Transferring to EHD

As mentioned by others, the HDD is partitioned with "user" storage space and Dish space. All of the movies shown on channel "501" are all downloaded to the hard drive to Dish's section. PTAT recordings *used* to be stored there as well but Dish moved them to help their case when the networks started suing them over Autohop.

Last edited:
Thank you for telling me how to do this. I'd have never figured it out by myself.

Mine says, "External Device 1 is 59% Full with 2044 Recordings."

All those recordings and only 59% full is amazing because my Hopper, with the same size HD, was about 85% full. I believe this is because the Hopper's internal HD uses a lot of space to store software, etc.

Just read Hall's post up above and he explains how the Hopper's internal HD is partitioned for some of it to be used by Dish.

Does this mean they would be physically on the EHD, but that I would never be able to access them?
Thanks. That would mean that a "90% full" Hopper would still leave a lot of empty space on the EHD if it is all transferred over. But the trick there is that apparently I could not access the ones that are over the 999 limit.
I am only repeating what has been posted here in the past. I have not done this myself, although I'd better check a couple of my drives to be sure.

But as it was previously posted, way back, you could transfer over as many as there was space for, but you'd only see about a thousand of them. Then, when you deleted or transferred off a program, one of the "hidden" ones would reappear.

I am only repeating what has been posted here in the past. I have not done this myself, although I'd better check a couple of my drives to be sure.

But as it was previously posted, way back, you could transfer over as many as there was space for, but you'd only see about a thousand of them. Then, when you deleted or transferred off a program, one of the "hidden" ones would reappear.

I've read the same thing also. I've read more than once about the 999 limit. I never thought of whether this refers to 999 individual recordings. If not, then perhaps a hundred recordings of the same TV show would all go under the banner of one folder and only count as "1" toward that 999 limit?

I wonder about this because my total number of folders would still fall under 999 if we think of one of those folders (with hundreds of episodes under the same show title) as just one. From what I can see, everything I transferred is viewable, so I'm guessing that my 60s on 6 (with over 1,000 individual recordings) only counts as one within the 999 limit.

Not sure if I'm making any sense here, but I've never been accused of being sensible anyway. LOL

Reactions: navychop
Here's a new question. I recently received my WD 2TB MyBook EHD. I have all of my HWS recorded content transferred over to it and my new HWS will be delivered Wednesday to replace my faulty existing one.

I purchased the EHD from Amazon and just received an offer from Amazon for a product called:
WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage

My question involves the product description, which says this cloud storage can backup all my computers. I already subscribe to i-Drive, so I don't need it for this purpose. But it does raise a question.

Since the Hopper recordings use Dish proprietary software -- and the EHD recordings cannot be played back with non-Dish equipment -- would these recordings, if backed up on the cloud, be recoverable and usable on a replacement EHD (connected to the Hopper, of course) if my new one should go bad?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but it would really be cool if I could use this Amazon offering, or my current i-Drive subscription, to protect the recordings if the EHD should fail.

Whaddya think? This probably would not work?

Here's a new question. I recently received my WD 2TB MyBook EHD. I have all of my HWS recorded content transferred over to it and my new HWS will be delivered Wednesday to replace my faulty existing one.

I purchased the EHD from Amazon and just received an offer from Amazon for a product called:
WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage

My question involves the product description, which says this cloud storage can backup all my computers. I already subscribe to i-Drive, so I don't need it for this purpose. But it does raise a question.

Since the Hopper recordings use Dish proprietary software -- and the EHD recordings cannot be played back with non-Dish equipment -- would these recordings, if backed up on the cloud, be recoverable and usable on a replacement EHD (connected to the Hopper, of course) if my new one should go bad?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but it would really be cool if I could use this Amazon offering, or my current i-Drive subscription, to protect the recordings if the EHD should fail.

Whaddya think? This probably would not work?

Will not work! EHD needs to be directly controlled by Hopper and is reformatted by Dish as you say. Without disconnecting the drive how would you try and get the content backed up? Drive would NOT be recognized by any other operating system as it has been reformatted. Stick with the direction that you are going and be happy :).
Gerry

Will not work! EHD needs to be directly controlled by Hopper and is reformatted by Dish as you say. Without disconnecting the drive how would you try and get the content backed up? Drive would NOT be recognized by any other operating system as it has been reformatted. Stick with the direction that you are going and be happy :).
Gerry
Actually it is formatted in Linux ext3 or ext4 and it is possible to copy an EHD. I have done it, you just have to copy all partitions with no changes. When I got a second hopper, I copied the existing EHD and plugged the copy into the second Hopper so I could view them from either one. Obviously movies that have been added since the copy are only available to the connected hopper

Reactions: TheKrell
My replacement HWS arrived today & I've got it up & running. I noticed that it came with the S529 software version whereas my old unit was still on S528.

PROBLEM: When I go into the DVR section, I cannot figure out how to create the 5 additional folders that can be added along with the "No Folder" one. Unless the S529 eliminated this ability to create those extra folders?

I remember creating them when I first received my original HWS and it seems like there was a bit of navigating through the settings to find where to create them?

Can someone refresh my memory on how to do this -- assuming we can still do it with the latest version of the old (and eventually outgoing) UI?

Thanks much!

Thank you. I had forgotten it can take a few days for everything to be restored as with the old machine. Very little info on my program guide, but that will take care of itself also.

Ahhh, just took a look at the program guide and it updated itself during the night.

Thanks Bobby.

My replacement HWS arrived today & I've got it up & running. I noticed that it came with the S529 software version whereas my old unit was still on S528.

PROBLEM: When I go into the DVR section, I cannot figure out how to create the 5 additional folders that can be added along with the "No Folder" one. Unless the S529 eliminated this ability to create those extra folders?

I remember creating them when I first received my original HWS and it seems like there was a bit of navigating through the settings to find where to create them?

Can someone refresh my memory on how to do this -- assuming we can still do it with the latest version of the old (and eventually outgoing) UI?

Thanks much!

If you figure out how to create custom folders would you explain the procedure? My purchased HWS s/b here tomorrow for a saturday install. Not much info available on how to do it with current S/W.
Thanks, Gerry

Just like with my first Hopper a year ago, I found how to create the custom folders almost by accident.

There are probably simpler ways to start the process, but I'll tell you the exact steps that I used:
* naturally, begin by hitting the DVR button
* open the "No Folder" folder
* use the cursor to select the EDIT function
* click on the recordings you want to transfer to the new folder you are about to create
* click the green EDIT ACTION button
* click on "Add to Folder"
* A screen will open up and the bottom of the list will say something like "create folder"
* click on this and a new screen will open up where you can name the folder
* after doing this, click on DONE and the new folder should then be created

You can do this a total of 5 times, which would then give you the 5 new folders + the "No Folder."

I hope this helps,
Chuck

Reactions: dsheri
Just like with my first Hopper a year ago, I found how to create the custom folders almost by accident.

There are probably simpler ways to start the process, but I'll tell you the exact steps that I used:
* naturally, begin by hitting the DVR button
* open the "No Folder" folder
* use the cursor to select the EDIT function
* click on the recordings you want to transfer to the new folder you are about to create
* click the green EDIT ACTION button
* click on "Add to Folder"
* A screen will open up and the bottom of the list will say something like "create folder"
* click on this and a new screen will open up where you can name the folder
* after doing this, click on DONE and the new folder should then be created

You can do this a total of 5 times, which would then give you the 5 new folders + the "No Folder."

I hope this helps,
Chuck

Chuck, thanks! Will print out procedure and give it a go. I will wait until Sunday- giving the HWS a overnight "settle" first..
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)