Tornado strike again in AL

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Tornados cleared a wide path through Center Point, a suburb just north of Birmingham sometime around 4am, numerous houses destroyed, businesses destroyed or damaged, so far one known fatality in a residence. Areas affected include Clay, Chalkville, and other locations in northeast Jefferson County. Roads are closed due to downed trees and debris. Please post any feeds you find, this was only about 12mi south of my location. Luckily, no damage at my house.
edit: Already learning about other places hit by tornados/storms, Oak Grove area of western jefferson county (hit in 1998 tornado outbreak), another fatal there, and in Chilton County, about 45miles south of Birmingham.

Last edited:
Some friends of ours originally from that area just went down to Center Point due to parents failing health. Had some pictures on Facebook from a street near where they are staying. Bad damage.

I'm sorry to hear about our neighbors in AL getting all that damage from the storms. Glad you didn't get a direct hit. We were lucky here in east TN this time, but we still got some high winds. No fatalities here though. I know you all really got hit hard in AL by the tornados last year. We got hit hard here just a few years back, so I know how it is. The storms seem to be starting a lot earlier this year. God bless and stay safe.

Last years storms, if they did anything good, must've made people more aware, and to stay tuned to the forecasts. The destruction from Mnoday's storms may equal what happened in Jefferson County on last April 27, but not in deaths. There are entire subdivisions just erased, but I think only two deaths from the storm, about a hundred injured. To see the damage on the east side of town, you'd expect hundreds of people killed. A friend's former home, which was rented out to a single father of an infant , was flattened by huge trees, just seconds after he grabbed the child and ran into the basement, in that area where the tornado struck. They were uninjured.

Although I do not know the lady, there is a woman that works at the same place I do here in Birmingham who's daughter 16 years old was killed in that tornado in a subdivision called Steeplechase, it is near Clay in the northeastern part of Jefferson County, about 20 miles up I-59 from Birmingham proper.
There was an article in the Birmingham News about it. Two members of the family landed in the swimming pool, one was under some debris. The girl was evidenlty thrown from either the second or third floor of the house, and found about 40 feet away on a mattress. Very sad indeed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts