Total Loss of Signal while watching TV

shadesters

Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
WPB, FL
Hi Guys. After setting up my dishes a few days ago, and tweaking them, I finally got them all to work tonight (Dish 500 @ 119/110, and a Dish 500 at 61.5 w/ DP34 switch)

The signal strengths were all in the mid 60s+ and I was watching TV fine. There is only 1 receiver (211) connected, and i was thinking it mightve been a power issue, but it was working fine for over an hour and then no signal on any of the 3 satellites. The skies are clear and the dishes haven't moved, everything is tightened down. What could be the problem?

Can you do a check switch? Do you get a blank screen? Can you provide more detail as to what you mean by signal loss.

This equipment can die instantly without any sign that there is a problem.

I was watching tv, then it all of sudden was looking for 119 or 110 or 61.5 (the screen where it shows 0 out of 5)

so I went into the signal test and all 3 satellites were showing no signal, when 30 seconds before that I was watching tv for over an hour, no loss of signal.

It wasnt raining or even cloudy, so the weather wasnt a problem... and today I unplugged everything from the switch and then plugged it back in and got a signal again, but now I need to do a check switch as its only picking up 119 when I try to test the signal on 110 and 61.5 (wrong sat error)

very frustrating at the least :confused:

Your receiver powers the switch. So any corrosion or break in the cables will stop all signals. Be sure that the "stinger" core wire sticks out more than 1/8 inch, that there are no strands of the shield shorting to the core, and that all couplings/feed-thrus look good. Then with the cable connected to the receiver check the voltage on the cable where it goes to the switch, it must be in the teens of volts--you do have a VOM, I hope. Loss of all channels implies the individual cables into the switch are likely not the problem.
-Ken

I do have a voltage meter but I havent tested the volts coming out of the receiver. I hooked up the 119/110 sat and everything was fine tonight, a few hours without any loss. I am going to add the 61.5 again tomorrow night and watch tv for a while and see if it goes out again. seems like it was just a one time incident (fingers crossed)

but I think it might have been a short, the wiring in this house through the attic is a mess, so I might have to re-do that. thanks for the input

Switch

I do have a voltage meter but I havent tested the volts coming out of the receiver. I hooked up the 119/110 sat and everything was fine tonight, a few hours without any loss. I am going to add the 61.5 again tomorrow night and watch tv for a while and see if it goes out again. seems like it was just a one time incident (fingers crossed)

but I think it might have been a short, the wiring in this house through the attic is a mess, so I might have to re-do that. thanks for the input

Sounds like it could be a switch problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)