Not open for further replies.

JerryVolunteer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
I have DTV-HD

I need some help.

I am down to two different sets. The 62" TOSHIBA DLP # 62HM84 or the 61" JVC HD ILA #61Z786.

I have read an array of reviews on both. The only complaint I can find on the JVC is that the fan is loud and annoying. If anyone has either of these sets or know anything about them please let me know. Thanks!

Tell me which to purchase....I am leaning toward the JVC....lol

The Toshiba you referenced is using the older HD2+ DLP chip. Toshiba and all other brands are shipping next week the new 2005-06 models with the HD3 DLP chip.

We are receiving LG's HD3 DLPs this week. They looked absolutely fabulous at CES. Lower priced and better performance, every year HDTV's get better and cheaper and the model year is just changing now.

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

Wouldn't these tv's end up changing faster than once a year if the technology advances fast enough? I thought they were changing quicker than this.

Sometimes we see mid year product changes or products coming out earlier than May.

Most new products are showcased at the CES Show, every year, in early January and become available in the spring-early summer.

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital TEchnology Dealer

Thanks Robert,

I have been told that DLP's are bad on the rainbow effect. TGhat would totally annoy me. Do you know anything about the JVC I referenced? If not what is the best 60+" TV that you would recommend.

I would be concerned about having company that would have the rainbow effect with them. Does anyone know what the odds of having the rainbow effect is? It also causes some people migranes. Does it cause migranes in some people even if they do not see the rainbow effect?

I don't know where you heard that the JVC has a loud fan, but we have a 61" and a 52" HD-ILA and have had the same ones in here for the last 7 months. No fan noise or any other off the wall noises coming from the sets.

The new ILA's have 4 color chips now, one of each red, green, yellow, and blue. We have sold several of these over the last few months and our customers are nothing but happy, if not ecstatic with them.

We also have a Toshiba 52" new model 94 DLP sitting next to these and the JVC blows it away, both in picture quality and price. And with the D.I.S.T. technology on the JVC that writes the picture at 770p, well you do the math.

I would seriously recommend the JVC for anybody who wants a long lasting, great picture, hi-def T.V.

The rainbow effect does come from some DLP TVs, but less than 2% of the population can see the rainbow. I have only heard of one person effected by seeing a rainbow. He did not get any headache, but did report seeing a rainbow from his DLP front projector.

The rainbow effect has been reduced by putting in a larger and more segments in the color wheel and spinning the wheel faster so I don't think anyone would be effected by today's modern DLP HDTVs.

You would love the JVC and never be sorry you purchased it. If you can wait until the end of May, LG has the new 62SAX4DA, 3rd generation 62" DLP coming out, which would cost about $3,200. delivered to your door. The latest HD3 DLP chip set delivers a terrific HD image quality and this HDTV's built-in audio system is very well matched to the TV. This new HDTV comes with LG's very highly acclaimed 5th generation ATSC tuner and is CableCard ready.

Here's a link to the data sheet. http://valueelectronics.com/images/pdf/LG%2062SX4D.pdf

-Robert

Thank you all for your help.

I happen to be one of those weird people that can see the rainbow effect in the DLP. It doesnt do anything to me just annoying.

I actually have one other TV that I have become fond of. Does anyone know about the Sony 55" LCD Grand Wega™ KDF55WF655. I have narrowed it down to the JVC and this. I am now leaning toward the Sony. What is yalls take on this TV? Again, Thanks for the help!

JerryVolunteer said:
Thank you all for your help.

I happen to be one of those weird people that can see the rainbow effect in the DLP. It doesnt do anything to me just annoying.

I actually have one other TV that I have become fond of. Does anyone know about the Sony 55" LCD Grand Wega™ KDF55WF655. I have narrowed it down to the JVC and this. I am now leaning toward the Sony. What is yalls take on this TV? Again, Thanks for the help!

Jerry.....After being a long time Sony believer, I bought the 55' grand vega the beginning of the year right before the Super Bowl....and I am sorry to say that I was highly dissapointed. The T.V. was nowhere near the quality that I had been impressed with over the years from Sony. I took it back after 2 weeks of having to adjust the convergence everyday and hassling with color issues. Needless to say I was not impressed with it. The sales rep where I bought it said that they had been getting a lot of complaints with them....it was sure nice of them to tell me that before I bought it. Since then I have had a few people come into the show room unhappy with thier Vega, and looking for something better. Sometimes they buy a JVC, sometimes they don't. But I have had more customers say how happy they are with the JVC more than anyother brand put together, one customer liked it so much that he bought another one instead of the LCD he had me order for him.

Will there be an LG without the cableguard which would be cheaper? I have noticed that some of the current tv's with the cableguard are about $500 more than the ones without it.

Stargazer said:
Will there be an LG without the cableguard which would be cheaper? I have noticed that some of the current tv's with the cableguard are about $500 more than the ones without it.

Not in DLP, but yes for plasma and direct view CRT HDTVs.

-Robert

I have the Sony KDF-50WE655 grand wega model and I am very happy with it!! I purchased mine back in January and I thought the Superbowl looked outstanding on my model. I had a big party and everyone was impressed with the TV and the surround system (which is JVC but bought several years ago, lol). I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Sony.

Another thing to be aware of is the space you are putting the tv in. That 55 or 60" plus tv looks small on that showroom floor, but when you get it in your home with the smaller rooms and lower ceiling you will be surprised how HUGE it seems/looks. I know when we were looking at the 50" model we bought, it didn't seem that it would be that big. I had actually thought of getting the 55" Mitsuibishi model but couldn't make the price work for me. Boy, am i glad I didn't get it because the 50" Sony is perfect and anything bigger would not have fit in my living room...

I want to get a 65" HD television in the future. I thought about getting a projector but three drawbacks - bulb life and cost, need low lighting for the cheaper ones, does not have a tuner that upconverts/improves the SD picture quality. I know someone that has a 46" Samsung that has outstanding SD picture quality.

The much maligned mustang 3 chip has been in some Samsungs and the RCA Scenium line for almost a year. (TI would only gave exclusivity for support to those 2 companies, so the normal sales ploy was, "you don't want the 3 because it's not as good as the 2+." I guess sales tactics will change now.) We have a 50" RCA SCenium next to a JVC 52" DILA. After about 20 minutes of tweaking, we were able to get the DLPs almost as good as the DILA. We've seperated the Grand Wega from both of those sets and placed it next to a JVC (Panasonic glass) Plasma. But that's another story.

Stargazer said:
I would be concerned about having company that would have the rainbow effect with them. Does anyone know what the odds of having the rainbow effect is? It also causes some people migranes. Does it cause migranes in some people even if they do not see the rainbow effect?

All single chip DLPs have rainbow effect. To some people this is visible, To some folks it is subconscious, causing eye strain, and to some, it is has no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)