Toshiba TRX 1800 with 10 FT Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksmithtwn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Canada
There is an ad on a local "for sale" site I was searching for FTA boxes and I found this ad:

"10 foot mesh satellite dish and Toshiba TRX 1800 Video Pal Receiver. Remote. Working condition. We would like it out of our yard. They make great gazebos!"

I've attached a picture of the dish, I would like some input towards this receiver and dish, there looking for someone to take it for free! Is it a good receiver, good dish? Should I get it?

Attachments

• YOW3586895.1.jpg
    YOW3586895.1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 261
"They make great gazebos!" - Blasphemy!

The dish looks like it would come apart fairly easily. If you haven't got a C-Band system, I'd grab it if I were you. I use a GI2400R receiver on my system, so even if the receiver isn't any good to you, you can use your GI receiver on that dish.. I can't judge by the picture how much of the pole is sticking out of the ground, but when I got my free C-Band dish, I was able to salvage enough of the pole to use it in my yard. I bought a cut-off disc for my angle grinder and cut the pole off at the ground. 8ft was salvaged.

The dish looks like it would come apart fairly easily. If you haven't got a C-Band system, I'd grab it if I were you. I use a GI2400R receiver on my system, so even if the receiver isn't any good to you, you can use your GI receiver on that dish..
I sent the guy an email asking him if it comes apart easily and how many pieces are there.. I don't have a C-Band system which is why I am jumping on this dish. I have a 2410R C/Ku Band receiver so it would work great for it, the TRX 1800, is it analog? I've done some quick research and cant find too much on it.

In the end would I be able to move the dish with the 2410R and obtain the signal using my PCI / DVB card?

I can't judge by the picture how much of the pole is sticking out of the ground, but when I got my free C-Band dish, I was able to salvage enough of the pole to use it in my yard. I bought a cut-off disc for my angle grinder and cut the pole off at the ground. 8ft was salvaged.
I never thought of that aspect, if need be I could get a new pole. I used to have a C-Band system and got rid of it (This is before I really knew what it could do and I've regretted it ever since) right now the pole at my old house has a bird feeder on top.

I sent the guy an email asking him if it comes apart easily and how many pieces are there.. I don't have a C-Band system which is why I am jumping on this dish. I have a 2410R C/Ku Band receiver so it would work great for it, the TRX 1800, is it analog? I've done some quick research and cant find too much on it.

In the end would I be able to move the dish with the 2410R and obtain the signal using my PCI / DVB card?

I never thought of that aspect, if need be I could get a new pole. I used to have a C-Band system and got rid of it (This is before I really knew what it could do and I've regretted it ever since) right now the pole at my old house has a bird feeder on top.

Since the TRX 1800 has a Video Pal unit, then I would say that it is most likely analog. I have no experience with the Toshiba brand, I'm sure that others here could help you better with that.

There are splitters available that you could use to split the signal. I have my Fortec Receiver connected to my C-Band LNB, and the loop-out connection on the Fortec goes to my GI-2400 receiver. My GI2400 moves the dish and controlls the polarity. I don't use any splitters on my setup, but depending on what equipment you have, you may need to buy one. There are many different configurations you can use I'm sure.

Get the dish. You won't regret it :) Lots of HD feeds etc.

well the 1800 series is probably the midrange or upper midrange model
i know they had a 80 series , a 1400 & 1500 series and 1800 & 2000 series and the top end 2200 series. probably the toshiba will be a bit better than the GI 2410 as to programmnig satellites ( its probably menu driven) . but in the end its a analog receiver and can move a dish and change the polarity on the corotors ( if involved)

free???

Get it :)

Those dishes probably come apart pretty easy. I know my 10 footer I had had a bunch of bolts to hold the mesh panels together

Thanks for the info everyone, if anyone else has more info im still open to comments towards it.

If the guy doesnt email me tonight Ill call him tomorrow once I get home.

Newbie question, but I will be able to get digital C-Band with this dish / LNB right? I have a digital card.. and can get a FTA box.

Last edited:
Those dishes probably come apart pretty easy. I know my 10 footer I had had a bunch of bolts to hold the mesh panels together
Good to know :)

The only problem I might have is A) The pole, I dont have one at home and I heard existing ones are hard to get out of the ground.. also B) Im going to have to see if I can get it in to the back of a VW Passat :p

Last edited:
most likely it will be good enough to get digital c band ( won't know until you look at the lnbf)
i always take note of the direction the dish is pointing before taking down, when reinstalling , most likely its pointing at a (parked at) satellite. so if your location is close to where the dish is going to be placed back up then this will make installation easy.

Newbie question, but I will be able to get digital C-Band with this dish / LNB right? I have a digital card.. and can get a FTA box.

yes it will work for analog & digital C-Band. Depending on the mesh size it might work for KU too. If you can stick a pencil through the mesh holes then it wont work well for KU

But will work fine for C-Band :)

Good to know :)

The only problem I might have is A) The pole, I dont have one at home and I heard existing ones are hard to get out of the ground.. also B) Im going to have to see if I can get it in to the back of a VW Passat :p

A) Might be worth while trying to salvage the pole that is above the ground. I cut off the pole for my free dish right at the ground using a grinder.

B) You must have a buddy with a pickup truck... :) Where do you live? I'd help out if you're close by, I have a small pickup truck :)

B) You must have a buddy with a pickup truck... :) Where do you live? I'd help out if you're close by, I have a small pickup truck :)
Thanks for the offer! But I live in Eastern Ontario so I think I'm a little far away :p Thanks again

Also, I heard back from the woman she says that she has someone else coming to look at it and if he is a no show she will call me. I've got a bad feeling about this..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)