Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Toshiba's RD-A1 Hard Disk Recorder with HD DVD is World's First
by Shane Sturgeon

Excerpt:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Toshiba Corporation today unveiled the future of home video entertainment in an age of digital, high definition content: the world's first digital hard disk video recorder integrating a recordable HD DVD in combination with a 1-terabyte (TB) hard disk. The new "RD-A1" can record and store up to 130 hours of high-definition (HD) broadcasts on its high capacity hard disk and record up to 230 minutes of HD content to a single HD DVD disc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Bulletin: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2006/06/toshibas_rd-a1.php

Well this is what I want to wait for. Forget about everything else.... I will gladly pay money for something like this.

Looks like it supports 1080p also.... :)
No mention of a price either that I saw. I bet it costs the bomb.
The video quality should be nice. It is using a 14bit video DAC. (Is this not so impressive when talking about HD-DVD?)

That price is insane:down:river .....Even if it can do this::what :river

The new Toshiba machine is capable of storing up to 130 hours of high-definition terrestrial digital broadcasting programmes on its hard disk and up to 230 minutes of programmes with the same quality on a dual-layer 30-gigabyte HD DVD disc.

This is ridiculous: you can already record OTA HD, the only difference here is the recorder.
This is nothing but a disgusting grab attempt - 1TB of disc space doesn't cost more than $500, a capture card is around $100, rest of them basic electronics plus a recorder - even with very high profit margin it still shouldn't be over ~$1,500... :(

T2k said:
This is ridiculous: you can already record OTA HD, the only difference here is the recorder.
This is nothing but a disgusting grab attempt - 1TB of disc space doesn't cost more than $500, a capture card is around $100, rest of them basic electronics plus a recorder - even with very high profit margin it still shouldn't be over ~$1,500... :(

Someone write this day on the calander because I agree with T2K.

teamerickson said:
I wonder if you could record a HD DVD to the hard drive and then burn it to an HD DVD-R?
with the right ripping software and a HD DVD burner you could do it on a PC Im sure for a hell of a lot less money.

RD-A1 is for Japan only!

Toshiba has no intention of shipping the new machine, RD-A1, outside Japan and aims to sell 10,000 units by December.
The company aims to eventually offer HD DVD recorders with a hard disk drive in overseas markets but currently has no concrete plans.

source

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)