Toshiba Quits DVD Talks With Sony

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
TOKYO - Japanese electronic maker Toshiba has given up on negotiations with a rival camp led by Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). to agree on a unified format for next-generation DVDs, a media report said late Tuesday.

Toshiba Corp. leads a group of companies that support the HD DVD format and has been in talks with a Sony-led bloc, which backs the Blu-ray format.

"It is regrettable but unavoidable that two formats will remain (on the market)," Kyodo News agency quoted an unnamed Toshiba official as saying.

Officials were unavailable for immediate comment late Tuesday.

The two blocs developed their DVD formats separately, but growing concern about confusion among consumers over the different formats prompted Sony and Toshiba to start negotiations on a unified format earlier this year.

Kyodo said, however, that two rival formats were certain to continue as Toshiba's move follows a decision by Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. from the Sony camp to also abandon the negotiations.

Sony's Blu-ray disks have a more sophisticated format and play back 25 GB of data compared with HD DVD's 15, but are more expensive to produce.

Both sides are already developing products that feature the respective DVD formats. Toshiba plans to roll out HD DVD players by the end of this year, while Sony's popular game console PlayStation 3, which will play Blu-ray disks, is due out in spring 2006.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050823/ap_on_hi_te/japan_next_generation_dvd;_ylt=AgszRgbIK1GaglPL0bWUO5MjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Looks like it's going to be a while before either camp get's my $'s. I'm not going to invest in what might turn up to be a dead format.

I am still on the fence in the DVD-Audio/SACD war... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)