Took matter into my own hands!!!

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Well, as most here on these boards already know, local network HD's thru E* are VERY limited and it seems that E* is in no rush to get them to us. For those of you who live in a fairly decent sized DMA, you're probably lucky in the fact that you have OTA HD's available to you.

Not so in my case. I'm at a zip of 05773, in a valley, and the terrain sucks for OTA signals. I'm 78 miles from the Albany New York towers, and 74 miles from the Burlington Vermont towers. All my research led me to believe that I was never going to get anything OTA. I've spoken with a number of station engineers and so called knowledgeable people who swore up and down I wasn't going to be able to get anything via an OTA antenna due to distance and terrain issues.

Well, after nearly 3 months of research, I managed to get an antenna up on the roof this past weekend. It was a $150 dollar investment in my book. At this point I'd rather be out $150, instead of giving E* one more red cent of my hard earned cash for the honor of upgrading equipment and subscribing to a higher priced HD package that I could care less about! I figured if it didn't work, I could always sell the equipment fleabay, or keep it for the next home I purchase...In a bigger DMA of course.

Any way, I got the equipment up this past weekend, carefully aimed for the Burlington towers....AND low & behold I'm able to pull in WPTZ-NBC in glorious HD!!!! 1 out of 4 networks. Now keep in mind I'm 74 miles away from the towers in really crappy, hilly, heavily wooded terrain! I still have a little more tweaking to do in an attempt to get the other networks, but hell, it's a start. Even if I can't get the other networks it's still worth every penny in my book....not having to go thru, wait for, or rely on E* for local network HD's!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations. You're looking at the best PQ money can buy.

Thanks man. I'm really excited. When I set out on this project, I told the wife right off the bat, it may or may not work....we'll just have to try it out and see. Even though I'm only pulling in just the 1 HD signal at the moment, it's still worth it to me!!!:D :D :D

Good work! OTA will almost always be better PQ, and isn't affected by weather as much. Hope you get the rest with that big antenna too.

Good work! OTA will almost always be better PQ, and isn't affected by weather as much. Hope you get the rest with that big antenna too.

Me too! And actually the antenna isn't all that big. It's a 91XG. 91XG.jpg

Wow...no "moving". I'd move to get the HD locals my DMA failed to provide to my area, couldn't live without my HD networks.

I looked at the 91XG, I've always been curious of the performance. The only comparison I've seen is this website which shows the CM4228 outperforming below channel 50. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

Yup, saw that one, and that appears to be the case, but the fact is the 91XG deals with multi-path issues much better which is why I chose it over the 4228...not to mention less weight.

So what's your signal strength Jimmy ?

Out here we have no Fox HD OTA. I'm patiently waiting for them to get the FCC license to do this, but sometimes I think I should just try to get the one 100+ miles away (but I know I won't be able to reach, even with flat terrain).

So what's your signal strength Jimmy ?

Out here we have no Fox HD OTA. I'm patiently waiting for them to get the FCC license to do this, but sometimes I think I should just try to get the one 100+ miles away (but I know I won't be able to reach, even with flat terrain).

Here's the dealio....

91XG
CM7777 pre-amp
50ft. RG-6 Quadsheild coax, RG-6 all the way thru
10ft mast, tripod mount, on top of 20ft eave
All into Dishnet 811
Shooting 73.8 miles over really rough terrain...hills, mountains, woods.
Signal strength locks at 60, my peak is anywhere from low 60's to mid 70's.

Still some more tweaking to do!

A rotor could help your situation if your towers are not in the same general direction. I am using a CM4228 with a rotor and no pre amp up on a tower at about 40ft level in hilly and tree lined terrain 70 miles from the the tower, I range from 73 percent on NBC to 98 on ABC, but I would also state that most likely your terrain is more the likely more sever then mine.

A rotor could help your situation if your towers are not in the same general direction. I am using a CM4228 with a rotor and no pre amp up on a tower at about 40ft level in hilly and tree lined terrain 70 miles from the the tower, I range from 73 percent on NBC to 98 on ABC, but I would also state that most likely your terrain is more the likely more sever then mine.

No rotor needed. All signals come from the same orientation. What's your zip code?

Great job!

Network HD has much better content then any E* has to offer. About 50% of my TV viewing are from locals. I am under 10 miles from the tower and had some problems with multipath.

Now if we can just find a way to get our local RSN with an OTA :)

Good luck with the tweaking.

Great job!

Network HD has much better content then any E* has to offer. About 50% of my TV viewing are from locals. I am under 10 miles from the tower and had some problems with multipath.

Now if we can just find a way to get our local RSN with an OTA :)

Good luck with the tweaking.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts