Totally confused

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Las Vegas

Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
Whiile watching a Dtv infomersal, the screen text showed the following:

"in order to continue receiving your current HD channels and the new HD content launching soon, you must make sure that you have a B-Band converter attached to each Satellite in-port"

Does this mean that unless I obtain and attach B Band units, I will lose all HD programming?

I currently have an HR 10-250 using two ports, and I have the current HD programming package.

Several months ago I had ordered a new HR20, but they were never able to deliver and install one, so I cancelled.

What's going on???

The B Band converter is only needed for the new D10 satellite, which your HR10-250 will not receive. You do not need it and won't lose any current HD programming until they shut it off on the 110/119 satellites (which probably won't happen for sevral months). You will need a HR20 (and 5 LNB dish) to get any of the new HD programming (and eventually for all HD).

The B Band converter is only needed for the new D10 satellite, which your HR10-250 will not receive. You do not need it and won't lose any current HD programming until they shut it off on the 110/119 satellites (which probably won't happen for sevral months). You will need a HR20 (and 5 LNB dish) to get any of the new HD programming (and eventually for all HD).

I think it will be a lot longer than "several months" when they shut down the 110/119 satellites. I would guess it will be at least a year.

That said, those of us with HR10-250 will be missing out on the majority of HD content very soon.

Jim

Thanks for answering so quickly.

The reason I cancelled my order for an HR20 several months ago was that they kept telling me that the unit was not available. They made appointments for installation, but kept cancelling a day or two before they were to install.

In addition, there were quite a bit of problems being posted about the HR 20, especially with the HDMI.

Can I assume that things are better now?

The HR20 is getting better all the time. Directv has made huge progress on this DVR. I have mine hooked up via HDMI and have had no issues so far.

I have had a HR20 since January with no HDMI (and very few other) problems. I think the main problem is that the HDMI specification might be interpreted differently by different chip makers. I know that H20-100 (non-DVR) receivers have an incompatibility with Samsung and some other televisions, but the HR20s don''t suffer from that. Nearly all of the early problems with the HR20 have been fixed and the software has been updated frequently, both for fixes and new features.

I've had mine about two weeks...video through HDMI, Digital optical for audio, and all is well. I've told a friend that I think the audio is better than the HR10 and I loved that thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.