Transferring recordings from bad 622 to 722

SoonerSteve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
San Antonio, TX
I have searched the forums and haven't found an answer to this specific question.

I have a 622 with a failed HDMI port. Dish is sending someone out tomorrow to try and "fix" it. I tried to explain that without a soldering iron this isn't really possible, but hey, the call is free for me.

During the conversation I specifically asked that the technician have a replacement receiver because we know that my 622 will need to be replaced. The CSR mentioned that I might get a 722 as a replacement (oh darn). I told her no worries, I am moving all of my recordings to my external Seagate FreeAgent 500GB drive and will not lose a thing.

She perks up and says that the 722 will not recognize the drive and that saving my recordings in this way isn't possible. WTF, over? From what I have read she isn't correct, but I would like confirmation.

A co-worker had to replace his 622 and the new 622 re-formatted his drive quite nicely and ruined his recordings.

Any advise from the bretheren? The CSR is off the reservation on this one, right?

AFIAK, an EHD is tied to a single DVR permanently. Sorry, man, but if you have recordings, they're useless to anything but the DVR with the bad HDMI port.

Info incorrect

AFIAK, an EHD is tied to a single DVR permanently. Sorry, man, but if you have recordings, they're useless to anything but the DVR with the bad HDMI port.

The EHD is tied to the account and not to the receiver. This why it is possible to move one from one unit in a house to another as long as they are on the same account. My guess is the the unit needs to have a hit to enable it before the EHD is hooked up to it to keep it from the format the drive.

If you have not already, you will need to pay the one time fee to enable EHD usage.

You will be fine doing this, if the new unit says it wants to format your drive do NOT let it proceed, instead call support and have them resend the authorization hit.

Thanks, everyone. I have had the archiving feature since it became available so the fee isn't the issue. I figured this was just another example of the well informed technical CSR's at Dish and you all confirmed it for me. Thanks for the tip on resending the authorization hit. I will make sure that happens.

Use the EHD

I just went through the same hassle with my 622. I hooked up the component cables, transferred everything to EHD, swapped DVRs, and was back in business!

P.S.
I did make sure all the activation was done before I hooked up the EHD to the new DVR and it acted like nothing had happened. I got the message on the screen about the EHD and asked me what I wanted to do. I selected to Manage the EHD and transferred some of the files to the new DVR.

The EHD is tied to the account and not to the receiver. This why it is possible to move one from one unit in a house to another as long as they are on the same account. My guess is the the unit needs to have a hit to enable it before the EHD is hooked up to it to keep it from the format the drive.

That sucks..Dish told me it wasn't possible to transfer the old data to the replacement receiver even though I asked specifically that...grrr. All my wonderful concerts from the poof-gone channel RAVE. Oh well

That sucks..Dish told me it wasn't possible to transfer the old data to the replacement receiver even though I asked specifically that...grrr. All my wonderful concerts from the poof-gone channel RAVE. Oh well
A day late and a dollar short.;)

I used the component cables to get a picture on my TV since the HDMI crapped out!

The way your previous statement reads is that you used component cable to connect to EHD. You never mentioned anything about a tv connection. Sorry I got confused with your setup.

"I just went through the same hassle with my 622. I hooked up the component cables, transferred everything to EHD, swapped DVRs, and was back in business!"

The way your previous statement reads is that you used component cable to connect to EHD. You never mentioned anything about a tv connection. Sorry I got confused with your setup.

"I just went through the same hassle with my 622. I hooked up the component cables, transferred everything to EHD, swapped DVRs, and was back in business!"

Since the OP was talking about losing his HDMI, I went with the flow since my HDMI had gone out too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)