Toshiba HD-A3: Stubborn Network Connectivity Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

geekboy2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Philly Suburbs, PA
I have been around the world and back via Google, and I think I've read and done everything suggested, but the folks here seem very sharp, so here goes:

First, I should say that after repeated failures connecting to the outside world (can not find server), I burned the latest firmware to a CD, and confirmed, the device is already at 1.3.

My setup:
Verizon FIOS w/ActionTech MI424WR router. Connected to that, is a Linksys EZXS55W switch in the living room.

Experience so far:
My iMac, Windows XP box, and Brother network capable laser printer are all hardwired to the ActionTech router and work fine.

In the living room, my Mac Mini and DISH VIP-722 DVR are connected to the Linksys switch, and also work fine.

All of the above devices are viewable, pingable on the network, and all access the outside world just fine.

Now as for the HD-A3:

Whether direct wired to the ActionTech, or via the Linksys switch, the same thing occurs (or doesn't, as the case may be):

I step through the ethernet setup, and when I set DHCP and DNS to "on", and power cycle the device, the gateway, and DHCP addresses always show all zeroes. It does not connect to the outside world, nor can I see it on my network.

If I manually configure it and allow it as follows:

IP: 192.168.1.4 (although other IP addresses are free as well)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP server: 192.168.1.1

With that setup, I can see the HD-A3 on my network, and I can ping it successfully. Still though, it "can not find server".

In other words, nothing I have tried has resulted in this thing being able to see the outside world. I have confirmed the gateway and DHCP addresses are exactly what my Mac Mini and other devices on the network are using.

So:
Are their ports that I need to open for this thing? I spoke with a Toshiba rep yesterday, and he's supposed to e-mail a document from their Japanese Engineering group that references port configuration. Still though, I have seen no other posts anywhere indicating this should be necessary.

Any advice would be much appreciated. On one hand, it would seem defective, but I'm not buying that, because I can see the HD-A3 on my network.

This is very frustrating, and I'd sure like to see what these web-enabled discs are all about ("Transformers" for example).

Thanks very much in advance.

DNS needs to be set up for it to find the out server.

If you want to use DHCP, set DHCP and DNS to on then select the confirm button. Otherwise, the player won't attempt to grab an IP until it is power cycled.

You can ping it, so the problem is likely DNS unless your router/gateway is refusing to pass the packets. (doubtful)

Make sure you click on confirm and that numbers show up when you do.
I have mine going through one router to another router and everything worked the first time I plugged it in.

There's no scenario in which with DNS and DHCP "on" it will find anything but all zeroes after a significant pause after pressing "confirm". Any other device on the network is literally plug and play and it works. The only way I can even ping it, is by manually configuring. I've power cycled, unplugged it, re-initialized it, with no luck. If I felt like I might have better luck with another brand, I'd take this back in a heartbeat, but Toshiba seems to be the only HD brand (other than the LG combo players), and I'm guessing they all use the same internet connectivity setup process. This totally has me beat. Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Mark

Does the switch have an uplink port? I ask because my 2nd router does and I can't use the port next to the uplink port when the uplink one is in use (connected to the 1st router). They share the same circuitry.
Other than that, maybe a mac filter somewhere is on. You could also try putting the HD-A3 on a different port, but it should of worked when plugged into the router if that was the case.

Does the switch have an uplink port? I ask because my 2nd router does and I can't use the port next to the uplink port when the uplink one is in use (connected to the 1st router). They share the same circuitry.
Other than that, maybe a mac filter somewhere is on. You could also try putting the HD-A3 on a different port, but it should of worked when plugged into the router if that was the case.

Yes, it does have an uplink port, and I did skip the port next to it. In any order, in any configuration, everything plugged into the switch (or directly into the router) works, except the HD-A3. I have even made that the DMZ device, allowing it full access to the internet, and still nothing. I figure all of the other Toshiba models use the same ethernet implementation, or I'd take it back and either switch it out or upgrade. The only other choice is an LG combo player, but that's at nearly 4X the price I paid for this.

Mark

There's no scenario in which with DNS and DHCP "on" it will find anything but all zeroes after a significant pause after pressing "confirm". Any other device on the network is literally plug and play and it works. The only way I can even ping it, is by manually configuring. I've power cycled, unplugged it, re-initialized it, with no luck. If I felt like I might have better luck with another brand, I'd take this back in a heartbeat, but Toshiba seems to be the only HD brand (other than the LG combo players), and I'm guessing they all use the same internet connectivity setup process. This totally has me beat. Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Mark

I have all my gear set up with static ip addresses, but I remember when I first got my A2 I left DHCP and DNS to on. I was in a hurry so I left them in on to do the FW update, and I remember having zeros in the fields as well. I think that is normal for that to look that way. I then set it up manually, and like a few posts back you need the DNS to be 192.168.0.1 to get out. Sorry you had to take it back, and good luck with the PS3. Let us know if you need help with that. You may have to some port forwarding to the PSN.

I have all my gear set up with static ip addresses, but I remember when I first got my A2 I left DHCP and DNS to on. I was in a hurry so I left them in on to do the FW update, and I remember having zeros in the fields as well. I think that is normal for that to look that way. I then set it up manually, and like a few posts back you need the DNS to be 192.168.0.1 to get out. Sorry you had to take it back, and good luck with the PS3. Let us know if you need help with that. You may have to some port forwarding to the PSN.

Thanks very much. The PS3 connected without a hitch, and has been great so far. Naturally, this is the place to come when trouble arises though. What a great group, and board!:up

Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)