Took the plunge and ordered Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, after thinking about it, and finally convincing the wife to let me get it (had to sacrifice a few things to do this) I ordered Voom this afternoon. We are going to keep Directv for now (that was part of the deal with the wife) and will pole mount the Voom dish to keep from it being mounted on the fence. The only change will be one cable will come off the dual tuner DTivo making it a single tuner and will go to the Voom box. I have an install date of July 12th. I figured with everyone's delay in installs I would be looking at the end of July at the earliest. I ordered the Voom package and I hope I can convince the wife to let me drop Directv after she sees the PQ difference. I was told on the SD programming that Voom looked better.

Does a pole mount come with the standard installation?

Thank you thank you. I had to sacrifice my VOIP phone (I really don't use it that much anyway) and since we're dropping to one tuner on the Dtivo I had to sacrifice all but two of my season passes. Oh well. :) I'm hoping that when Voom comes out with the HD-DVR this fall I can convince the wife to drop D* all together since the Voom DVR will be networkable with the non DVRs.

Also, about two hours after calling Voom to order I got a call from Kentuckiana Satellite (our local installer here) and was told I could get July 8th for the install. That bumps it up 4 days. I was quoted the pole mount to be $80. If I buy a pole myself can I get them to mount it to the pole I buy?

Yes, they will mount it on the pole for you but ,and I stress this, make sure that the installation company is aware so they can bring whatever equipment they need.
i.e. Free standing Ladder

Neutron said:
What size pole do I need?

The pole that they used for mine was about 2-3 inches around and was about 7 feet long. They buried it about 2 feet deep so the dish stands around head high.

Thanks for the info.

Now I have another question. My best friend wants to order Voom. He lives in an apartment and the only way to get a dish is to not attach it to the building. With that knowledge would Voom include the pole for free? What does Voom do for apartment installs?

Well, my install is set for 8-12 tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!! I was told by the installer today that they will install a Winegard antenna. They didn't tell me the model number.

I'm really excited about the install!! I hope all goes well. Basically they have to take one cable run from my living room off our Directv dish and hook it into the Voom dish. This should be a simple install for the installer.

I really hope the box I get is new or at least has the new software on it already.

Neutron said:
Thanks for the info.

Now I have another question. My best friend wants to order Voom. He lives in an apartment and the only way to get a dish is to not attach it to the building. With that knowledge would Voom include the pole for free? What does Voom do for apartment installs?

I dont' know what voom does specifically but most satellite apartment installs I've seen are done with either a tripod, or if the apartment has a balcony railing they attach it to that. Not sure if voom has tripods but rat shack sells them in most areas.

Neutron said:
Thanks for the info.

I have an apartment, and I intially was going to have my dish pole mounted. So I bought a tripod from Rat Shack ($23.00) and went to Home Depoet and picked up a fence pole ($8.00). However, my installer suggested attaching the dish to the railing via a U-Bolt. My apartment complex is okay with attaching dishes to the balcony as long as you do not drill through the balcony railing.

Also be aware that there is an additional charge for pole mounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)