Toshiba at CES

Hmmm. Yes. And could "great" (good enough) upconversion restore DVD sales? After all, I doubt the goal would be to make already purchased DVDs look better. They want to get people to buy more movies, not be happy with the ones they already have.

Hmmm. Yes. And could "great" (good enough) upconversion restore DVD sales? After all, I doubt the goal would be to make already purchased DVDs look better. They want to get people to buy more movies, not be happy with the ones they already have.

Not if they were lashing out at the whole industry. It is possible they might be doing this because of sour grapes.

And if the end user benefits *shrug* The could kill everything but digital downloads with this move (If it is good enough)

Or they could be blowing hot air up all of are arses.

I totally agree. Just like we saw progressive scan players drop in price to the point it was almost impossible to find a non-480p DVD player. Soon the same thing will happen with upconvert players replacing non-upconverting. And then as you mention, BD players will be the standard, though you'll still be able to find an el cheopo Magnavox or Akai non-BD player tucked away on the bottom shelves of Wal-mart and Target.

BD may just not become standard if these new upconverters do a great job. That may extend the life of DVD's untill this whole downloading thing can get worked out.

It is far from a given that people will move en masse to video downloads, even if they get it working perfectly.

It is far from a given that people will move en masse to video downloads, even if they get it working perfectly.

No but we can use the same argument that the PS3 helped win the HDM war that could be used with the 17.7 million 360 owners, 10 million of which have live accounts. Having access to downloadable content.

I mean MS has just locked up Disney/ABC, and MGM (A Sony owned company).

I don't like the rental system for it. Though I have used it 3 times in the last year.

No but we can use the same argument that the PS3 helped win the HDM war that could be used with the 17.7 million 360 owners, 10 million of which have live accounts. Having access to downloadable content.

I mean MS has just locked up Disney/ABC, and MGM (A Sony owned company).

I don't like the rental system for it. Though I have used it 3 times in the last year.

Here's my question, hows the PQ?

Sony could do the same, the ps3's penetration is growing too. Im sure they are considering it. We are just pawns in their game of chess.

Here's my question, hows the PQ?

Sony could do the same, the ps3's penetration is growing too. Im sure they are considering it. We are just pawns in their game of chess.

PQ is as good as HD-DVD (don't own BD to compare) It is VC-1, Issues develop from the fact that it takes a while to download a movie (though you can start watching it about 50% into the download.

I have 10mb connection from charter. So It does not phase me as much as someone that may only have a 1mb or less connection.

BD may just not become standard if these new upconverters do a great job.
BD is a standard.
Competition might threaten their plans for "world domination", i.e. replacing DVD as the dominant home movie watching format.

Diogen.

The worst thing HD-DVD could do to blu-ray is remove the licencing fees on HD-DVD.. do you continue to stick with a format you have to pay for or reconsider a format that you make more profit from?

The worst thing HD-DVD could do to blu-ray is remove the licencing fees on HD-DVD..
IIRC, neither format has set royalty payments yet, i.e. whoever uses them now doesn't pay anything (except for "old" capabilities, like MPEG-2 decoding and such).
And even if they were, DVD Forum (that handles HD DVD matters) can't singlehandedly do this since BD companies are in the patent pool.

Diogen.

The worst thing HD-DVD could do to blu-ray is remove the licencing fees on HD-DVD.. do you continue to stick with a format you have to pay for or reconsider a format that you make more profit from?

The BD people own patents that the HD-DVD uses, and vice versa. It is not going to be free. And why would you want to make a device that the chinese will flood the market on if there are no restrictions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts