Top Rated HD PPV movie not in 5.1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slardy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Folks,:mad:

Today I recorded the second top PPV movie this month that came through with no Surround Sound, even though the opening banners from DirecTV states the the movie is in SS. The first movie this happened with was Oceans 13; today's recording was The Bourne Ultimatum. I have successfully recorded PPV movies in SS (Dolby Digital 5.1) ; Ratatouille, Rescue Dawn, Harry Potter, and numerous HD channel movies including HBO. In fact, I have never had this problem with HBO.

I called Directv and sent them an email. In my last conversation with the Tech Department, they told me that they do not know why this is happening, that the Tech Dept is checking into this.

While I did get credit for the movie (which I did not watch, but deleted since is was not in SS), I still had to speed too much of my time on the phone answering questions like, what kind of cables are you using?, do you have your DVR set for digital sound output?, etc.:mad:

Am I the only one having this problem. Please tell me if you have noticed this problem on these exact movies or other PPV movies.

Thanks

Goaliebob99,

The movies are in HD, they just don't have 5.1 Surround Sound.

Slardy

In the guide description it does not even show "TBU" as presented in DD 5.1. Granted I think they should be offering DD 5.1 on HD, but at least according to the HD PPV detail its not being offered and should not be looked for in the showing. NOW, calling and email DirecTV to find out why its NOT OFFERED, is another process. At least you know its not a malfunction.

The Bourne Ultimatum (HD)

Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) continues his international quest to uncover his true identity while staying one step ahead of those who want to kill him. (AS,V)(CC,SS) MALTIN MINUTE. Available for Live Viewing and/or Recording Only.

Channel: 138 PPVHD
Air Time: Saturday, January 26 4:30 PM CST
Duration: 117 minutes
Categories: Movies, PPV
Actors: Paddy Considine, Joey Ansah, Scott Glenn, David Strathairn, Julia Stiles, Edgar Ramirez, Corey Johnson, Daniel Brühl, Tom Gallop, Joan Allen, Albert Finney, Dan Fredenburgh, Colin Stinton, Matt Damon
Other Credits: Patrick Crowley, Scott Z. Burns, Paul L. Sandberg, Doug Liman, Tony Gilroy, Henry Morrison, Jeffrey M. Weiner, Frank Marshall, George Nolfi
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Release Year: 2007
Director: Paul Greengrass

Charper1, I am not going by the guide descriptions. I am going by what Directv says in the opening banners of the movies.

BTW, you will never find any audio described as SS, DD or other wise, in the guide: it will be noted as AC or AC-3.

When you record the Bourne Ultimatum HD on a DVR, the DirectV banners at the beginning state SS. To me, SS means surround sound. Surround Sound does not mean Dolby Digital 2.0, it means Dolby Digital 5.1. If Directv says the following movie is in SS, and it is not, what an I to conclude. This happen to me on 2 out of about 5 movies.

Either they are total inept, or they are charging their customers for top rated PPV movies that do not have 5.1. Why have a home theather system, subscribe to Directv and watch The Bourne Ultimatum in stereo?

I have never had this problem with movies from HDNET movies, HBO, etc. Only PPV HD movies.

Last edited:
Just a FYI, Oceans 13 has AC-3 5.1 on Dish HDPPV, so assuming both companies use the same source, that movie should have 5.1.

Charper1, I am not going by the guide descriptions. I am going by what Directv says in the opening banners of the movies.

BTW, you will never find any audio described as SS, DD or other wise, in the guide: it will be noted as AC or AC-3.

When you record the Bourne Ultimatum HD on a DVR, the DirectV banners at the beginning state SS. To me, SS means surround sound. Surround Sound does not mean Dolby Digital 2.0, it means Dolby Digital 5.1. If Directv says the following movie is in SS, and it is not, what an I to conclude. This happen to me on 2 out of about 5 movies.

Either they are total inept, or they are charging their customers for top rated PPV movies that do not have 5.1. Why have a home theather system, subscribe to Directv and watch The Bourne Ultimatum in stereo?

I have never had this problem with movies from HDNET movies, HBO, etc. Only PPV HD movies.

Thus I say contacting them would be the best case scenario to get an answer. Here will be simply speculation.

I checked the 4PM CST HD PPV's and Bourne and Rush Hour 3 came in as DD2.0, Simpsons and Spiderman 3 were in DD 5.1. All four of them on the opening's say stereo sound, surround sound, none of them said anything about DD.

Directv Guide Descriptions Not Accurate

I checked the 4PM CST HD PPV's and Bourne and Rush Hour 3 came in as DD2.0, Simpsons and Spiderman 3 were in DD 5.1. All four of them on the opening's say stereo sound, surround sound, none of them said anything about DD.

Rad, If the opening banners state SS or the guide states AC (or AC-3 more correctly), then the digital audio encoding should be Dolby Digital 5.1. Any thing less is short changing the customer because there is not top-rated movie being produced today that is not encoded in DD 5.1 audio (or better, e.g. DTS).

When I watch a DVD today, I get reliable discrete Surround Sound, Closed Captioning, usually a choice of audio encoding e.g. DTS/5.1, and some interesting extras, such as, "The Making Of" and Commentaries. For this I pay less than $4.99. Of course, the video is not HD, but it is very close with my upconverting DVD player.

Will Contacting DirecTV Help?

Thus I say contacting them would be the best case scenario to get an answer. Here will be simply speculation.

charper1, I have contacted them on both occasions that the guide indicated SS and the audio was in DD 2.0. Have you ever tried to get Directv to give you some feedback on an issue? Won't happen. All they tell you is that their technicians are looking into it. Here is your money back, have a nice day.

It is forums like this that can really get the attention of a businesses like Directv. If they see enough customers complaining about their product, they may improve the product. In this case, all I am asking for is the same audio product that is on DVD.

The same goes for CC (closed captions), I have yet to find an Directv HD PPV movie that has working CCs. The guide may say CC, but CC is not there. This is an important ommision.

Rad, If the opening banners state SS or the guide states AC (or AC-3 more correctly), then the digital audio encoding should be Dolby Digital 5.1. Any thing less is short changing the customer because there is not top-rated movie being produced today that is not encoded in DD 5.1 audio (or better, e.g. DTS).

When I watch a DVD today, I get reliable discrete Surround Sound, Closed Captioning, usually a choice of audio encoding e.g. DTS/5.1, and some interesting extras, such as, "The Making Of" and Commentaries. For this I pay less than $4.99. Of course, the video is not HD, but it is very close with my upconverting DVD player.

Surround Sound doesn't have to mean DD5.1 audio, Dolby was doing surround sound before there was digital audio and it could be only two front and 1 rear speakers.

Now as to why D*'s showing some of the PPV's without DD5.1 audio is a good question, please let us know what they tell you when they respond.

Different Times, Different Audio?

Interesting.

I just ran the beginning of Rush Hour 3 and it is in 5.1 SS. Just like Bourne Ultimatum, guide says AC. Is someone at Directv just not pressing the right button on Bourne Ultimatum and Oceans 13?

Slardy

Last edited:
I find it's a hit and miss with them, I have recorded Live Free and Die Hard Uncut and Halloween and I got the 5.1, but then I would record Oceans 13 and low and behold 2.0......who knows????? I would have to agree though, if I am going to pay 4.99 for the HD movie, I want both the picture quality and the sound quality....consider this my complaint DIRECT....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)