• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
Since D11 has been lauched succesful when do you expect the old MPEG2 channels be converted to MPEG4?

I expect it to happen sometime in between the three month and december options. I would not be suprised though if they get pushed to the back burner and come a little later.

I hope that they transition them within the end of the month... More importantly if they really want me to buy Wrestlemaina, they would swich the HD PPV Event channel to Mpeg4! I would expect a simlucast atleast for 6 months so that way they can do swapouts. Honestly I dont think there are that many MPEG2 HD recivers out there left to swap.

Within the month is that realistic? If it is I hope they can so we can have both ESPN and TNT in MPEG4 before the NBA playoffs.

I would hope that D* would mirror the old MPEG2 channels in MPEG4 ASAP so the new receivers can take advantage of the better compression/bandwidth and then disco the MPEG2 channel when their counts show not many MPEG2 STB's left out there. However I think they're going to concentrate on adding new national HD and LIL's and will be too busy to make that a priority.

I would hope that D* would mirror the old MPEG2 channels in MPEG4 ASAP so the new receivers can take advantage of the better compression/bandwidth and then disco the MPEG2 channel when their counts show not many MPEG2 STB's left out there. However I think they're going to concentrate on adding new national HD and LIL's and will be too busy to make that a priority.
My exact hopes, and thoughts of what will happen

I hope that they transition them within the end of the month... More importantly if they really want me to buy Wrestlemaina, they would swich the HD PPV Event channel to Mpeg4! I would expect a simlucast atleast for 6 months so that way they can do swapouts. Honestly I dont think there are that many MPEG2 HD recivers out there left to swap.
I SERIOUSLY doubt that they'll switch in time for Wrestlemania. I hope they do switch those PPV feeds soon, because WWE HD on MPEG2 is nothing to marvel at. I found that out at the Royal Rumble.

I do wish that they would reduce the prices of their events, or HD stuff in general. It seems cruel that we have to pay $20 more for PPV HD events ($10 for access, $10 for the actual event.)

Unfortunately, everything I've read / heard points to no plans to duplicate the channels in mpeg4. I don't expect it until 2009, when they complete a hardware swap for existing HD customers. The good news is that they are speeding up the hardware swaps, now doing all sports package customers and starting DNS customers.

Since D11 has been lauched succesful when do you expect the old MPEG2 channels be converted to MPEG4?

Are we talking about ALL the mpeg2 to mpeg 4, or just the remaining HD mpeg 2 channels ?

If you talking about the remaining HD channels, I would guess by the end of the year, if you talking the rest of ALL the mpeg 2 channels, '09

If ALL is the definiition of thepost, there are TONS of mpeg 2 rec's still out there and many that will NOT change (have no HD TV's as of yet) unless they are free, and I understand that entirely, seeing they are not the ones asking the company to change the format they use, it is the company that should essentially be responsible for swapping them out, we all have our new mpeg4 equipment because we CHOOSE to have the new equipment..

jmo,
Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.