Toshiba HD- A20 error code 408bc504

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rfischer4073

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Merritt Island, FL
Hi everyone,
I figured I'd post a message here as I've not seen any posts regarding the error code:408bc504.

I've read alot on the web about this error, and understand that is it is caused by HD-DVD/DVD combi discs. I had just downloaded the firmware software 2.7, and the problem still continues.

Any suggestions I could pursue, short of calling WB or Toshiba? I've heard that rebooting the device can help, but also have read that doing that could damage the player.

Thanks very much for your help!

Rick

Hi everyone,
I figured I'd post a message here as I've not seen any posts regarding the error code:408bc504.

I've read alot on the web about this error, and understand that is it is caused by HD-DVD/DVD combi discs. I had just downloaded the firmware software 2.7, and the problem still continues.

Any suggestions I could pursue, short of calling WB or Toshiba? I've heard that rebooting the device can help, but also have read that doing that could damage the player.

Thanks very much for your help!

Rick

It's not just combo discs. I got it once with a rental disc. I took the disc out, cleaned the thing, then put it back in and enjoyed the movie.

Are you sure the disc is clean and free of smudges, oils, fingerprints, etc.?

Well, that's a bit scary. I'm almost afraid to purchase any at this point until a new firmware update is released. I've got 2.7 right now. The disc was new out of the case, tried to clean it anyway as you suggested. No success however.

Thanks,
Rick

I bought two A2's during the wally world sale. I've tried watching 4 HD-DVD's, only one played all the way through successfully. Both have the latest updates.

One HD-DVD was brand new and still had issues. Sound like some serious QA issues with HD-DVD production or in the players themselves. Either way I don't have time to be a beta tester, both are going back today for refunds. FYI, I had to get one of the two replaced as the original was DOA.

Early adopters? There are bad SD DVD discs and bad Blu-ray discs as well.

How on earth did you find four bad HD-DVD's in a row? No one's luck is that bad. Did you get these from some guy selling bootlegs in a barbershop?

All Toshiba players are sensitive to smudges. The cheap Chinese $30 DVD players at Wal-Mart don't care. Those things will play anything. Same goes for the flimsy Philips players.

I do agree that this is still early in the market. Toshiba has some work to do with the A20's. A2's? Not so much.

Do you want to sell me your bad HD-DVD's?

I finally got that stupid error last night 23 minutes into a 24 minute long first viewing of "HDNet: Art Mann Presents Crazyness in Austin".

Yawn... I yanked the disc out, cleaned it with soap and water, dried it with a paper towel, then put it back in and it played flawlessly. I don't blame HD-DVD or Toshiba. I blame HDNet and their replication facility.

As for me, I returned an opened "Oceans 13" to Ciircuit City, plus an unopened "Syriana" both combo discs. The service rep at CC mentioned that the return rate of combo discs has led them to alter their policy of taking back opened HD DVD discs. I was shocked when they gladly let me exchange the disc for another title . I did clean the Oceans 13 disc prior to returning it based upon advice given here and other forums, but that did not rectify the error messages. It probably didn't hurt that I bought the player from them either. :)

I picked up "Transformers", not a combo disc, and will see how that works for me.

As for the player itself, I'd not return it based upon how it dramatically imrpoves regular DVD upconverting, in my case to 1080P. The upconverting process is worth the price of the player itself. I find it nothing short of amazing. I'll wait for future firmware updates and the disc manufactures to iron out their issues.

Early adopters? There are bad SD DVD discs and bad Blu-ray discs as well.

How on earth did you find four bad HD-DVD's in a row? No one's luck is that bad. Did you get these from some guy selling bootlegs in a barbershop?

All Toshiba players are sensitive to smudges. The cheap Chinese $30 DVD players at Wal-Mart don't care. Those things will play anything. Same goes for the flimsy Philips players.

I do agree that this is still early in the market. Toshiba has some work to do with the A20's. A2's? Not so much.

Do you want to sell me your bad HD-DVD's?

As for me, I returned an opened "Oceans 13" to Ciircuit City, plus an unopened "Syriana" both combo discs. The service rep at CC mentioned that the return rate of combo discs has led them to alter their policy of taking back opened HD DVD discs. I was shocked when they gladly let me exchange the disc for another title . I did clean the Oceans 13 disc prior to returning it based upon advice given here and other forums, but that did not rectify the error messages. It probably didn't hurt that I bought the player from them either. :)

I picked up "Transformers", not a combo disc, and will see how that works for me.

As for the player itself, I'd not return it based upon how it dramatically imrpoves regular DVD upconverting, in my case to 1080P. The upconverting process is worth the price of the player itself. I find it nothing short of amazing. I'll wait for future firmware updates and the disc manufactures to iron out their issues.

360 Add on Drives suffer similar problems.

The solution is to wash the disc in hot soapy (gentle soap only) water. Then the Combo disks work just fine. It's theorized the process they use to burn Combo disks leaves a thin residue on the disks and the Drives have problems reading them until the residue is washed off.

Thanks!
I'll give that a go when I encounter the problem again.

I appreciate the solid advice.

Rick

360 Add on Drives suffer similar problems.

The solution is to wash the disc in hot soapy (gentle soap only) water. Then the Combo disks work just fine. It's theorized the process they use to burn Combo disks leaves a thin residue on the disks and the Drives have problems reading them until the residue is washed off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)