Top EHD choices

Its more of a WAG :)

Here is a pic of my two set up. I use the 500gb for HD movies and the 1tb for tv shows. With everything on, depending on what I want to watch and what drive is connected, I just pull the usb cord and move it to the other drive, and it works very easily.

09072009009-1.jpg

Here is the drive I bought

08202009004.jpg

Ah, like the photo, easy to get now. Thanks also for differentiating the two units. So, sounds like you switch back and forth, depending on what is to be recorded? You have have two dvr units? Once made into routine, switching to the different dvr units is not much of a hassle. Very organized.

Yeah, I have one cable running from my 722k up to where these two drives are. Depending on whether im recording/watching movies or tv shows, I just connect the right drive.

The My DVR expander is supposed to be a durable drive built for dvr use. I think its more important to use this type with a box like a tivo or directv unit, because they constantly read/write to the drives. The dish dvrs however, only accesss this drive when you do so they are much lower use. Buy the size WD and type that you can get the best deal on. I got the 1tb My Book for cheap off Amazon.

The limit was/is due to larger drives being seen as 2 drives vice one, requiring an adjustment to the software. Some larger drives are not seen that way, and work fine.

The only EHD I've had fail was a MyBook.

The limit was/is due to larger drives being seen as 2 drives vice one, requiring an adjustment to the software. Some larger drives are not seen that way, and work fine.

The only EHD I've had fail was a MyBook.

Interesting, your MyBook had problems, and elwaylite's did not. Wonder why? Which EHD do you have?

Yeah, I have one cable running from my 722k up to where these two drives are. Depending on whether im recording/watching movies or tv shows, I just connect the right drive.

The My DVR expander is supposed to be a durable drive built for dvr use. I think its more important to use this type with a box like a tivo or directv unit, because they constantly read/write to the drives. The dish dvrs however, only accesss this drive when you do so they are much lower use. Buy the size WD and type that you can get the best deal on. I got the 1tb My Book for cheap off Amazon.

The 722k knows right away that there is a different EHD plugged in? Sounds like it, and there isn't any programming changes that need to be made? That is easy and practical.

Yeah, when you unplug you get a popup, then you say ok. When you plug the next one in, you get another popup and its ready to go. No changes because all that is stored on the drive is programming.

Yeah, when you unplug you get a popup, then you say ok. When you plug the next one in, you get another popup and its ready to go. No changes because all that is stored on the drive is programming.

Thanks, excellent and easy too. I re read your earlier post that said what two EHD you have. Is the DVR Expander the same as My Book Essential? What is the main difference?
You also mentioned that the MyBook was good for Tivo and directtv units. Seems like it would be good for the 722 series too?
One thing I seem to see is that the Expander costs more than the Essential? Also they seem to have similar storage capacity.

Main difference, from my reading, is the my dvr expander was designed to be a dvr drive. This is important with the tivo and directv units, because they were always working the drive, therefore it gets a lot more use. The dish method of archiving, means the drive only works when you move a show to/from it or watch a show, therefore less wear and tear. The internal dvr drives are always working, which wears them out faster. I do not think you need to pay more for a My DVR Expander because of the way Dish's system works.

Main difference, from my reading, is the my dvr expander was designed to be a dvr drive. This is important with the tivo and directv units, because they were always working the drive, therefore it gets a lot more use. The dish method of archiving, means the drive only works when you move a show to/from it or watch a show, therefore less wear and tear. The internal dvr drives are always working, which wears them out faster. I do not think you need to pay more for a My DVR Expander because of the way Dish's system works.

I have been reading a post by 120inna55, where he states the model #WDH1S5000N. That one is on the WD site. He says Dish allegedly supports that model. Is that the model you are using? That is another discovery I have made, which is to be careful what is supported, and WD products look good so far.

I have a NexStar 3 and a generic enclosure where I put the WD HDD from the MyBook in. It was the electronics in the MyBook that failed. I am considering adding a Seagate Freeagent Extreme 1.5TB to the mix, if it would work. I lucked into this drive. If I use it, I'll have to turn off the spin-down mode first.

The NexStar stays on, the other is only powered up when in use.

I am seriously considering going to the trouble of backing up these drives.

To do it over again, and for future purposes, I'd pay the extra and wait for the delivery of, HDDs meant for DVR use.

WD5000H1S for the 500gb My DVR Expander

WD1000H1U for the 1tb MyBook

Thanks. Your # looks the same, except reversed. WD website lists it WD5000H1S. Guess they are the same? Will research that part. And thanks for the model # on the MyBook.

I have a NexStar 3 and a generic enclosure where I put the WD HDD from the MyBook in. It was the electronics in the MyBook that failed. I am considering adding a Seagate Freeagent Extreme 1.5TB to the mix, if it would work. I lucked into this drive. If I use it, I'll have to turn off the spin-down mode first.

The NexStar stays on, the other is only powered up when in use.

I am seriously considering going to the trouble of backing up these drives.

To do it over again, and for future purposes, I'd pay the extra and wait for the delivery of, HDDs meant for DVR use.

Thanks for the NexStar info. Where can I find more info about the HDD meant for DVR use?

I too have used the a Nexstar case. Only thing I did not like, and it did not cause any issues, was the lack of ventilation. It got very warm, while my WD's stay real cool. I had a Free Agent with my Directv dvr, and it was hot but worked fine. From what Ive read, the Seagate seems to be hit or miss.

Your number was right, I added one to many zeros.

Navy is referring to the 500gb My DVR Expander. Its supported by TiVo, Dish and Directv (I think). Its a great drive, I just needed a 1tb because most of my fall and spring recording is OTA (20-25hrs per week), and at 8gigs a pc, they take up a lot of space.

I too have used the a Nexstar case. Only thing I did not like, and it did not cause any issues, was the lack of ventilation. It got very warm, while my WD's stay real cool. I had a Free Agent with my Directv dvr, and it was hot but worked fine. From what Ive read, the Seagate seems to be hit or miss.

Your number was right, I added one to many zeros.

Navy is referring to the 500gb My DVR Expander. Its supported by TiVo, Dish and Directv (I think). Its a great drive, I just needed a 1tb because most of my fall and spring recording is OTA (20-25hrs per week), and at 8gigs a pc, they take up a lot of space.

I think your Expander model # was correct except yours is in a different order and missing the letter (N):
Yours: WD5000H1S
One referred to from 120inna55: WDH1S5000N
Either way, probably the same.

Had no problems with my seagate external hard drives after I turned the sleep features off via their website. I have 4 of them and use one for my boy and his 211k to turn it into a dvr. The other 3 I have for my 722k. No problems .

I think your Expander model # was correct except yours is in a different order and missing the letter (N):
Yours: WD5000H1S
One referred to from 120inna55: WDH1S5000N
Either way, probably the same.

Upon more reading of Dish site, I did notice that 1tb is listed as the max supported. So, that was interesting too. Could go with either the 500gb or 1tb. That is unless there is a WD 750 gb floating around?

Had no problems with my seagate external hard drives after I turned the sleep features off via their website. I have 4 of them and use one for my boy and his 211k to turn it into a dvr. The other 3 I have for my 722k. No problems .

Very interesting MikeD. So that is the protocol, you log on to their site and turn off the sleep feature? What link?

Upon more reading of Dish site, I did notice that 1tb is listed as the max supported. So, that was interesting too. Could go with either the 500gb or 1tb. That is unless there is a WD 750 gb floating around?

I use WD mybook Essential 750's. Haven't had a lick of trouble.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)