Tracker Premier System 70, any use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yuccabrevifolia

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Tehachapi CA
Hi folks. I picked one of these up at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. I've seen posts from people using these old units to drive a large dish. Does anyone know of someplace I might find documentation on these things? I turned it on and started to play around with the menus, but being a total newbie to this sort of receiver I have no idea how to set it up. I was hoping to hook it up through my SV Elite and play around with it to familiarize myself with the basic operation, but to be honest, I am completely lost without some sort of manual or documentation.

Or is it best to simply retire this receiver altogether? (which is what I suspect)

Thanks in advance!

I never had one but sounds like a Houston Tracker analog receiver. Does it have motor control built in? Some of the earlier analog receivers had no motor control , or a separate box that connected to the receiver. Later receivers had motor control, and descrambler module slot in one box. If it works, it'd be a candidate to control a big dish, change polarity on an older c-band feedhorn. They're still found on ebay and craigslist cheap.

HTS 70

The HTS tracker 70 was an all in one box. It would run both C & Ku band analog LNB's. It also adjust polarotor for H/V and skew for the variation in polarity. It would run the dish east & west for polar mounted dishes. I would try an internet search to try & find a copy of the manual. Here's a link to a site that might have some of it. It is forum a bit like this one, but not as reputable. Master Password list for popular C-Band Receivers - ABA DSS - Free to Air Satellite TV Community This page is just talking about passwords but maybe they have other stuff related to the HTS 70.

Wow. Thanks Iceberg for the information. I had been to that site, but I didn't make the connection between Echostar/Houston Tracker and this unit. This is exactly what I needed:).

I have one of these receivers. I am wondering if I could use it to go from satellite to satellite with it. I still have the manual, I have to find it. Unlike the US Electronics Orb-5000 at least I know what satellite I am on by the display. It is a pain in the butt to setup the 5000.
yuccabrevifolia, do you want me to PDF it?

Here's some info on the HTS Premier 70 receiver:
It came out around 1993. It used a Xpert Plus Remote Control.
Here's from the Introduction page:
"The Tracker 70 combines the receiver, antenna (dish) positioner, and VideoCipher descrambler into one convenient unit. The receiver contains advanced features including satellite and channel access using the system's UHF Xpert remote control, automatic C-Band to Ku-Band switching, 100 Favorite Video channels, 100 Audio Channels, MasterTrak, Fastrak II, Ku-Band VideoSeek, QwikPeak, full function onscreen displays in either English or North American Spanish, remote volume adjustment and muting, and multi-mode front panel."

I am looking at the back panel of this receiver and am looking at the IF input:

Block Down Converter IF INPUTS
These inputs are provided to connect the receiver to the LNB(s) or BDC(s) at the dish. Connection is made to the HOR/C-BAND input when using a single C-Band servo type feedhorn. Connections are made to both inputs when using a dual C-Band (no Ku) feed. When installing a C/Ku-Band feed system with dual polarity servo motors, connect the C-Band cable to the HOR/C-Band, and the Ku-Band cable to the VERT/Ku-Band."

I wonder if I put the FTA C-Band LNBF on it if it may switch polarity when changing channels? Or is this receiver technology to primitive to do this?

I pulled the receiver out of storage. I am looking at the IF INPUTs at the receiver itself.
Here's the info from above those inputs:

DOWN CONVERTER IF INPUT
LNB POWER 21.2Vdc

I guess that answer my question. Look like I have to use one of those older LNBs with switching of polarities by the servo motor on a Colorada feedhorn.
If it had something like 13/18V above it would work.
Iceberg, if you know more about this issue let me know I am right or wrong.
That receiver were great in its heyday. When I bought my 4DTV receiver, I changed all that out.

Switch

I pulled the receiver out of storage. I am looking at the IF INPUTs at the receiver itself.
Here's the info from above those inputs:

DOWN CONVERTER IF INPUT
LNB POWER 21.2Vdc

I guess that answer my question. Look like I have to use one of those older LNBs with switching of polarities by the servo motor on a Colorada feedhorn.
If it had something like 13/18V above it would work.
Iceberg, if you know more about this issue let me know I am right or wrong.
That receiver were great in its heyday. When I bought my 4DTV receiver, I changed all that out.

I remember there is a row of screw terminals. 2 for power to actuator, 3 for it sensor (2 will be pulse count 1 if sensor needed power +5). There should be 3 for the polarrotor motor (skew for H/V polarity). I think there is also maybe 2 more terminals for a H/V switch. These are off the top of my head since it has been many years since I was installing these and other brands of C/KU sat systems. A C-band FTA LNB will work as long as it works on 950 to 1450 Mhz IF.

Do I still have a lot to learn!

Wow. Thanks all for the wealth of information. I am truly humbled by the expertise here. It also shows me how much has been automated and streamlined with the newer technologies out there. I had no idea this box was that old. The fellow I bought it from told me he had purchased it about five years ago.

MrFTAMan, if it wouldn't be too much trouble I would very much appreciate the PDF. I'm beginning to understand that there is a great deal to learn here. Heck, I don't even know most of the nomenclature. The manual would at least give me an idea of what to research. A lot to absorb for a newbie.

I had been wondering what the IF inputs and the voltages were about.

Thanks again!

Give me a few days to scan this manual, Ok? I wanted to wait till I hear from you if you want the copy of it. I am glad to help!
Also check my post on remote cleaning (posted yesterday, PDF available for downloading). It is in the C-Band section of this forum.
The reason I change my mind on using the HTS 70 is because I will have to use another feedhorn/LNB combination and redoing everything as far as menu setup. My US Electronics ORB-5000 have a 13/18V LNBF input and does the job beautifully. I did a total clean up on its remote control and it works like a charm.

Whatchel, you said in your post that a C-Band FTA LNB will work on the HTS 70. If I run the RG-6 cable from the C/HOR input of the HTS 70 to the GeoSat C2 LNBF on my dish, would that work? The LNB power from this input is 21.2Vdc. Would that fry the LNBF? Would the polarity change, say like on 99W, from Tp 16 (Shepherd Chapel) to Tp 17 (Disney-ABC color bars)?
It would be great if I can do that, so I can see on the HTS 70 display the satellite I'm on.

It wont control a LNBF...you can get H side polarity only if you hook a LNBF directly to it. My Toshiba TRX1420 is the same way

You can slave it to a DVB receiver to get both polarities

Thank you, Iceberg! I will leave it like it is. I am satisfied with the current setup. I will put the HTS 70 back in storage.
The way I got it is that with my ORB-5000 receiver, I can get the polarities right, as long the RG-6 cable is fed to one of the GeoSat inputs and have the RG-6 cable from my Qualitv to the other GeoSat input. That GeoSat LNBF is a great blessing! The Quali would not interfer with the ORB-5000.

thanks again, Iceberg.
My friend tried to sell me a Uniden Ultra for $50 but I don't know if it handles a LNBF and get both polarities. Haven't had a chance to look at it. The Uniden are good receivers.
Right now I am facing another surgery on Dec 14th and my budget will be limited until February. I may start looking for receivers again then.
Does any analog receiver must have 13/18V input for the LNBF to work and change polarities?
My ORB-5000 receiver has a 18V LNBF switch on back of it. It work fine. Wish there are manual for it so I can get full use of it. I found a site that tells how to program the receiver but that's all.

Iceberg, How well will my 4DTV work with the 5 foot Wilson dish? With the ORB-5000 all the analog C-Band channels come in very good, better what the 4DTV on my 8 foot Odum dish.
I am soooo tempting of hooking up the 4DTV to the dish.

thanks again, Iceberg.
My friend tried to sell me a Uniden Ultra for $50 but I don't know if it handles a LNBF and get both polarities. Haven't had a chance to look at it. The Uniden are good receivers.
Right now I am facing another surgery on Dec 14th and my budget will be limited until February. I may start looking for receivers again then.
Does any analog receiver must have 13/18V input for the LNBF to work and change polarities?
My ORB-5000 receiver has a 18V LNBF switch on back of it. It work fine. Wish there are manual for it so I can get full use of it. I found a site that tells how to program the receiver but that's all.

most analog receives wont work with a LNBF. I can assure you the Uniden wont (had one of those a long time ago until it got fried)

I didnt know that Nextwave did until I read the manual (huh I guess they DO have a use....sometimes) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts