Toshiba Firmware Downloads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
Toshiba finally wised up and put all their firmware updates up on the web for download as CD ISO files:

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/#

Actually, it looks like Toshiba Canada, but they list the latest FW updates for all HD DVD models, as well as some TV's, etc.

The ISO files are an image for a complete CD. You'll need a blank CD-R or RW, and burning software such as Nero.

I get the FW updates on disk from Toshiba for free, but it takes several weeks, I'm not known for my patience, so I've always updated my XA1 via its ethernet port - with fingers crossed that I've remembered to take any disk out of the tray, my satellite internet service doesn't crap out halfway through, the creek don't rise and the electricity stays on. :p

Downloading the ISO file should be a lot faster and less risky.

Reactions: bullici
That really makes it sound like the method to update Blu-rays (burn a disk) is better than online. I'd prefer online- but you're right, that is a leap of faith on the connection.

That really makes it sound like the method to update Blu-rays (burn a disk) is better than online. I'd prefer online- but you're right, that is a leap of faith on the connection.

Well, for me - living out in the boonies with satellite internet (the only option besides dial-up) - and already have disc burning software and blank media, yeah, I'd prefer to download & burn to disk. For most folks its probably easier to just let their player connect & update.

But the required ethernet connection is there for a lot more reasons than the occasional firmware update. With the also required memory storage, the HD DVD specs allow for the downloading of additional content to compliment what's on the disc - additional/deleted scenes, alternative endings, additional audio tracks with different languages, subtitles, etc. Also interactivity with studios' web content. The first of this is coming with WB's "Blood Diamond" in June. Rather than make BD only owners wait for what may never be possible on blu-ray, the "plain vanilla" version of Blood Diamond is coming out in June on blu-ray. While a lot of folks poo-poo this interactive features, I was surprised to see a poll on AVS that almost 80% were opting for the HD DVD version to see what it's all about. ;)

I may have bought a PS3 so I can enjoy HD exclusives in both formats, but I still prefer my Kool Aid flavored red. :D

Last edited:
Cochise,

Thanks for the link. I tried to get the disc, but it was not available yet. When I was talking to CS about putting the updates on the website so people could download and burn a cd, the guy was like 'huh?"

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts