Transfer dvr recordings to my PC

hammertime

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
Can I transfer my recordings from my dvr622 to my computer. I would like to watch some of them on my laptop when I travel.

www.pocketdish.com, but there's two problems with that scenario:
  1. You can only transer SD recordings or do a composite capture from the 622 (No HD allowed on the pocketdish)
  2. Once you transfer something a 622 recording from the pocketdish to the PC, it is not viewable on the PC.

I thought I read somewhere that you could capture the recording if you played it, but I don't know what hardware that would require. I also don't know about the quality. That would be a real time transfer.

What do you see as a legal issue? If I paid for the programming, and can watch it on my TV from my DVR, why not from my PC. Of course you can't sell it or upload it to the web.

Steve

1) Get a video capture "device" for your computer or laptop - this can be an internal card, or an external device with USB into the COMPUTER (not the 622). This card/device will have video & audio inputs.

2) Connect 622 outputs via composite video & audio to this device.

3) Play the program on the 622 & record on your computer/laptop. Real-time video play/record.

That's the only easy way. Quality will suffer somewhat, but for viewing on a laptop, will suffice.

this is the reason I bought a TIVO, so that I could use the Tivo2Go feature to watch shows on my laptop... makes traveling a lot nicer...

Dishrip and Dishmod both require him to open his box and remove the hard drive (well, you could tip it without removing the sticker, but you gotta put your box next to the pc to connect it...), and that would transfer your stuff over. But you're not done at that point.

Basically what you want to do is a pain in the ass and not 100% workable.

I got on dishrip but I couldn't find out anything on the dvr622. I got lots of information on the 7000. I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the advice and the pretty pictures.

hammertime said:
I got on dishrip but I couldn't find out anything on the dvr622....
quote from the Yahoo PVRexplorer site:
Description: Transfering Recorded programs from Dish Network Model PVR-501/508/510, DVR-522/625 Satellite DVR's to the PC.
The 622 is not supported.
Purogamer said:
...Dishrip and Dishmod both require him to open his box and remove the hard drive...
Basically what you want to do is a pain in the ass and not 100% workable.
As for being a pain, and not 100% workable...
It is a whole 'nother hobby, and does take time, tools, and skills.
I record Formula 1 races every week, along with a number of favorite TV shows.
(and I don't remove my PVRs hard drive)

Many people would be better served and just as happy to get a stand-alone DVD recorder.

I use an old ATI All in Wonder video capture card to record from my Dish 522, and I just use the S-video output to go straight in and get pretty good quality transfer. The only pain is that you have to let each thing play in "real time," but usually I can output that from TV2, so I can still watch TV1 while TV2 is outputting and recording. All that being said, it took me a while to figure out the right configurations and settings for codecs, video resolution, and all the little things that apply when capturing video, but in the end, it was worth it, and still is, until the great mythic day we might can output the data to a PC using the USB port.

Can you tell me where to get a replay box. That sounds like it might work. I want to record to my pc in digital. I hope it will transfer digitally????

Search in ebay: ReplayTV

If you get more than one you can share shows between them on your network, but make sure they are from the same series. I like the 4xxx and 45xx series the best. Make sure your PC has decent processing power and memory, along with plenty of HDD storage; I added 2 300GB drives to mine. A combo burner that handles DVD-9 (dual layer) burner is also a great addition so you don't have to lower resolutions on longer recordings. Make sure you use top quality blanks such as TYG02 coded discs for standard (Taiyo Yuden) or MKM001/003 codes on Verbatim brands. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia always check for your burner's best compatability list. Not all blanks are the same, nor is the cheapest the best. Top rated seller that lists disc codes: http://www.supermediastore.com

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts