Transfer files between two 522s?

BountyHunter

Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Dish just sent us a new 522 to replace the one we've been using, and I'm wondering if it might be possible to transfer the programming from the old box to the new one before I disconnect it and send it back, using the USB ports on both, for example.

I've spent a good deal of time looking at posts on various forums already, and I've talked to someone at Dish, supposedly a tech, who didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

Any ideas? :cool:

Short answer.. NO!

Long answer.. Well there isn't one.. It just can't be done.. Maybe oneday but don't hold your breath

Let me add.. If you have the smarts I suppose you could swap the hard drives.. But that would be a pain

Swap 522 hard drives?

Short answer.. NO!

Long answer.. Well there isn't one.. It just can't be done.. Maybe oneday but don't hold your breath

Let me add.. If you have the smarts I suppose you could swap the hard drives.. But that would be a pain

Thanks, skyviewmark, for that suggestion. Unfortunately, we're replacing the box because the current hard drive has started having weird problems. Like hitting the skip forward button puts us back at the very beginning of the recorded program. Sort of a pain when you have maybe 10 minutes left to watch!!

And . . . the 522 is now saying it can't open files, like of pieces of programs stored after hitting the record button.

Oh well. I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Hard drives fail.. Always have and probably always will.. That is the problem with DVR's.. I personally don't ever consider content on my hard drive as permenent.. Because sooner or later it is going to be lost. It's just a matter of time.. If Dish would just get the external hard drive thing going so we could back it up it wouldn't be so bad.. All Hard Drives need a back up.

The only thing and I mean only thing you can do is take both hard drives out of the DVR's and put them into a PC and get a copy of Norton Ghost and copy one to the other. But that is not something just anyone can do.

software change

You probably aware of this but, there has been a change in your software that was downloaded not to long ago, the bad software is 4.11, if youv'e had good luck with your old 522 until recentlly you might want to see if they get the software fixed. There is a 4.12 version out there now but I'm still having your problems with that version as well.

Yep my 522 was doing the same thing skipping forward would make it start over. 4.11 was the problem. I got 4.12 and it seems to be better. I would wait too because I wouldn't want to lose all the stuff I had on my DVR for no reason. Also your probably going to still have the problem on the new 522 if it has the same software :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)