down to is alot of people complain about not having all the channels they want in the package they want.But honestly how much TV can you watch.I am not trying to preach here as I am not telling people not to watch,just evaluate how much you do.I am very interested in hearing how much TV people watch daily (On average)...

thats why its all about the dvr. ever since i got dvr, i spend less time watching tv, as i can fast forward through all commercials, and watch the show on my time so it does not interfere with other activities.

i really dont have time for much tv myself anymore.. i record everything and then watch it when i get a chance to.. i have a full time job and am a full time college student.. so i have more important things to worry about then tv..

so myself i watch very very little tv

I've been DVRing for years so I watch what I want when I want and I enjoy it much more.

I don't pause life for TV, I pause TV for life.

Why do you care how much other people watch TV?

I care, because youngsters coming into the work force these days have no real skills, but they sure know what is on what channel and how to double click everything on a gaming PC.

Not to mention fat lazy out of shape and mindless, can't read well, certainly can't write, no initiative.

I'd hire a farm boy over a tv geek anyday.

Its a sad price of technology.

i'm just about to get rid of Dish and pay tv all together. The channels are full of junk. Look at TvLand! Its not worth the money anymore. Apple TV is being shipped this week!
Now my kids can enjoy Looney Tunes like I did when I was a child without paying an arm an a leg for the stupid DVD collections or waiting for Pay TV to broadcast it.

I DVR everything. If I fall too far behind in watching TV (i.e. DVR filling up), I delete shows that are ok but not my favorite, and I do not miss them. I always have a ton of stuff to watch during the regular season. I usually take a month after to catch up on everything. The DVR give you a lot of spare time (I even skip ahead in a lot of shows if I can predict the plot).

I'm the exact opposite of one poster here. The weekends are the time I watch the most TV (when I'm not working) and the only thing I don't DVR is live sports, although I might start with all the blasted commercial breaks on the NFL broadcasts. :mad:

I very rarely watch anything live anymore. Occasionaly I watch live news channels like CNN ,Msnbc etc , like during the election. But I have had a dvr of some kind every since 99 when the dishplayer 7100 came out. I have had just about every model of dvr DISH has made and can't wait till the 722K comes out next month. I really like the idea of 2 sat and 2 ota tuners that can be recorded at the same time. THis will come in handy on Thursday nights when I have a show on every network conflicting. As to whether you can ever watch too much tv, You probably could . But my tv stays on from early morning till I go to bed at night , at least at when I am home.

I did cut back on my programming a bit though this last month. I went down to top 250 dvr advantage pack + Hbo/Gold hd /Platinum pack. I even cut off one 622 dvr off of my account. I kept just my two 722 dvrs . Saved about 12.98 a month by doing this. I do wish that DISH would follow DIRECTV and eliminate ALL Dvr fees if you take the dvr advantage pack. I think that by penalizing a customer with more fees, for wanting more than one dvr on their account is kind of short sided. Especially since DISH charges 7.00 per additional hd receiver. Most subs will only keep one dvr instead of paying multiple dvr fees. Imagine how many new subs that DISH would attract if they eliminated both the extra dvr fees and the additional receiver fees too.

OK, grab something to steady yourself.

My TVs (usually two) are on from 6:00AM until 2:00AM, 365 (except for holidays or rare days or nights when the family shows up).

Daytime is almost always non-fiction TV though once or twice a month I'll stumble across a movie I've never heard of and watch whatever is left of it.

All prime time viewing is broadcast networks and is ALWAYS recorded. Whenever the wife and I retire to our master suite, we watch one to three hours max of recorded dramas like NCIS or Law and Order, prime or SV or CI. After that we turn to a nonfiction channel and instantly fall asleep and a timer turns off the last TV at two AM.

I also have my laptop on my lap most of the day... unless I'm making sawdust or wiring something, and I surf the net continuously while I listen to the TV.

When my son shows up I always have a couple of science shows I itching to share with him. When my daughter shows up I share 1930's dramas or 50s scifi movies that she seems to really enjoy. My bother is like me and brings his laptop and surfs the day away and I always have a couple of pieces to show about a subject we share an interest in like the William Shatner roast or a movie he made called "Free Enterprise"

I record three to four hours of gardening shows a week which start here on the left coast at 4:00AM Saturday and Sunday, and my wife watches a bit them after dinner most nights while she reads the mail.

The one glaring exception to this video lifestyle is from when my wife gets home from work and we share a couple of cocktails and conversation on the patio for an hour or two before dinner.

We go out about four times a year. And we "primitive" camp in the desert but I have a solar/battery powered trailer equipped with Dish HD and a week or so will have it's own 612 so some recorded shows will accompany us. After living with a DVR for a few years actually turning on a TV when we retire in the desert and "seeing what's on" isn't not satisfactory.

Is this too much TV?

I care, because youngsters coming into the work force these days have no real skills, but they sure know what is on what channel and how to double click everything on a gaming PC.

Not to mention fat lazy out of shape and mindless, can't read well, certainly can't write, no initiative.

I'd hire a farm boy over a tv geek anyday.

Its a sad price of technology.

The next thing you know you'll be out on the porch telling passing School kids to "Get off my lawn!". :eek:

Every generation says the same thing about the next generation.
*They don't have any manners
*Their music isn't good and they can't understand the singer
*They have no real world skills
*They watch to much TV
*Their video games are to violent

Nobody has 'real world' skills when they are 16 years old. :)

...Every generation says the same thing about the next generation...
*They watch to much TV
*Their video games are to violent....
'EVERY generation says the same thing":confused:

Maybe you don't remember them but there were a "few" generations before TV or video games even existed ;)

Talon Dancer

How much Tv can a person auctually watch without it effecting the rest of our Lifes.

I'd say zero.

It's a drug. I'm OK with that. It's a cheap escape.

But, yea, I know what you're saying.

We cancelled DirectTV in the spring and switched to OTA and now definitely watch less TV. That said, I still catch myself watching TV...just crappier TV now that we don't have satellite. ;)

Our goal now is to go with Dish TurboHD, get the DVR, and limit ourselves to only watch a little bit of TV on the couch. The treadmill will be 'free TV' time.

The kids...regardless of the package you get, they'll watch TV if you let them. The key there is just scheduling and monitoring.

I'm the exact opposite of one poster here. The weekends are the time I watch the most TV (when I'm not working) and the only thing I don't DVR is live sports, although I might start with all the blasted commercial breaks on the NFL broadcasts. :mad:

I dvr all cavs/indians/browns/buckeyes games and start them 45m-1hr after they actually start. Watching an entire game straight through without commercials is a great, great thing. The only hiccup is if friends/family call to discuss a play and you're an hour behind.

'EVERY generation says the same thing":confused:

Maybe you don't remember them but there were a "few" generations before TV or video games even existed ;)

Talon Dancer

Yeah there were but those people still complained about the younger generation. It might not have been about TV but they still complained.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts